Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "Ace In The Hole"

Author Topic: "Ace In The Hole"
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billy Wilders 1951 film that flopped at its initial release is an understated gem and quite is possibly his best work of all. Its also a story that closly parallels the recent coal mine disaster and media carnival in Central Utah no less. Kirk Douglas is amazing in this film and he plays a self centered asshole news reporter to the very end. This film hasn't been available to see since the early 60's and the new Criterion DVD looks great and sounds great the transfer having come from a fine grain dupe negative and original optial elements. Fans of Wilder don't miss this one!! 5 out of 5 stars...

I wish movies were still made this way today!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2007 01:22 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was also known as The Big Carnival. It aired under that title on American Movie Classics, back when that channel was still watchable.
One of the channels I miss most since dropping cable is Turner Classic Movies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-20-2007 10:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After watching much of the "extras" that came with the DVD I somewhat concluded that Paramount re-cut and re-titled the picture "Big Carnival" after Wilders original cut. This was the last film he made in which he didn't maintain controling rights on the final edit. I would guess that whats on the DVD is indeed his own work since its the original title.

Mark

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2007 11:14 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We recently made a replacement main title for Paramount's studio print, but no other changes.
I believe that there were no changes in the content of the film.

RPM

Robert W. Jones
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Robert W. Jones   Email Robert W. Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criterion's transfer and release is absolutely fantastic. Even has a newspaper insert.

Thank god they finally got it out of the vault. Billy Wilder's best film in my book.

Rob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: