Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » HDMI to DVI connection problem

Author Topic: HDMI to DVI connection problem
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 08:38 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to hook up an Panasonic DVD player (S97 model) to a Panasonic DLP projector (DW5000 model). the player has HDMI out and the projector has DVI input I purchased a HDMI to DVI cable made all the necessary parameter changes but i cannot get any signal , i have used another cable to rule out faulty cable but still no joy.

signal is fine with RCA leads so the unit do work.

If anyone is familiar with these units maybe someone can assist.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-06-2007 08:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this is a long shot, but it may be possible that the DVI input either relies on analog input (DVI can be analog for some reason) or the DVI jack needs to be set to specifically receive digital input over analog in some menu inside the projector. I imagine that you've already tried all of this, though.

Also, is the resolution of the DVD player compatible with the projector? It's easy to up/downscale analog signals, but maybe it doesn't do it with digital ones. I've seen kookier things.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to use a HDMI to DVI adapter from my DVD to a Hitachi TV and it worked fine. Just keep in mind DVI does not have sound so you'll have to use RCA's for that.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2007 02:52 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar issue with a Sony DVD player - Be sure you don't have RCA and HDMI connected at the same time. I also have a dvd-recorder that requires me to manually turn on HDMI in a menu somewhere so check that too. You may also need to be sure that Progressive Scan is turned on.

EDIT: I just looked at the manual for your DVD player online and you have to turn HDMI on. Choose setup and look for the HDMI tab. It appears that doing so turns off the component out.

The manual for the projector states that you must set the DVI EDID settings to match the device. In this case, EDID1.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 09:09 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys I will have another attack at this and see what happens.

John Caswell
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2007 03:55 PM      Profile for John Caswell   Email John Caswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, it may not be getting a signal if the DVD player uses HDCP encryption. We have a Samsung DVD player that uses this, and a Christie CP2000 Projector that doesn't use HDCP.
We also use a HDMI to DVI lead. Because the projector doesn't operate HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), it can't decode the signal it's receiving, hence no signal. We've had to use RGB leads instead.

Not sure about the Panasonic DLPs, but would imagine it's the same thing.

John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: