Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Borat goes for the pirated look (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Borat goes for the pirated look
Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 01:28 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Borat DVD packaging is designed to make it look like it was pirated in a former Soviet republic, complete with Cyrillic lettering, blurry text and images, faux anti-piracy logo, washed-out colors, and handwritten title on a faux DVD-R. I think the joke is brilliant. The look is done beautifully (as anyone who has been to a foreign country where piracy is rampant can testify).

Borat DVD looks Pirated

quote:
Fear not, that Borat DVD you bought at Best Buy is not pirated, although appearances are somewhat deceiving.

As it turns out the DVD release of Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan was made to look low-budget. Apparently there is not a word of english on the packaging. The DVD cover also appears to look color-copied (complete with off color tones, slightly blurred company logos, blurry text and moire pattern/lithographic scans. Now that’s funny.

Here's the packaging (image from the article):
 -

And here's a shot of the disc, being held by an unnamed but obviously good-looking former theatre manager:
 -

The logo of the disc says:

DEMOREZ
Is life? No. Demorez.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did this with one of the 3 billion different 'Army of Darkness' releases too.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 03-02-2007 11:03 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Borat comes in one of those slip cover over the regular DVD case. I got mine last week and it's was a cute idea. The slip cover is in english and the dvd case that's under it is the fake looking one.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-02-2007 10:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edwin Sheldon
The Borat DVD packaging is designed to make it look like it was pirated in a former Soviet republic, complete with Cyrillic lettering
Not really. Apparently those pirates from a former Soviet republic can't spell properly. It says "VOYADT" on the title (V-O-YA-D-T). "Borat" looks like this in capital Cyrillic letters:

БОРАТ

With the picture of the now very well known character on the cover, that would have been much more "realistic" and still very recognizeable. And of course, he had to have his name in clearly legible Roman letters on the front to satisfy his vanity. At least the cover should have a completely "authentic" post-Soviet pirate look, for a really genuine WTF?!? moment when you have the DVD in your hand. But like everything Borat, just a mildly funny idea half-assedly realized.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 10:37 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[sleep]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2007 11:39 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, so it won't make much difference if I just make a copy of this instead of buy it? (It's coming out on Blew-Ray too.)

Edwin Sheldon
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 12:33 AM      Profile for Edwin Sheldon   Email Edwin Sheldon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how anyone could call Cohen's attempts at humor 'half-assed' considering the lengths he goes to just for a joke. Sure, you can say he's not funny, but lack of effort? [Roll Eyes]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-03-2007 02:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
Not really. Apparently those pirates from a former Soviet republic can't spell properly. It says "VOYADT" on the title (V-O-YA-D-T).
Michael, I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw it on a poster. This use of Cyrillic characters that look a bit like Roman ones, but aren't, was quite common a few years ago. I would much rather see the name in either Russian or English, but not in some meaningless non-language, which I always found rather annoying. I think the most stupid example I ever saw was a Tee-shirt which said LONDON. I can't easily get Cyrillic characters on my keyboard, though I do have the fonts installed so at least they display correctly. I actually get quite a lot of junk e-mail in Russian for some reason. Anyway, the shirt used a Cyrillic 'I' for 'N', a Cyrillic 'G' for an 'L' and they couldn't think what to do for a 'D', so they just used the Roman one! Even if they had spelt it corrctly, why on Earth would a London shirt be in Russian?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2007 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well shit, now I feel like an ass.

I was at a theater Thursday night wiring up some new video projectors when a manager brought a DVD into the booth and was all excited because he just bought a copy of Borat. I looked at it for all of 5 seconds and started giving him all sorts of shit about how it was a bootleg copy (not knowing it was released on video and they they were intentionally going for the bootleg look) and how he shouldn't do that no matter how badly he wanted to watch or own a copy. He kept insisting that he bought it from Blockbuster video, but I refused to believe him and ended up coming down on him harder and harder until he left the booth quite angry at me.

I guess I need to go back by that theater now and apologize. Stupid marketing!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-03-2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! [Smile]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 10:47 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edwin
quote:
I don't know how anyone could call Cohen's attempts at humor 'half-assed' considering the lengths he goes to just for a joke. Sure, you can say he's not funny, but lack of effort? [Roll Eyes]
I am sure Mahir Cagri thinks Borat/Cohen is "hilarious".

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-03-2007 11:02 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Despite Mahir's accusations [that Cohen stole the character Borat from Mahir], in Borat's 1997 Guide to Britain (Two years before Mahir's website existed), the Kazakh reporter speaks with broken English, wears his famous grey suit, has his trademark mustache, invites his audience to stay with him in Kazakhstan and proudly announces his catchphrase, "I like sex." The Borat character has been in development since 1994 and has evolved from an Albanian reporter named Kristo.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 02:01 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I would much rather see the name in either Russian or English, but not in some meaningless non-language
Night Watch did the same thing to "spell" Nochnoi Dozor in a way that looked like Latin characters.

quote: Stephen Furley
why on Earth would a London shirt be in Russian
...bunch of Russians living in London now-a-days, right? The two times I've been in London I've seen some of this faux-Cyrillic going on ... back in June there was something on the BBC news about the influx of "Russian Money" into the UK (and they did the Rs and Ns like the Cyrillic "Ya" and "I"), and in December on the bottles of some Russian vodka they had a contest to "win the life of a czar" ... but czar was spelled in Cyrillic as "s-z-d-ya".

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Obviously you have not lived in a free, democratic society like ours for long enough to realize what democracy is all about. In America, everyone has a voice; everyone is allowed to speak: and the people have clearly and resoundingly spoken as to their preference for spelling "BORAT" in Cyrillic. You can sit on your high horse in your ivory tower for as long as you like, but we Americans are good, simple folk with no need for your fascist-elitist 'knowledge' and 'facts'.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-03-2007 10:01 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Seo, I tried, but I couldn't figure out if you are being serious or if you are kidding in "Borat" mode. I hope you are. Knowledge of Cyrillic letters does not automatically indicate someone is from the former Eastern Block. I have lived in "free, democratic" societies all my life. One of the priviledges you enjoy in these is unlimited access to information and education. There is nothing "fascist" or "elitist" about being informed about what's going on. Knowledge is freedom.
Unless you were kidding, I fail to understand what gives you the idea you can appoint yourself the spokesman for an entire people to lend more weight to your personal opinion. So much for "freedom of speech". BTW, I happen to know a lot of "good, simple Americans" who are totally into "fascist-elitist knowledge and facts". Waaaaaaaay smarter people than what you come across as here. And not at all "fascist-elitist". I am sure they wouldn't like to see themselves represented by - you.
But I am pretty sure you were just "borating" me.

quote: Jeremy Jorgenson
...bunch of Russians living in London now-a-days, right? The two times I've been in London I've seen some of this faux-Cyrillic going on ... back in June there was something on the BBC news about the influx of "Russian Money" into the UK (and they did the Rs and Ns like the Cyrillic "Ya" and "I"), and in December on the bottles of some Russian vodka they had a contest to "win the life of a czar" ... but czar was spelled in Cyrillic as "s-z-d-ya".
Maybe you shouldn't reveal on the internet that you have knowledge of the weird letters that some people in the former Eastern Block use and that you have actually travelled to some faraway foreign places such as London. That could be dangerous.
Mr Seo will assume you are a spy and report you to Homeland Security, being the upstanding citizen and spokesperson for his people that he is.
BTW, when did you go to Лондон? I lived there for a while many moons ago and would really love to visit again some time, but it's been 15 years and somehow the opportunity never came up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: