Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Wallace & Gromit - 3 Cracking Adventures (DVD)

Author Topic: Wallace & Gromit - 3 Cracking Adventures (DVD)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 04:51 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Yesterday I purchased Wallace & Gromit - 3 Cracking Adventures (3 Amazing Adventures in the US) DVD and now finished watching the 3 shorts on it. 5 stars for clever animation, great direction and in each case, a great storyline.

I must say I am a big W&G fan now and can't wait for more. I have already ordered my Were-rabbit dvd.

I wonder however whether W&G are popular in the USA. W&G is a very English style of humour and I suspect that American who are used to a punch line style of humour may not find the subtle humour funny. Having had an English grandparent I see a lot of my grandfather's culture in these films.

So for those readers in the US - do you find W&G funny? Or just strange?

Also are any of the W&G short films available on super 8 or 16mm?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-11-2007 04:10 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Australian version of the 'Were rabbit' DVD is the same as the UK one, which I think it may well be, because my 2-disc edition is region 2 and 4, look out for the short 'Stage Fright'; I thought it was rather good.

Kara Tillotson
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2007 05:13 PM      Profile for Kara Tillotson   Author's Homepage   Email Kara Tillotson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOh i LOVE W&G! I am not sure how US people in general feel about them, however, I am aware that the same sort of people who like other British imports like Mr bean, like W&G

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2007 07:37 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up Creature Comforts 2, which now completes my whole W&G/Aardman collection until Flushed Away comes out. [thumbsup] Great stuff!

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2007 07:41 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the US and I (and my family) love W&G - their Christmas-theme DVD is especially enjoyed by my wife (I married a "Christmas elf" so choosing presents is a no-brainer ... as long as it's got a Santa, I've done something brilliant).

I would be inclined to say that the average American moviegoer can't rise to the intellectual strain of appreciating Aardman-style humor - you need Rob Schneider to please the average American (or else, any actor willing to be seen onscreen uttering the word "bootylicious"). But for the Public-TV crowd, W&G rule.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2007 09:55 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my few xmas gifts was a dvd of the GOGS , not sure who made them , it was clay - mation similar to Wallace and Gromit only a little rougher and perhaps an animated variant of the 1981 movie Caveman (ringo starr barbara bach).Anyway I enjoyed it muchly and recommend it to G & G lovers.

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a fan of Aardman studios since 'Creature Comforts.' I bet I've seen 'The Wrong Trousers' a dozen times or more. I even used it as a teaching tool during a stint as a teacher of ESL. Most people i know who've seen the 3 W&G shorts are fans. They were shown on PBS many times some years ago. So to answer the question, even though 'Flushed Away' tanked (as it were), yes, W&G are quuite popular here in the states.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: