Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Cars

Author Topic: Cars
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-28-2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received this DVD for Christmas, and I think this is my favorite Pixar movie. I enjoyed watching it in the theaters and marveling at the outstanding animation work. But I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed that Pixar hasn't done any commentary tracks on their past few movies, this one included. And the behind the scenes stuff was really lacking I thought. I wanted to hear about all of the hard work they put into this, and how they had to upgrade all of their servers to speed up the rendering, etc. They had to have had some enormous technical challenges doing some of those shots, and I'd really like to hear their stories.

Is anyone else disappointed by the lack of commentaries from Pixar lately?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-28-2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm a little disappointed, but not too surprised. Although I felt The Incredibles was an awesome, fun movie it did not do anywhere near as well as expected on DVD. Millions of unsold discs were returned and both Disney and Pixar lost a bunch of money.

I guess we're having to pay for those losses by way of a more svelte version of Cars. Betcha Disney will come up with a real 2-disc SE of the movie later on for some old fashioned double dipping action.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the dark days before films were available in bus shelters, stormwater drains and pop-up toasters, Disney used to re-issue his films to theatres on a 7 year cycle. These re-runs made more money than many new releases.

Then Disney recycled them in bits on his television show, virtually an extended promotion for the re-issue.

Was this scheme more profitable than dvd sales? Once the sales of the dvd peter out, isn’t that feature dead forever?

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not when Disney releases them "for a limited time only" once every ten years.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-28-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVDs and such go into the "Disney Vault" where Walt Disney's head is stored (with evil Nazi powers).

Personally, I don't like running commentaries. I really don't care what the filmmakers have to say. I want to enjoy the movie for the movie itself, not because of an extra gigahertz they so disparately needed to get the movie out on time. In just about any commentary, you'll hear about how hard the movie was to complete and what crazy obstacles they had to overcome. I guess movie making is fraught with adversity in every single instance.

Also, Cars was enjoyable to watch once, but like A Bugs Life and Monsters, I don't think I could sit through it again. Pixar seems to be on a "every other movie is good" kick, which means Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles are actually good movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-28-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cars was a great movie but it would suck on TV. Maybe the reason "The Incredibles" did less than spectacular DVD business is because people are realizing that Pixar movies are best experienced on the big screen? I'm just sayin'.

I'm sure Bobby is right though...how many times has Toy Story been released to video now...half a dozen?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-29-2006 03:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
and how they had to upgrade all of their servers to speed up the rendering, etc
I heard that, in the section of the canyon shots outside Radiator Springs, that these shots couldn't be rendered in real time due to that there was so much information there that the systems would crash from overloaded memory allocations, thus this information had to be stepped up in speed then somehow the character info was added in later,to prevent their systems from crashing so these particular scenes could be completed.

..going to be fun and interesting on how "Ratatouille" will do for "the House of Mouse" and Pixar this summer...

= Monte

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 04:21 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am curious as to the running time , I have just picked up a Cars DVD it states the running time at 86 minutes , the 35mm feature we screened was 116 minutes , so what have they cut out ?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2006 05:00 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron, I had just started at my theatre when Disney re-realesed 'The Little Mermaid' as a counter to Fox's 'Annastasia'. If I recall correctly 'Anastasia was the first major animated release from a studio besides Disney.

We got 'Little Mermaid', the competition got 'Anastasia'. Needless to say, we kicked ass [Smile] . Its hard to believe that was only 10 years ago. How things have changed.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-30-2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Blake
I am curious as to the running time , I have just picked up a Cars DVD it states the running time at 86 minutes , the 35mm feature we screened was 116 minutes , so what have they cut out ?
Mine (Region 1) says it runs 116 minutes, and it does indeed run 116 minutes.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2007 08:43 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine region 4 (pal) 86 minutes , have yet toi run it to see what the difference is.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-01-2007 09:27 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it may be a typo Phil. The Ezydvd site has it at 120mins. I seriously doubt Pixar would edit it for anyone.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-02-2007 08:50 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I've noticed different on the French version of CARS is when the two Mini Vans are riding through the town and the old black car slaps a bumper sticker on the bumper of one of them. In my memory the sticker said 'Nice Butt' or something...in the French version, it says 'Radiator Springs'.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 04:48 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Nice Butte"

Edie McClurg.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: