Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Match Game

Author Topic: The Match Game
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-18-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, well this may prove I've gone over the edge. I just bought the 4-disk "Best of the Match Game" on DVD. I'm sure this is a test-marketing thing: If this is successful, can "The Best of The Hollywood Squares" be far behind?

It was one of those guilty pleasures as a kid. One of those things I can't explain, but I just loved the damn thing.

Admittedly though, it did feature some of the best: Gene Rayburn, Johnny Olsen, Richard Dawson, Betty White, and so on.

|  IP: Logged

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this on Friday, haven't had time to watch it yet though. I've gotten a ton of 70s TV shows the past couple weeks- Donny & Marie, Sonny & Cher, Tony Orlando & Dawn, The Electric Company, Merv Griffin and a real obscurity, the "New" Howdy Doody Show from 1976.

I got a couple Newlywed Game and Hollywood Squares shows from 1978 with commercials intact in a box of used Beta tapes I got from an Ebay seller. I transferred them to DVD, one of them had 'sticky-shed syndrome' and I had to transfer it with the top of the VCR off with my hand guiding the tape, and the heads got clogged a couple times so I had to stop the tape, clean the heads then edit it together on the computer. Came out pretty good though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
OK, well this may prove I've gone over the edge. I just bought the 4-disk
You've very definatewly gone over the edge! Tell me that on the next service visit I won't find a new video projector in the other port window beaming this nonsense onto your screen.... [Roll Eyes] .

Both you guys need to get help!!!!!

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-26-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No no no....it's strictly "lunch hour when there's nothing else on TV" material.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-26-2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they actually CHARGE for this? Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2007 11:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's a deluxe package with a $39 list price. Amazing, I know. Actually a very nice package - embossed sleeve, four-panel fold-out box, plus a booklet.

It's a bit irritating to watch because Match Game had a returning winner from day to day, so just when you're rooting for somebody, "we're all out of time, folks!" and you never know how the game in progress came out.

It's kind of fun looking at the clothes and hair-styles people were wearing. Some are flat-out hilarious. One episode has future fat actress Kirstie Alley as a contestant.

It's really pretty amazing what they were able to get away with on daytime TV in the 1970s. There are some fascinating and hilarious bits. And, each disk has regular panelist Brett Somers talking about the highlights of that disk. She's got some pretty funny stories to tell.

This set is probably going to be a strictly one-time watch for me, but I have to admit I'm enjoying it. It still beats 99% of what's on current TV during the daytime.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 10:55 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know Mark, after having just watched (halfway, then falling asleep) the remake of Fun with Dick and Jane, old Match Game episodes (which I've seen lots of on GSN) are like a godsend compared to crap that's made these days.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 09:58 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be having a "false memory", but didn't some of the paneled comedians smoke on screen? I remember Charles Nelson Riley (to our right of Britt Sommers) smoking a pipe... [uhoh]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2007 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall CNR smoking a cigarette like the Penguin, with one of those stick holders... or maybe that was Brett Summers.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-05-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
didn't some of the paneled comedians smoke on screen?
Oh yes, smoking cigars, cigarettes, pipes, AND drinking (from paper cups) onscreen. Rayburn makes occasional comments about "what's in those cups." [beer] [thumbsup] I do think some of those celebrities were "paneled" indeed.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2007 03:45 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may order the Match Game dvd's if they are still available in Feburary. (Season 3 of Emergency is due to be released then, too.) [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: