Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Video to DVD sound sync issue

Author Topic: Video to DVD sound sync issue
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2006 08:21 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been capturing some old home video on the PC using Pinnacle 9 storing the video as an AVI file and then later sorting and burning the files using Nero (nerovision express) . The finished product worked well cept the sound is not in sync ?

can anyone offer any ideas on this please.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-07-2006 02:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it's your bitrate is too high on your video capture to the computer that is causing the lipsync to be offset. Try lowering the bitrate, then burn this on a DVD-RW disc to "guinea pig" this option.

Usually VHS copying doesn't require such a high capture bitrate being of the lower resolution that the VHS recording are being captured and broadcast at.

good luck - Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2006 02:43 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer capturing at higher bitrates, as you can easily down sample if too high to match your specific needs. As far as being out of synch, I encode using TMPGEnc, which has editing options that allow for offsetting the audio or video tracks. Say the audio is 1/2 a second behind, I can tell it to advance the audio by 1/2 a second, to match. All it really does is chop the leading 1/2 sec off, and add 1/2 sec of silence at the end, effectively advancing the sound by 1/2 sec. It also have Mux/Demux features, which is where you can do the resynching I beleive. It's funny to take the music video of one song, and replace the audio with that of a different song. [Big Grin]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that the easiest way to get from VHS to DVD is using a DVD recorder. It works in real time and the results are generally excellent.

You can then transfer the resulting DVD back to your computer for further editing if required.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-07-2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a bit rate problem, the sound will probably drift out of sync worse and worse as the video goes on. I had that problem. Eventually I gave up on Pinnacle and bought a Mac with Final Cut Studio HD. No problems there. [Smile]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2006 06:46 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote Micheal Barry
quote: Michael Barry
I have found that the easiest way to get from VHS to DVD is using a DVD recorder.
Up to now I have not had any dealings with DVD recorders so i am a little in the dark with the way they work.

Do they actually compile all recorded data into actual dvd format .vob files or do they just store files as mpegs on their hard drive until a disc is burnt ?

This does sound like a better way to shift vhs to dvd , it would eliminate the thousands of hours spent rendering.

Phil

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2006 12:39 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think VHS to DVD recorders have a hard drive do they? I don't have a lot of info on them either, but I think the only DVD recorders that have hard drives are the TIVO style one that can record TV then burn it on to the DVD. the other units go VHS to DVD directly I beleive.

As far as the sync problems, you will always get that if you try to burn an AVI, Nero's encoder is bad. You have convert into a MPEG using a quality decoder/encoder. The sync problem most likely doesn't remain consistant throughout the movie. My guess is, the longer the movie goes, the longer delay you probably get. There are a lot of AVI -> MPEG converters out there, unfortunately, most of the "freeware" sucks.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 06:29 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank the only ones I have seen on the market here are DVD recorders with tuners installed as you said they record onto hard drive and or DVD disk . I am not sure if they are capable of having an external video input.

However iut is interesting what you say about AVI files and Nero , I might try saving files as MPEGs and see what difference it makes.

Phil

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Craft encoder is probably one of the best, and faster encoders on the market, but it is quite pricey. The very basic version is around $50, while the professional version goes for $2000.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had problems with nero aswell, although there are much much worse out there. Do you try to edit the footage after you have transfered it?
It is very easy to edit out whats called a key frame. If one is removed (and its imposible to tell which ones are) the sound goes out of sync until it finds another, perhaps ten minutes later perhaps never. I now use womble Mpeg video wizzard for editing mpeg and have not had the problem again.

I also no longer convert Mini Dv to mpeg through Nero, I use either Adobe premier's mpeg conversion or Canopus Pro Coder for stunning results.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to try saving as MPEG and burning with nero but I have discovered that DVD recorders will effectively duplicate VHS and Laser Disc to DVD provided there is no copyright protection on them. Since I am only trying to duplicate Home Video this should not be an issue , so I might go down this path.

The only down side to it is the fact I won't be able to digitally re-master shots of my wife.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 04:39 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Blake
The only down side to it is the fact I won't be able to digitally re-master shots of my wife.
Trying to edit her out of the picture? Shame on you. While you're at it, make sure you digitally remaster all of the guns into walkie talkies. Really, if you didn't feel your wife was suitble for viewing by the public, you should've cast someone else. [Razz] [Cool]

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this problem since starting to use Pinnacle Studio 10 several months ago. Going to the Pinnacle user's forums gave numerous solutions, none terribly practical unless one is a computer expert.
Solution #1 was to capture in AVI files no longer than 1/2 hour each. For something longer, I then edited them together as a project. If one was out of sync, that section could be re-captured without having to go thru the entire movie.
Solution #2 is to upgrade to Studio 10.7. This has only been available for a couple of weeks, and I've used it about 3 times, but the sync has been right on the nose every time. Maybe Pinnacle has solved the problem.

RPM

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good possablility, but you'd also think that they'd provide a fix for the old one as a patch. Maybe you're just not holding your toungue right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: