Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » LED based DLP HDTV - Look no bulb

Author Topic: LED based DLP HDTV - Look no bulb
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2006 10:04 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LED DLP HDTV

LED array lasts for 60,000 hrs!
No rainbow effects.

What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-31-2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Screw DLP. They are old-hat last-century technology that was obsolete before it was invented. Everyone on the planet hates it without exception. Why? Because Laser TVs kick their ass, that's why! Even my dead grandma thinks DLP is too old-fashioned. Nevermind the fact that lasers will be used in DLP TVs. Just let me live in my little world.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-31-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew it. All I had to do was buy that Mitsubishi 1080P DLP for it to become obsolete technology within a month!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2006 03:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DIY people are building those as LED projectors for just 60 bucks.

It doesn't matter what goes obsolete because all people will become obsolete at some point in time anyway. Therefore we should be embracing obsolete technology openly and freely so we can take it with us [Big Grin] .

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-01-2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LEDs do have long-term illumination stability issues...as witnessed by any reverse scan reader or more dramatically in Dolby Digital readers.

In a TV image the potential is much worse as the intensity differences will be more noticed as time progresses. LEDs that don't work in conjunction with others don't show their intensity difference since there is no comparative effect.

Personally, I think the laser technology shows the most promise for long-term high resolution imaging.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-01-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only noticeably bad thing about the laser technology is it seems to be limited to front or rear projection setups. It sounds like it won't be an option for flat panel televisions.

I'm a little weary of the LED-illuminated TV concept as well. Lots of companies make LEDs and the quality varies widely from very good to garbage. That makes me wonder what supplier Sony used for some of their SDDS readers. GE tends to make the best quality LEDs. But you have to pay more for them.

In my day job we're selling more and more full color LED electronic message centers. You have to constantly ride the suppliers about quality and life-span of LEDs and logic boards. Otherwise you'll have an expensive crane truck and crew making frequent visits to the sign.

These new TVs must be using "white" high intensity LEDs, possibly the new oval variety. A standard red, green or blue high intensity LED will normally have a 120,000 hour life span. A white LED is essentially a blue LED that has been over-driven, and has only half the rated life span. 60,000 hours isn't too bad though. That's nearly 7 years straight without cutting off the power at all.

Still, that inconsistent brightness thing with LEDs is a problem. However, LCD displays and plasma displays have their own share of nagging problems too.

Do the new LED lighted DLP televisions have 3 DLP chips or do they use a single chip with the spinning color wheel (and rainbow effect to go with it)?

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2006 10:08 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Do the new LED lighted DLP televisions have 3 DLP chips or do they use a single chip with the spinning color wheel (and rainbow effect to go with it)?
Neither, they rapidly flash the LEDs on and off against one DLP chip.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would bet that the LED arrays will be alot less expensive to replace than some of the lamps that are used in those DLP rear screens.... The nice thing about this is that it eliminates all high current/high power supplies from the TV making it alot safer for Joe Blow to work on it himself.

Rapidly flashing them on and off is also a thing that will extend their life span and also clean up the artifacts created by the color wheel... The duty cycle of the LED's is not 100%....

All in all this route makes the most sense and as LED technology progresses thay will only become longer lived.

Mark

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-02-2006 11:37 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the press release from the company that seems to be behind this whole idea. If what they're saying is correct, this brings DLP's bulb lifespan up to par with LCD's and solves some color issues (black, specifically).

quote: Luminus Devices
Luminus Devices Introduces New PhlatLight(TM) PT120 Chipset
Powerful New LED Light Source Specifically Optimized for Texas Instruments' 1080p DLP(R) Technology

WOBURN, MA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- October 23, 2006 -- Luminus Devices, Inc. today announced that its PhlatLight™ PT120 chipset is being sampled to its microdisplay projection television customers. The red, green and blue LEDs in the PT120 chipset combine to produce more than 1,500 white lumens under normal operating conditions, enough brightness to illuminate RPTVs up to 62 inches with a single RGB chipset.

While the PT120 chipset is suitable for any microdisplay smaller than 0.7 inches, it was specifically optimized for use with the Texas Instruments xHD5 1080p DLP® technology chipset. The size and shape of the PT120 allow users to maximize the amount of light that can be collected and projected onto the screen.

"Luminus is leading the way in advancing LED technology to new levels of performance. This new chipset is testament to their commitment of offering innovative lighting solutions for large screen microdisplay products," said Adam Kunzman, business manager for DLP HDTV products at Texas Instruments. "Through our joint collaboration, we look forward to providing our mutual customers with a competitive advantage in the rapidly growing big-screen HDTV market."

The PhlatLight PT120 is a three-color system that includes a red, green and blue LED. Each LED is a single, large area monolithic chip that can sustain extremely high power and fast pulsing.

"Because PhlatLight LEDs are a solid state light source, the colors can be cycled at high rates," said Christian Hoepfner, vice president of products at Luminus Devices. "In a DLP HDTV system the red, green and blue PhlatLight LEDs can cycle at 2.9 KHz, which is 48 times faster than traditional television frame rates, providing superior motion quality."

Another benefit of PhlatLight technology is its longer lifetime. In addition to providing superior color and image quality, PhlatLight LEDs have significantly longer lifetimes than arc lamps. With a lifetime that exceeds 60,000 hours, PhlatLight chipsets will never have to be replaced.

The PhlatLight PT120 chipset is currently being designed into a number of DLP HDTVs that use the xHD5 DLP chip, with screen sizes as large as 62 inches. Several models from various manufacturers will be commercially available in 2007.

About Luminus Devices

Luminus Devices, Inc., headquartered in Woburn, Massachusetts, develops and manufactures high performance solid state light emitting devices and systems. Its PhlatLight (Photonic Lattice) technology, developed by Luminus Devices based on research done at MIT, is the most powerful solid state light source available to illuminate large screen projection televisions. With PhlatLight chipsets in commercial production, Luminus is leading the industry in designing this new, powerful light source for a variety of applications, including microdisplay projection TVs and other advanced, high-definition displays. Several leading television and consumer electronics vendors are currently selling TVs with PhlatLight products. For more information, visit www.luminus.com.

About Texas Instruments DLP Products

DLP display technology from Texas Instruments offers clarity down to the most minute detail, delivering pictures rich with color, contrast and brightness to large-screen HDTVs and projectors for business, home, professional venue and digital cinema (DLP Cinema®). 75 of the world's top projection and display manufacturers design, manufacture and market products based on DLP technology. At the heart of every DLP chip is an array of up to 2.2 million microscopic mirrors which switch incredibly fast to create a high resolution, highly reliable, full color image. DLP technology's chip architecture and inherent speed advantage provides razor-sharp images and excellent reproduction of fast motion video. Since early 1996, more than 10 million DLP subsystems have been shipped. For more information, please visit www.dlp.com. Texas Instruments is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TXN. More information is located on the World Wide Web at www.ti.com.

Note to editors: PhlatLight is a trademark of Luminus Devices. DLP and DLP Cinema are registered trademarks of Texas Instruments.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-02-2006 10:14 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TV hangin on a wall....blah! Put a lens in front of this thing and let me PROJECT it on a MOVIE SCREEN. I want it to LOOK like a movie screen in my living room and NOT like a TV set. But I guess if what they are saying is to be believed, I should just skip over my imaginary LED/DLP projector and wait for some one to sell me that laser/DLP projector I am imagining will be mine, eh?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: