Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » creating your own dvd for home theatre

Author Topic: creating your own dvd for home theatre
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any tips on what software to use or process to do this? I've tried several times and each time the quality of the image is crap. For an example I've tried downloading trailers from apple.com to make a trailer disk for preshow but no matter what I do it comes out with such poor picture quality. I've used mydvd, quicktime pro, nero, windows movie maker, always the same, bad pic quality. Thanks for any advice.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there are some good programs and bad programs out there , some simple to use others very difficult.

I settled with Pinnacle studio 9 it is about middle of the road and gives good dvd results with simple to use features , just takes a while to render , but i think most do unless you have one that renders on the fly.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2006 09:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVD Studio Pro is the only option that should be considered. Your existence on this planet is not validated until you have used DVD Studio Pro at least 16 times.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-28-2006 10:42 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One possible issue is with using Quicktime movies in the first place. The trailers on Apple's website are heavily lossy data compressed using the H.264 codec.

Basically you're going to have problems with image quality regardless of what DVD authoring program is used. The source video is already lossy compressed. You're taking that and applying heavy amounts of lossy data compression to it again.

Any "consumer" style DVD authoring program typically applies a flat compression ratio to anything you're converting to MPEG-2. One usually must spend quite a lot of money on professional level compression applications to be able to interactively tweak bitrates for different parts of a video.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-2006 10:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, like DVD Studio Pro which comes with Final Cut Studio.

You'll be surprised how good those HD Apple trailers look when scaled way down to pathetic low-res DVD.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-28-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt if Dave is using HD-quality trailers as a source. I suspect he may be using 640 X 480 or lower streams, which would naturally look like ass when converted over to non-square pixel 720 X 480.

Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 12:35 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried using all the different resolutions that was offered up to 1080 and it didn't seem to make a difference. I will check out the software you mentioned Joe.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2006 01:33 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that program available for the vastly superior PC? or is that apple-ware only?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2006 04:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the PC is superior, then that program will obviously be available for it or maybe something 10 times better! You don't become superior by having crappier software to do what you want/need to do.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-08-2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As usual the macnazis reply with a non-answer.
DVD Studio Pro is Macintosh only. It's also $1300.00. It IS excellent and there may be nothing better available.
There are PC applications that will do what you want. Pinnacle and Roxio have them I think.
Quicktime is an abortion on a PC, the program qualifies as a virus for how screwed up your system is after installation but there is a hacked mini version that shows MOV videos - but skips the almost irreversible takeover of all video formats from WMP that is seemingly unavoidable with the full QT install. That of course leaves you with QT's puny (except for high res QT videos of course) and unresizable picture size for any video clip playback - lame.
There are ways to add a QT codec to WMP, I've generally failed when I've tried though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: