Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "Star Trek" 40th Anniversary (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Star Trek" 40th Anniversary
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 07:04 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On September 8, 1966, NBC broadcast the first episode of "Star Trek." Today is the 40th anniversary of that broadcast.

Any Trekkies/Trekkers out there celebrating?

The shows were not broadcast in the same sequence as they were produced. Therefore, the "first episode" wasn't really the first episode. But I imagine the Trek fans already know that...and a whole lot of other crazy details not necessary to know! (I'm reminded of Shatner's "Get A Life" segment from "Saturday Night Live.")

Anyway, thought it worth mentioning that the thing was seen for the first time 40 years ago today.

Anyone old enough to remember seeing these shows on their original prime time broadcasts? Did you like the show at that time?

Favorite character? Favorite episode(s)? Favorite movie?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-08-2006 08:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a few of the episodes in their original airing. I was underwhelmed at the time. It wasn't until around the mid-to-late 70s when it went into heavy reruns in syndication that I really got into it. I've seen all the original episodes more times than I can count.

And the people that made those original episodes and preserved the elements over the years deserve a big Thank You, because ST:TOS looks better today than any of the subsequent iterations of Trek in my opinion. ST:TNG always looked like there was something smeared on the camera lens. Are the DVDs any better video quality?

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember as a kid growing up watching the Re-Runs of the Original Series in the 1970's. My favorite episode was "The Doomsday Machine" and my favorite character was Scotty. Movies, hmmmmmm, well, I would have to say my favorite one was Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 11:00 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to watch the re-runs in the 70's too - and I'd record them onto 8-track tapes to listen to over and over in my room. I collected the Topps trading cards of the series - unfortunately I have very few of the stickers - most of which ended up on my locker, peecee, etc. I was such a ST geek I was trying to memorize the "laws of the federation" from the ST Concordance. Later when I started collecting Super 8 I got The Man Trap - which became my favorite episode. Star Trek: The Motion Picture is still my favorite even with all it's faults - but hey - it has an overture!

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mathew Molloy
Later when I started collecting Super 8 I got The Man Trap - which became my favorite episode.
"The Man Trap," by the way, was the episode that NBC selected for the inaugural Sep. 8, 1966 broadcast. (I believe it was the fifth or sixth episode that was produced.)

I forgot to mention my faves in my initial post, so here goes.

Favorite character: Scotty

Favorite episode: too many to choose. Broken down by seasons, I'd say:

1st Season: "The City On The Edge Of Forever"
2nd Season: "A Piece Of The Action"
3rd Season: "The Tholian Web"

Favorite Movie: Toss-up between "II" and "IV"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 12:02 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a real Trekkie, but I enjoyed II and IV too, with IV edging out as my winner because I liked the comedy in it.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 09:52 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So everybody knows that the original series has been remastered with the old effects shots stripped out and new CGI effects added (a la Star Wars) and will begin airing soon, right?

Details

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 11:04 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen this fan-produced "episode" ? The acting may not be all that, but overall it looks very good. E for effort.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
ST:TNG always looked like there was something smeared on the camera lens. Are the DVDs any better video quality?
From what I understand, it was a cost saving measure. They filmed some SFX sequences with crappy video. If you notice, you can always see jaggy lines on the ships during space sequences and sometimes see a "luching" effect like they were using an underpowered computer or something to make the effect. Unfortunately, this transfers over to video as well. I wouldn't have minded owning TNG DVD's, but the poor quality and high price kept me from buying. Star Trek: TOS looks damn good on DVD, so I bought the DVD's. I dont think I'm a real fan of the 5.1 sound, but overall, TOS DVD's are well worth the cash

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are Trekkie fans reacting to the changes with CGI and all? I dont care for the show at all or the movies, but knowing how SW fans are with their movies, I'd imagine the Trekkies would be disappointed. But then again, these episodes are available on DVD already so I guess it can't be that bad.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will bet the Star Trek fans, like myself, won't be as rabid about the updates as the Star Wars fans were/are. Star Trek was about the stories and the effects came second. Star Wars ended up being about nothing but the effects. Personally, I am really looking foward to some sweet assed cgi NCC-1701 beauty shots. And remember, any non-berman/bragga infected Star Trek is good Star Trek. Even if it was shot with a PlaySkool camera and enjoyed on a ViewMaster.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-10-2006 05:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
So everybody knows that the original series has been remastered with the old effects shots stripped out and new CGI effects added (a la Star Wars) and will begin airing soon, right?
That is as sinful as colorizing "Plan 9 From Outer Space"...

How sad!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I was at a Star Trek convention and had a fairly long conversation with Dave Rossi, the guy who is in charge of these new effects. It sounds like his primary interest in this is to bring in kids who would normally be turned off by the primitive nature of the effects. He also made it clear that the originals would not go away. He said that if the studio had come to him and told him that they wanted to replace the originals, ala STAR WARS, he would have kicked them. He also said that the two dirtiest words in their office are George Lucas, and that they are not in any way changing the stories.

The fan reaction seemed to be mixed, but most people who were complaining were mainly saying that they didn't want to lose the originals. Rossi assured everyone that that wouldn't happen.

My personal take on this is that it's a bad idea. If the original creators wanted to change it, that's one thing. But this is being done by people who were kids when that show was being made. That being said, these guys know their shit, and if someone's going to do it, it might as well be them. And I am going to watch at least a couple episodes out of curiosity.

Favorite Character: Captain Kirk
Favorite Episode: The 10-part arc that ended DEEP SPACE NINE
Favorite Movie: VI

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get an Afterlife!

But, seriously, I've read that they can't very easily do an HD remaster on The Next Generation because all those shows, while shot on film, were post-produced in good, old, Standard Definition video. Oops! Remastering to HD would require an all-new transfer of the original elements and a complete re-edit to create what was already done. All this first, and then they could consider re-doing the visual effects.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2006 04:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that on the first episode of Star Trek: TNG. I was only like 13 or 14 years old at the time, but the special effects had a much higher FPS than the show itself. When the Enterprise was generating a beam down to the planet or whatever the hell it was doing, the Enterprise was at 24fps and the beam was at 60fps. My reaction was "Ewwwww..." It looked like it should have been on PBS with those effects.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: