Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Effin copy protection on an ANALOG signal?

Author Topic: Effin copy protection on an ANALOG signal?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-28-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ocassionally I have some friends over and want to play a movie, theatre style. I want to put in a cartoon and then go right to the movie WITHOUT the damn FBI big, ugly logo with text that looks like it was set on a 1806 lineotype hand press with wooden letters, telling us how much time we will get in jail and all the menu crap as well. So I have a Sony VDR-VC20 stand-alone burner and I burn a second disk putting a cartoon, sometimes two before the main feature.

I don't make this digitally, i.e., using the optical output from the DVD player like I could because the Sony burner has an optical input. I just take the analog S-video and audio signals out of a regular DVD player and feed them into the Sony burner. I have done it before with a number of disks with no problem. Yesterday when I did it, what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a message in the LCD screen in the Sony burner that says: THIS DISK CANNOT BE COPIED. WTF? WTF!!? Is there some kind of copy protection on the analog video that tells the recorder not to make a copy? I never heard of this. Someone tell me quick because I have an ax hovering above this piece-o-shit Sony and there is nothing that would give me more pleasure than to bring is swinging down and watching little shards of computer chips go flying around the room.

Oh, and just FYI, there is no macrovision copy protection crap on this particular disk that I am aware of -- it plays fine thru my other equipment -- specifically a VCR that passes the video on to TVs in the other rooms. This ALWAYS goes haywire on macrovision. But everything plays fine with this disk EXCEPT that the Sony burner refuses to go into Record mode.

Last question -- what disks should I burn that will be compatible with regular DVD players? I got two answers from peeps who are supposed to know; one said +R, the other said -R. How's that for helpful.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2006 09:41 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last question first...usually DVD-R is the MOST compatible, but it all depends on how you burn your DVD's. If you use NERO to burn your discs, you'll pretty much get the same result as long as you burn them as DVD-VIDEO. If your using a stand alone burner, then I'd definately go for the DVD-R.

As far as the movie that cant be duplicated, all I can think of is if its a newer Sony Pictures title, they have some goofy protection scheme going now, and that could be your problem. If its not a Sony movie, then I guess I'm lost too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-28-2006 10:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Optical is only for sound.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2006 11:46 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as far as media compatibility, I think it depends on the player. I've found the database at videohelp.com to be useful for finding out which media to use when sending discs to family members, but you need to know the model player that its going to be used on.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 01:03 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed, Videohelp.com is very helpful. They have walk throughs on just about anything. Authoring, recording, copying, encoding, etc. (X)VCD, (X)SVCD, DVD, and all the associated media. There was another site, something like cdhelp.com or something similar, that actually tells you what brand media lasts longest, and which can be overburned, and compatability issues.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any digital 'no-copy' metadata that is present on the vertical interval of the original copy is going to travel with the S-Video signal to the burner. If you were going to dub the disc to an analog only device (like a VHS machine) that would not interpret the digital signals, then you’d be OK. At some point, though, a DVD burner is going to convert the analog signal back to digital, and when that happens, it do what the data tell it to do, which is to not allow your illegal-dubbing ass to make a copy [Big Grin] .

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My combo VHS/DVD recorder won't dub copy protected tapes or discs. As an experiment I tried dubbing from my DVD player to Betamax. That worked fine, but the copy protection flag is still there. I could not then dub from the Betamax to DVD-R/DVD-RAM or VHS.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys...it's in the vertical interval; ease enough to deal with. May they all get brain tumors from their cell phones.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to ask about a cross copy setup, thanks for covering that Jeffery. And I'll add to Frank's last post. "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits"

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 02:39 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do pirate copies have the FBI junk?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-30-2006 04:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Any digital 'no-copy' metadata that is present on the vertical interval of the original copy is going to travel with the S-Video signal to the burner.
So big deal, just run the signal through a digital time base corrector such as the popular Panasonic model WJ-AVE5. It'll also knock out Macrovision and nuke the close captioning to boot. It essentially entirely replaces the vertical interval bar so you can mix two video sources that are not genlocked together for dissolves and such on the fly...but will ALWAYS permit you to dupe a video signal with ANY kind of copy protection on it (although it is done analog). In essence, if you can watch it on your tv, this box will strip anything and everything copy protection-wise from the signal just by passing it through the box.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 07:21 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do that, Brad, but bear in mind the the vertical interval on a DVD has some goodies you may wish to hang onto. The 16:9 anamorphic trigger pulse, for instance. Strip that out with the V.I. and you're watching center cut full frame, widescreen display or not.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My current set ignores the 16:9 trigger, although my older Sony set recognized it and went into "Full" mode if the flag was there, which was a pain on the many discs that had anamorphic content before the movie, even though the movie itself wasn't.

Most widescreen TVs have multiple settings for how 480i/480p signals are displayed (16:9 stretched, zoomed, variable zoomed, black bars, etc.). I wouldn't think the absence of this flag would be a problem unless a set is missing those features.

About time base correctors and the removal of copy protection... Do the time base correctors take care of color-striping as well and insert a proper color-burst indicating the wrong phase of the color on the affected scan lines (or else correct the phase of the color across the entire line, which would work just as well?)

I've become more sensitive to time-base error in video, since with DVD, I'm so used to not seeing it. Are there any good time-base correctors that are affordable for rectifying it from video tapes? ... and not only scan-line to scan-line jitter, but field-to-field jitter as well? I've got some material on SVHS tapes that would convert to DVD better if time-base-corrected on the way into the DVD recorder.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2006 05:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The absence of the flag is a BIG problem because most people are complete morons who stretch everything to fit the 16:9 screen and wouldn't recognize the difference between 4:3 standard and anamorphic video if it bit them in the ass. People like this do not qualify as real human beings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: