Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan as a midnight show at the Landmark Theatres La Jolla Village 4. It was the last in the Midnight Movie Madness series. Anyway, I had a nice chat with the GM of the theatre and he informed me that it was one of the original 1982 release prints. He made mention of it's condition prior to the film being shown. For a print being 24yrs old, it did show it's age, especially going from theatre to theatre during the past 24 years. I asked him what kind of film stock it was and he told me it was Acetate. Anyway, the film did have it's scratches, sound drop outs, etc. But, it was great to see it on the big screen. Any thoughts on what you think of this movie?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2006 09:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek II is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. How can you lose with William Shatner and Ricardo Montalban both hamming it up??!! I was fortunate to see ST-II in 70mm at the Edwards Newport, only it was in the smaller house (must have been something bigger playing in the big one). ST-II was the first film to play in 70mm in the #2 house.

What kind of business did the midnite show do?

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I am happy to say that it was a Sold Out show. It was great. Everyone, including myself, had a ball throughout the entire movie, especially when Kirk yelled "Khan" when he was on the planet. We all repeated that name simutaneously. [Big Grin] [beer]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a fun show. Hell, I've seen the movie a couple dozen times, but I'd pay money to see it again in a theater with an appreciative audience. Even with a beat-to-hell print. [beer]

This reminds me, a long time ago I went to a Star Trek marathon at some single-screen theater in Newport Beach. Might have been the Balboa (definitely wasn't the Lido). The "marathon" was the 3 Trek movies that had been made up to that time. Anyway after they showed ST-I, the projectionist mistakenly threaded up ST-III instead of II. Since not everyone was staying for all 3 movies, they had to stop it and thread up II.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 10:19 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
I was fortunate to see ST-II in 70mm at the Edwards Newport, only it was in the smaller house (must have been something bigger playing in the big one).
"Annie"

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2006 10:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Annie" - I think you're right. Hell, I'm sure you're right. [Wink]

Here's a story on that one too: Edwards tried reserved seating with "Annie" at the Big Newport. I guess they wanted to elevate an "event" film to the same level as concerts. It didn't work, and as far as I know they never tried that on any other film.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-15-2006 11:01 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad M Calpito
I had a nice chat with the GM of the theatre and he informed me that it was one of the original 1982 release prints. He made mention of it's condition prior to the film being shown. For a print being 24yrs old, it did show it's age, especially going from theatre to theatre during the past 24 years. I asked him what kind of film stock it was and he told me it was Acetate. Anyway, the film did have it's scratches, sound drop outs, etc. But, it was great to see it on the big screen. Any thoughts on what you think of this movie?
If the print had negligible fading, it probably was EASTMAN Color Print Film 5384, which had greatly improved image stability. If the print was faded, it likely was on the older 5381 or 5383 stock. I'm surprised it would have "sound drop outs" with analog sound.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little surprised about a few sound drop outs, but, it was, overall, a good print. There were some faded spots. It sure did go through a whole lot of use. Thanks for more information about the film stock number(s), John. [Big Grin]

Anyway, it was great to see the movie along with other 400 people who attended. This was the first time I saw this movie on the big screen.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even with home theatres, I wish more theatres would bring back the cool films like this this.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-24-2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate what they did to the movie for the Special Edition DVD. They used alternate takes that weren't as good and extended a few scenes that really kind of ruined the flow.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2006 02:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, our theatre, in 1982 played "ST:Khan" for the first two weeks (which kicked royal Klingon butt..a hell of a movie - tons better than the first), then we shipped that print to our sister triplex in town to open up the ghastly and horrible "Annie"..which we had to suffer with for 6 long weeks.. - let alone with me having to suffer with changeovers and hearing that dreadful soundtrack.

Anyone who would sing that song "Tomorrow" from the film was destined for execution.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 08:17 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek II rocks!... I remember seeing it last on the big screen during a Star Trek marathon at the Mayfair theatre in Ottawa. It was the mid-nighties and they played Star Trek 1 to 6 in one day for $10.00 I passed on Star Trek I and # 5 but watched the rest. A great day at the movies and the place was filled (460 seats)

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It remains the best STAR TREK movie ever made.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-25-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the best parody of it???

"Kiiirrrrrrkkkkkk! There's no sneeeeeze guard on the SALAD barrrrrr!" Damned I love SNL. Then and NOW.

But I agree with Manny. ST:II is great. And ST:III is pretty damn good too up until right after the Enterprise blows up.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 10:49 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Gordon
mid-nighties
I see where your thoughts are. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: