Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » King of New York (1990), DVD

Author Topic: King of New York (1990), DVD
John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2006 09:32 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do so many people detest this film?

I first entered the world of Abel Ferrara when I loaned out a copy of "Bad Lieutenant" (1992) and that was one heck of an experience.

King of New York may not as full on but it's certainly bold and inventive. It also had people turning on the heels for the exit.

Christopher Walken stars as "Frank White", a Drug Lord who is released from prison and now that his back he wants to get straight back into business. So before you can say "Welcome Back", the head of Frank's goons "Jimmy Jump" (Laurence Fishburne) takes out the Colombian's which pisses of the Italians, but now there's a new game plan on the streets.
Unless your in business with Frank White, you ain't in business at all.
But Frank isn't all that greedy, he is now reformed and playing
the Robin Hood of New York. But there is one problem (as usual), the cops and they're pissed and are betting hard on putting the ice cold killer Frank out of business.

I like this for it's style and rock steel portrayal of Frank White by Christopher Walken. Ferrara's simple but strong visuals (with the help of DP Bojan Bazelli) are trully engrossing. There is no social values or moral lessons per'se but who needs that in every single film. The portrayal of the cops is refreshing and different compared to the typical annoying 'go through the motions' characters.

I first viewed King of New York on a region 1 special edition copy but have since bought the local r4 release which has excelent picture (full frame 16:9) but the sound quality is less than desirable sadly.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2006 05:18 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie for the first time about two months ago. I liked it. I especially like the way everyone gets what they deserve in the end!!! David Caruso - he gets it good.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: