Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 480 vs. 486 lines? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 480 vs. 486 lines?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-02-2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, NTSC video has 486 usable horizontal lines (the remainder of the 525 are used for the VBI).

So, why is it that DVDs can only reproduce 480 lines? Not that it matters much (since the extra lines would be lost due to the overscan in a typical set), but why wasn't the format designed to display the entire usable NTSC picture?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2006 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though a DVD can actually produce about 500tvl (and NTSC, in theory, 486 visible lines), 480 was the standard accepted by the MPEG DVD group as the generally safe display area for consumer sets, given variations in scanning and voltage regulation between manufacturers. It’s basically just what everyone agreed to be MPEG-2 video standards, based on what most sets are capable of displaying. DVD, being an MPEG-2 device, follows suit.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-02-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just DVD, but DV, videogame systems, and other crap like that as well. 486 lines is like high definition compared to 480, and if they gave us all 486 lines, nobody would buy the fancy-schmancy new HDTVs. It all has to do with $$$$$$.

NTSC DVD maxes out at 702x480, I believe. Maybe 720x480. But it's ALWAYS 480. Only CRTs have any kind of image overscan.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-02-2006 08:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vertical blanking interval for NTSC provides for certain other uses of the last few "blank" lines before the top of the picture area. If display devices displayed all 486 lines, these other signals would show up at the top of the image area. That's one of the reasons the 480 number was adopted.

Typical uses of vertical blanking lines 10 - 21 in each field (lines 1 - 9 are reserved for vertical sync and equalization pulses):

12 - 14: SMPTE VITC (Vertical Interval Time Code)
17 - 18: VITS (Vertical Interval Test Signal)
19: VIRS (Vertical Interval Reference Signal)
20: Network source code
21: Closed captioning and V-chip code

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-02-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Only CRTs have any kind of image overscan
Rear-projection sets always have some overscan, regardless of the display technology. I've read reviews of direct-view flat-panel displays that mentioned minor overscan.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, where is the 16:9 flag located? People/DVD authors/whoever does not use this flag correctly/at all piss me off!

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NTSC DVD maxes out at 702x480, I believe. Maybe 720x480. But it's ALWAYS 480
. . . but that's only a function of the encoding scheme. The DVD format, of and by itself, is perfectly capable of handling 500 lines. However, in MPEG-2 encoding, only the active lines are compressed and coded, in an effort to save disc space by not bothering with usless information. Hence the 480 spec.

Also, if Paul dosn't chime in: the anamorphic flag begins as a 16 bit metadata signal on the disc, and arrives on lines 20 and 283 of the NTSC vertical blanking signal on the luminance channel only. You'll notice that if you feed component signals from your DVD player to your monitor, and you remove the green "Y" cable, the scan collapses to 4:3.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-03-2006 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can get auto-16:9 even on a composite signal. Or maybe it was S-video. I recorded a 16:9 videogame on a videotape once and when I played the tape back it popped into 16:9 on its own.

If I unplug the green "Y" cable, the screen collapses entirely, not just to 4:3. That's because the other two cables only carry color difference info.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-03-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of component video, I should also ask this: why are the inputs and outputs on some decks (Beta SP, usually) labelled as "Y, B-Y, R-Y" and others labelled as "Y, Pb, Pr"? These seem to just be different names for the same thing. Why?

Paul Mayer

- posted 05-04-2006 01:48 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark answered the DVD anamorphic flag question.

As to component video nomenclature, "Y R-Y B-Y" and "Y Pb Pr" are practically the same thing, analog component video. The only technical difference I can think of is the two color-difference signals in "Y Pb Pr" are scaled to prevent values that are "out of gamut" for the color space, hence they are always "legal" for output to other devices. Many people use these two designations interchangeably.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2006 02:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't ask specifically about DVD anamorphic flags. It is interesting that people seem to thing that the only source of 480p and/or widescreen video is DVD. Get out of the house! I can indeed get auto-widescreen on composite (and probaby RF) on properly flagged video, DVD or not (though DVD players tend to be built like ass and some of them only transmit the flag out of the component jacks).

The component jack on the back of my TV reads "Y, Pb, R-y"

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2006 02:27 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Also, if Paul dosn't chime in: the anamorphic flag begins as a 16 bit metadata signal on the disc, and arrives on lines 20 and 283 of the NTSC vertical blanking signal on the luminance channel only.

Why on two lines? You'd never have a situation where the two fields were in different aspect ratios, so I can't see the need to repeat it.

I assume that on PAL different lines must be used; any idea which ones?

I can get auto-16:9 even on a composite signal. Or maybe it was S-video. I recorded a 16:9 videogame on a videotape once and when I played the tape back it popped into 16:9 on its own.

But the luminance channel ends up in the composite signal, so I would expect the anamorphic flag to still be there.

If I unplug the green "Y" cable, the screen collapses entirely, not just to 4:3. That's because the other two cables only carry color difference info.

Sounds like you're using a three cable system, with composite sync on the luminance signal, and a monitor that blanks the screen if it doesn't see a sync.

Over here, most domestic video equipment doesn't have component connections, though there is more than there used to be. It's usually either composite, or RGB (via SCART).

Paul Mayer

- posted 05-04-2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK OK, I typed "DVD" when I should have typed "MPEG." Sheesh! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-04-2006 04:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot damn! I didn't know my Xbox encoded videogames to MPEG before output. Same with my MiniDV camera. President Bush must be notified about this immediately! [beer]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Why on two lines? You'd never have a situation where the two fields were in different aspect ratios, so I can't see the need to repeat it.

It has to do with how your TV set/display device knows to display an anamorphic signal. Basically, the way the standard was laid out, the display’s decoder needs to see a two-bit digital “start code” signal (the first part of the“flag”). The flag on line 20 is the first bit, the flag on line 283 is the second bit. Further, it needs to see both bits for four consecutive fields before it switches to wide-screen mode. This delay is why on some poorly authored DVDs, you’ll sometimes see the menus flash in 4:3 before they kick into 16:9 (smart DVD authors leave a few frames of black or fade-up-from-black before the active video to mask this). After the start code, the flag has four other bits that determine whether the video is full frame 16:9, or letterboxed, and where the image is centered.

I’m sorry, I don’t know off the top of my head where all this happens in PAL/SECAM, but I would guess that it is at a roughly equivalent place late in the vertical interval.

I didn't ask specifically about DVD anamorphic flags. It is interesting that people seem to thing that the only source of 480p and/or widescreen video is DVD.
I don't "thing" anything of the sort. This thread started with a question about DVD video, and your question included DVD authors. My answer took DVD as an example of the whole system. So video games can be anamorphic too? Huh. Wouldn't know, don't play 'em.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: