Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Movies for Mike (80s Movies You Should Have Seen) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Movies for Mike (80s Movies You Should Have Seen)
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-21-2006 12:56 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just informed that our very own Olpin8er hasn't ever seen Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Weird Science, or Real Genius.

I am truly heartbroken.

Lucky for him, he's seen The Breakfast Club and Better Off Dead!

Please help this poor child by suggesting your favorite 1980s movies for him to watch (sadly, on video). For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, you might just save his life.

... Or mine. Yes, Mike, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the one with the boulder. [uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-21-2006 01:00 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've never seen breakfast club either.

But Better Off Dead is possitively one on my favorate movies ever.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-21-2006 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
80s movies don't get much better than License To Drive. With the dueling Coreys, how could you possibly go wrong?

If that doesn't float his boat, surely a more mainstream 80s movie such as Planes, Trains & Automobiles would do it. (Of course Adam hates the movie because he is weird. [Razz] )

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 02:04 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the REAL 80s ended in June 1986, when the CED videodisc format was shut down for good. The Coreys appeared separately on a few CED titles but the format was dead before they appeared onscreen together.

One essential 80s movie that is available on CED videodisc, is The Last American Virgin. It's especially recommended for people who love movies with happy endings.

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 03:11 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen "Cinema Paradiso" yet?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 07:42 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, nothing sez the 80's like the film that ushered in the 1980's, Xanadu...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2006 09:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as coming of age 80's go, I'll put in a vote for Risky Business.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 09:07 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget any of the early Patrick Dempsey catalog such as Loverboy or You can't buy me Love ...

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dirty Rotten SCoundrels or the Burbs are always good for laughs

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 03-21-2006 10:52 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it weren't so obvious, I'd include Ferris Bueller's Day Off as among the requisite 80's film canon contenders ... but then, mentioning it is just as fair game, considering that the original suggestions were necessary in the first place!

Another one I'm not quite as comfortable admitting to is Adventures In Babysitting ... in no way truly essential, but full of 80's goodness, nonetheless. [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-22-2006 12:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How did I forget The Goonies??? [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2006 01:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or any of the John Hughes pictures - outside of "Ferris Bueller"

..or the three "Back to the Future" fliks.

...ROBOCOP series.. we can't forget these.

Then, the Swarzenegger campy action fliks - Predator, Running Man, et.al..

"That Night in Rio", "Lady in Red","Mr. Mom","Young Sherlock Holmes","Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome","Project X", "LADYHAWKE"

..and the two "Cocoon" movies..

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit". The "Porky" movies.

..and if we can get Mike to be in the liberal arts of the cinema, there was the great - "AMADEUS", "Out of Afica" and "The Last Emperor" ...

..but, he'll probably fit into Spicoli's "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." - the one that made Sean Penn a household name with Mr. Hand.

..then the campy beach movies..."Hard Bodies" and others..

The first "BATMAN" movie - the one where Jack Nicholson stole this one away from Michael Keaton...

..the invention of the CD.

The decade that Disney started to pull its head out the sand and being a big (now,too big of a) company with "Oliver and Company" and "the Little Princess"

the decade of Eddie Murphy being Axel Foley and "Beverly Hills Cop" with Glen Frey singing "the Beat Goes On" .. with the "Annoying Thing" doing the techo version of "Axel's Theme"

..and the list goes on...the 80's was a good decade. The conception of the mall cinema with shoebox auditoriums.

..no friggen rap crap thumping music.

Hairbands coming out with their rock ballads. V8's were still the engines to have instead of these little "rice burning street racers." and drivers who want to be from 'south of the Rio Grande
'

- Monte

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2006 01:27 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my picks have been accounted for, but I'll suggest:

The Cannonball Run
Blue Thunder
Bachelor Party (with its multiplex joke that is now a reality)
Ghostbusters
Revenge Of The Nerds
Ladyhawke (I know, a period piece, but it had that rock score that screamed '80s!)
Pee-wee's Big Adventure
Top Gun
Lethal Weapon
The Lost Boys
Die Hard

quote: Monte L Fullmer
"Beverly Hills Cop" with Glen Frey singing "the Beat Goes On"
I think that song is "The Heat Is On."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoops..yes 'the HEAT is on.' Got the '60's mixed in there..

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2006 06:43 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spinal Tap
St. Elmos Fire
Caddyshack
Croc Dundee
Cocktail
Full Metal Jacket
Poltergiest
ET
Anything with Traci Lords(New Wave Hookers) or Ginger Lynn(Kinky Business)
Friday the 13th
Beetlejuice
Footloose
Bill and Ted
Flashdance
Airplane, and sequels
The Karate Kid

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: