Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Most DVDs for one film?

Author Topic: Most DVDs for one film?
John Plasket
Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for John Plasket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Fox put out the DVD of Fight Club. It was the first two-disc studio release I knew of aside from the movies that were two discs long. I mean, they had one whole disc of extras! And I was completely amazed by Criterion's three-disc Brazil (a third disc with the dreaded studio cut!).

Now I am starting to see that two-disc releases are the standard (mainly for big studio films), and some films with a considerable amount of history, from The Wizard of Oz to Clerks, are getting three. With Warner putting out four-disc sets of Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur, I started wondering: what is the most number of DVDs devoted to one film?

The most I've seen so far is five, for Criterion's box of Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander. The full-length television version is on the first two discs, the next is the theatrical cut, the fourth is the making-of documentary, and the last is full of TV introductions and trailers for other Bergman films.

There has to be something that beats that.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[I assume that you mean that it be a single DVD package release ... T2 has so many different DVD versions available, there are a LOT of discs dedicated to that title; and that it be a theatrical feature, not a mini-series?]

I believe the 1968 War and Peace (Voyna i mir) is also a 5 disc package.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-03-2006 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does make you wonder how they are going to keep selling the same titles over and over after all these deluxe releases peter out. (I know I know, blu-ray or HD or whatever.)

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
T2 is a great example of how they can sell the same movie again and again. The second release was fantastic. The thought of topping it was ridiculous. But they did just that with the third release, which featured a beautiful new transfer and a commentary by James Cameron. If the studios improve the picture and sound quality, I would glady repurchase a movie, and have on many occasions.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 01:35 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the American Pie flicks seem to have had 3 or 4 regurgitations.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the company Anchor Bay gets my vote for the "Double-Dipping Assholes" award. Just consider the number of titles they've released on DVD (particularly those of the horror genre) that have had two, three, even four versions. "Halloween" comes to mind.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, does that mean you're not going to pick up their "Five-Year Mission Extended Edition" of FREE ENTERPRISE on Tuesday? [Smile]

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a special edition of "Titanic" the other week,it was 2 disc's. Half of the special features on 1 disc and the rest on the other and what pissed me of was i got half way through the movie and i had 2 flip the disc over 2 watch the end what gives.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds similar to the American release, which is 3 single-sided discs. The movie is spread out over discs 1 and 2 because it's so long, and has a DTS ES discrete 6.1 channel soundtrack, which takes up a lot of space. Personally, I think that this is more than a fair trade considering that the audio and video quality are probably the best I've ever seen on a DVD.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2006 08:37 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Mike, does that mean you're not going to pick up their "Five-Year Mission Extended Edition" of FREE ENTERPRISE on Tuesday?
Ah, but I don't believe Anchor Bay was the company that issued the initial DVD. So they're off the hook on this one!

And since you brought it up... what's up with the "Five-Year Mission" thing? This flick came out more than five years ago (1999 was it?). Or are they just trying to ride the current "Insert Clever Phrase Edition" wave?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-06-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the Titanic 3 disc DVD release, the DTS-ES track is not why the movie is split across 2 discs. The improved video transfer (anamorphic enhanced finally) is what did it. Once it was clear the movie would need to span 2 discs, there was more than enough bit budget available to include the DTS-ES 6.1 track.

I think it's kind of wierd how Paramount rather quietly started supporting the DTS format on some of its releases. I was surprised to see it on the new Top Gun DVD, another one that was long overdue for anamorphic enhancement. That also reminds me Mission: Impossible really needs a new anamorphic enhanced DVD release as well. I have long avoided the existing disc over this issue. I thought MI:1 was really pretty good. MI:2 sucked ass. Hopefully MI:3 will be better. But there is a possibility of an Oscar-jinx hitting Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the heavy in MI:3.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-16-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me guess... Titanic has an 'alternative ending'! [Razz]

Sorry; couldn't resist.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Leo, it does.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2006 10:39 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.. The boat doesn't sink.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: