Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Problem with Mitsubishi T.V.

Author Topic: Problem with Mitsubishi T.V.
Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just aquired a Mitsubishi VS-466R projection television for free. When you turn on the power there is no picture and no audio, just a slight humm coming from inside. WE've checked fuses and those all seem to be in good shape. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what this information means, but a google search turned up this page (it lists a model near the one you do with the same problem) :

Link

If you are comfortable working on the innards of a television, I'm sure you'll know what they are talking about when they say

"Replace Q502 and resolder T502.", which is the recommended solution for "Dead set (hear buzzin sound)" on the "VS467RS".

Of course, since I know nothing about this type of thing, it might be useless. Anyway, hope it helps.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2006 11:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Mits VS something or other 50 incher that is a first generation HD set. This set is now well over 6 years old and still looks as good as the day I got it. Of course I don't pile on zillions of hours of TV watching like Joe does playing video games. About 5 years ago this set blew its red deflection yoke.... literally went up in flames. This also took out some parts in the horizontal sweep, convergence IC, and some power supply components and small but expensive pico fuses. Getting mine running again was no small hassle. Luckily these sets have very good CRT protection so the phosphor doesn't become burnt if a scan circuit fails. For your froend to get his running again I would first have the CRT's tested and the faces inspected to be absolutely sure there are no phosphor burns. If the CRT's are still in good shape then the set may be worth repairing. Its not going to be cheap though. Parts alone to repair mine were over $500.00 and these folks will need the assistance of a repair shop. Finds one that is a Mitsubishi authorized warranty center as they will have far better documentation and parts access aside from the knowledge and previous Mits experienceto get it running again. Don't be surprised for them to be told that a new set may be less expensive than getting it repaired.

Mark

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-27-2006 11:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda off-topic... Big-screen TVs are one of the few consumer electronics items where it might make sense to buy the extended warranty. They can and do break down, and they cost a fortune to repair. When I bought my Sony at Circuit City, they were offering a 5-year warranty for $250 which seemed pretty reasonable, so I got it. Before the Sony, I had a Pioneer (not HDTV), and it blew a board after about 3 years. Cost me a bundle to get it repaired.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in my days at SEARS, I really pushed service agreements on the big-screens, and sold many new ones after the customer shelled out 3-400 bucks for a repair job.

When I had my own shop, I didnt work on projection sets at all. Took up waay too much room, and the customer rarely came back to get them after being told the grand total to fix em!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2006 03:20 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention the Sony rear-projection sets they sold back in 2002 and 2003 that had something go wrong with the CRTs (often the green one). I bought a service agreement when I bought the set, and it paid off. I ended up getting the set replaced with a different brand (Hitachi) in the same size and haven't had any problems since. I kept reading horror stories about the Sony sets being fixed and the problem coming back.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-27-2006 09:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 48-inch Sony SD rear screen set that's about six years old. Had to spend about $400 last year to have a pair of deflection circuit power ICs replaced, but the CRTs are still going strong.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2006 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

My Mitsubishi set has had that problem twice now... Its actually the convergence IC's that fail... STK-390-040 to be exact. Each power chip has three relatively high power amplifiers on them that run near full power at what ever the horizontal scanning circuit is running at...15,750 or 31,500 hz for HD, the other chip runs at vertical scanning frequency. My IC's are mounted on a huge heat sink that still gets almost too hot to touch after an hour so I'm adding a small fan to it next chance I get. Both Panasonic and Sony also use the same identical Sanyo Power I.C. in their sets as do many other manufacturers..... techs call that part the black plague of projection sets. The IC's can be gotten for as little as $12.00 each but are typically about $18.00 in parts stores. I had mine repaired the first time by a shop since I didn't have a service manual yet...they charged me about the same price as you paid just to replace $30.00 worth of parts! Its definitely a gravy job type of repair! A while back there as someone selling repair kits on E-Bay for many of the sets that use them.

Mark

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 11:38 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure Evans. That was my year in video at Best Buy. The problem was quite obvious.

Also speakers that were damaged right out of the box

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: