Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » approximate resolution of film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: approximate resolution of film
Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What would be the approximate digital equivalent resolution of a frame of 35mm movie film(not still). Is it 4k X 3K approximately?
thanks

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-29-2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are differences of opinion on the matter. Some numbers suggest a 4-perf 35mm frame can display 24 million pixels of image detail. Others say a 4K video stream (4096 pixels across) would be adequate to replace 4-perf 35mm.

Most agree 2K (2048 pixels across) or HD (1920 pixels across) is not good enough to match 35mm.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-29-2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..probably is this why SONY is pushing to the 4K systems - to get to that 4096 resolution?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back when all this digital hoop-lah started I read and article that said 13+ million pixels per frame

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2006 11:29 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Greg, I remember something like that too. I think the 24 million pixel number is for a still image of 35mm film being double the area of 4 perf frame.
I'm wondering because if you can really better the image resolution then I think that digital is a natural progression in movie making. I'm a long time film collector so I don't need convincing on how great it looks. I'm just starting to come around because I see the improvements.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2006 11:06 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wonder on that digital stuff just how much is exagerated imagery. In other words if you go into an electronics store you have all the display devices set up. None of them look the same. All the settings are wacked out. You have to run a calibration program to set the set up for the best playback and then rely on the source.

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2006 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that's true but for the most part in looks pretty damn good. And once you get something set up in your home you wouldn't have to fuss with it that much.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-30-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's little argument that AT LEAST a 4K scan is needed to fully capture the detail in a 35mm frame. With a 4:3 aspect ratio full frame, that's approximately 12 megapixels per frame, a simplified figure that Kodak used in its ads for awhile.

In actuality, it's probably somewhat higher.

Image quality is measured by much more than resolution --- dynamic range, tonality, color reproduction, archivability, lack of aliasing, etc. all still favor film.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-30-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think video has pretty much gotten the "archivability" feature down pat since it's digital. All you have to do is make a direct digital copy every 12 or so years and you're set. The 6,000th copy is exactly like the first 72,000 years later. Digital is perfect in every way except where it's flawed.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-31-2006 02:34 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital is like "Ice Age" --- Migrate, or your images may be extinct. [Wink]

Trouble is, many of today's digital image formats have considerable compression, so migrating to new storage formats may be sensitive to missing the bits that are no longer there.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-31-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then wouldn't or shouldn't anything considered really worth preserving, if not distributed and played back, then at least be stored in uncompressed formats? Digital images and films do take up a lot of storage space, but then the storage media are not that expensive anymore.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine at 13+ meg per frame how big a file would have to be to store one movie, if it were not compressed [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-31-2006 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John/Greg, if you were intent on ARCHIVING something in digital, I don't think you're gonna compress it into MPEG or DIVX. And surely when the file "migrates" it's not going to be recompressed. That would be stupid. The storage mediums aren't there yet, but they will be very, very soon. I submit to you that digital data can last LONGER than film with absolutely ZERO loss from the original source.... EVER!

What are your opinions about solid state memory? No more "ice age"!

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 05:07 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Both still and motion picture film image resolution will be measured the same way. The best way is the use of MTF contrast measurements. The quick and dirty way is by the use of resolution targets. The actual measurement is in line pairs per millimeter much like a image printed in a book which is measured in dots per inch.

I would say the average is about 35 lines pairs per millimeter high contrast for a typical good quality 35mm motion picture frame. Can be as low as 15 and as high as 100.

[ 02-01-2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Larry Myers ]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This might sound far fetched but would solid state memory be subject to EMF pulse or other electrical fields? Magnetic fileds?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: