Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » SCART RGB to YUV converter

Author Topic: SCART RGB to YUV converter
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play a lot of older videogames and am tired of the lousy composite signal they output. I am interested in this:
Scart RGB to YUV converter

Of course America has never embraced SCART, and what I want to do is take a SCART RGB cable from my old Sega Genesis console (which runs in 240p almost exclusively) and input it into this expensive beasty, getting much cleaner video as a result. Yes, I like to spend obscene amounts of money for particularly no reason. Anyway I am concerned about this converter. Will it output an NTSC YUV signal, or will it convert everything to PAL since SCART only exists in PAL-land? I would hope for an NTSC-compatible signal since the RGB input will be roughly 60Hz. Do ya think it'll be able to go as low as 240p? I'm not talking about a 640x480 VGA signal here. I just want to be sure before I go and spend the money. One thing is for sure, though... I'll need to go to Radio Shack to buy an A/C adaptor for this thing since my wall outlets aren't all funkified like they are over in PAL-land. Getting the SCART RGB cable for the Genesis is super-mega-easy, so no problem on that front.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Hunter
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Rick Hunter   Email Rick Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
the RGB-YUV converter is simply a resistive mixing of the RGB signals into the correct proportions to make YUV.
If you have 525/60 RGB in, you will get 525/60 YUV out.
The device will not do any scan rate conversions or anything tricky like that.
The circuit will probably look a bit like this.
 -

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-14-2006 06:14 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That unit should be nothing but a resistive voltage divider on the inside, similar to what you'd find inside any analog three-chip camera, i.e. it converts the RGB out of the pickup device pre-amps to YUV prior to the inputs to the encoder. So my guess is it should be scanning standards agnostic: put in 525/60/2:1 and you get 525/60/2:1 out.

This Oz spec sheet for it says it operates in PAL, PAL M, PAL N, NTSC, NTSC 4.43, and SECAM, which supports my guess.

Since the unit shouldn't care about the signal timing standards, I would think it won't care about 240p vs. 480i. That's my guess anyway.

[Edit] Oops. Doubled with Rick's post. What he said.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-14-2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's what I wanted to hear. I only wish it did S-video AND Component. Oh well. It's either this one or the S-video one and I choose component as that is a mild step above S-video.

Thank yas!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: