Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Are these titles 16x9 enhanced? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are these titles 16x9 enhanced?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-25-2005 11:41 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a few new DVDs for Christmas, and I'm wondering (before I open them) if they're anamorphic. Does anyone have these?

Forrest Gump (Pretty sure this one probably is)
Dead Poets Society
Home Alone

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-2005 12:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to read the print on the back of the box. If they are dual-inventory, they'll say either WIDESCREEN or FULLSCREEN on the top of the front of the box. Chances are they are widescreen anamorpic or some crap like that,

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-26-2005 01:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dead Poets Society" - was in 1.85/1 (flat)
"Home Alone" - 1.85/1 (flat)

Look for the "enhanced for 16/9 Television" statement on the package (Disney's are pretty good about releasing their product for 16/9 playback). Otherwise, these will be formatted for the 4/3 standard TV, even though they'd be widescreen reproductions (if possible).

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-2005 01:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas (just for example) is 1.66 or some retarded format like that, so instead of cropping and doing true anamorphc widescreen, it just automatically zooms in to fill the picture on a 16:9 tv. I hate that! I guarantee no theater showed the movie in 1.66. Just create a 1.85 version and give us a true version of NBC!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-26-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, actually there are a many theatres that, given the option will show a "flat" film in 1.66 rather than 1.85 due to the better headroom. The other reason is perhaps just to ensure that Joe is wrong on his statements...either way is equally valid! I have had an increasing number of people requesting 1.75 formated plates to have a half-way between the over-cropped 1.85 and the touch-and-go frame lines of 1.66.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-26-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're all widescreen versions, but they don't indicate that they're anamorphic, so I think I'll wait and not open them until I have confirmation one way or the other. I don't really have much use for a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD. [Frown]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 05:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that they are anamorphic since those titles were probably formatted to be presented in widescreen (black bars above and below) on a normal TV screen (being the 4/3 screen). If shown on a 16/9 screen device, the unit would have to be programmed for 4/3 presentation. Otherwise the imagery on the screen would be massively stretched, and that's including "Gump", if not enhanced for 16/9 viewing.

What really sucks is that these two "flat" features were lensed in 1.33/1 full frame during shooting and then for print release (since I've ran them both on the big screen), and the trickery of DVD marketing has "apertured" them down to a widescreen (1.85/1) playback format-looking like what one would see these features on the movie screen.

-Monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Joe, actually blah blah blah blah....
Unacceptable!! There is no excuse for shooting ANYTHING to be presented at mainstream theaters in a less-than-1.85:1 format. Though I could understand 1.78:1 if they wanted to perfectly fit into a 16:9 picture.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
I doubt that they are anamorphic since those titles were probably formatted to be presented in widescreen (black bars above and below) on a normal TV screen (being the 4/3 screen). If shown on a 16/9 screen device, the unit would have to be programmed for 4/3 presentation. Otherwise the imagery on the screen would be massively stretched, and that's including "Gump", if not enhanced for 16/9 viewing.
If they're widescreen (letterboxed), and they AREN'T enhanced for 16x9, then they show up as a small box in the middle of my screen, unless I change my TV to non-widescreen mode, and zoom in on the 4x3 image, which I hate because it always looks like crap.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
What really sucks is that these two "flat" features were lensed in 1.33/1 full frame during shooting and then for print release (since I've ran them both on the big screen), and the trickery of DVD marketing has "apertured" them down to a widescreen (1.85/1) playback format-looking like what one would see these features on the movie screen.
I'm not sure why that sucks, but maybe you can help me out on that.

I did some checking around the net. Seems Forrest Gump is anamorphic, Home Alone is not (but region 2 is for some reason - and they both apparently suck), and Dead Poets also is not, but a special edition which IS anamorphic is coming out in a month, so I think I'll return this and wait for that version.

Thanks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
but maybe you can help me out on that.

..these two titles should have been released on DVD in fullscreen format (1.33/1) to fit the standard TV (4/3) screen.

Interesting that these are Region 2 DVD's though. Big time incompatibility issue there. I believe Region 2 is South America or Europe.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But just because they were shot in 1.33, doesn't mean they were meant to be screened that way.

For example, if you showed "Powder" in 1.33, you'd have full frontal male nudity in one scene.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I've seen a few flat films misframed so that a boom mic is visible in the top of the frame (but isn't visible if framed properly).

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a region 1 (ntsc) DVD of Flash Gordon (1980) (off ebay) that apparently came from South America. The labels are in Portuguese but there are no subtitles and it plays with english sound track. When I play it in progressive scan I have two choices of "framing" either "zoom" or "full" either way it doesn't play quite right. Either the actors are slightly fat or slightly thin. I don't know exactly why this is other than it was not transfered correctly. I guess I could adjust the display unit and get it right, but then all my other dvds would be goofed up. It's not enough to make it unwatchable but is a curiosity

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 12-27-2005 04:00 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a shot of two frames from Men In Black II that I cut out because of the horrible Crap Code gone wrong problem. As you can see, these are 1.33 frames, and they weren't meant to be seen that way (note the microphone).

-

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..then, it makes one wonder when manufacturers do DVD's that the original is shot through a 1.66/1 aperture to cut off the "microphone" goofup, then giving the choice (or do both) of taking was was shot through the 1.66/1 aperture, either "full frame" (in which some side imagery is cut off), or the "widescreen" version of the same imagery.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: