Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Center Channel Speaker

Author Topic: Center Channel Speaker
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been upgrading the "video theater" (front room) and bought a Pioneer 1015 processor/amp so I need to get a center channel speaker. I have a pair of Sony SS-CN495H that I ran off the output of the Panasonic display until now. Of course they are out of production now or I'd get another one of those.
What's a good (yet cheap) center channel speaker for video?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-05-2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting rid of the tubes, Greg? You'll need a solid state speaker if you do [Razz]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way I'd give up the McIntosh. It's running the stereo. All this video stuff is in another setup.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I hear someone mention Crapintosh??? Thats the company that sacrifices sound quality for reliability(according to one of their reps [Embarrassed] ). There are tubes and then there are toobes.....

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 10:54 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...don't dis my Mac [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Macs kick ass. I hate Windows (didn't see that one coming from 10 miles away, did ya?).

As for the center channel, I personally use a decent-sized bookshelf studio monitor speaker which is placed below my TV in a custom sound I had built. It is that same make as my Left and Right speakers, but the woofer isn't as big and it doesn't have a tuned port. Personally, I can't stand those wimpy "home theater" center channel speakers that lay horizontally. Try and get a real speaker and find a place for it.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wound up buying this JBL EC35
here
http://www.electronics-expo.com/product.jsp?x=EC35&zipz=11001
(and it was $10 cheaper when I bought it)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,

That IS really what I was told by a MAC represenbtative at an amp clinic way back in the early 80's!! I guess he didn't want to travel, was in a bad mood, or he just didn't like MAC equipment either.... I've never kept any MAC piece I've had for more than 3 months with the exception of an MR-78 tuner ... but these days there's nuttin to listen to on the airwaves worth a darn or an MR-78. MAC's always have a gritty sound as a result of the Class B output stages(the part of the amps they trade off quality for reliability)in both the tube and solid state amps. But the glow and heat they give off is nice in the winter..... [Cool]

That JBL is very similar to the Polk Audio Speaker that finds a home on top of my MITs 50 incher. I never use mine but I hope the JBL works out well for you!!

Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no doubt that tubes add a little color to the sound. However, in this case, I like that sound.
It's just a matter of preference

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-11-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
There's no doubt that tubes add a little color to the sound. However, in this case, I like that sound.
It's just a matter of preference

Greg, I absolutely agree... there isn't a piece of audio gear that doesn't add its own signature. Having owned more equipment over the years than I can remember and from working in that industry and for a time having first right of refusal of any trade ins from a large Hi-Fi chain.... so I've had the good fortune to compare alot of equipment over the years. Except for the MR-78, the MAC stuff I've owned(MC240, MC30s, C-11, MC75s, MC250) just are not a standout amongst other stuff I've had(BAT, Audio Research, Threshold, Pass Labs, Krell) thats all. The best thing about MAC is they generally re-sell for more than what you pay for them and there are only a few audio companies that can make that claim..... but most of that vintage stuff ends up overseas. Today I buy very little store bought audio gear, instead I build everything and build it alot better than the factory generally does. Contrary to what others may think "high end" doesn't have to be high priced.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: