Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Carry on Up the Khyber (1968)

Author Topic: Carry on Up the Khyber (1968)
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2005 04:23 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

I have spent the past week reviewing a lot of the old Carry on Films with Sid James, Kenneth Williams etc

To date Carry on Up the Khyber is by far the funniest film I have seen and despite missing some cast members it works really well. The comedy is consistent throughout the film and there is plenty of action going on in more ways than one.

The following page describes the plot thus:

http://www.carryonline.com/carryonline/carryonupthekhyber.html

quote:
"British India, 1895. The Burpas are revolting but then again "The Devils in Skirts" who guard the Khyber Pass are none too charming either.

Can Sid James as Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond prevent the scheming Khasi of Kalabar (Kenneth Williams) from starting a full scale rebellion, massacring thousands of innocent people, ending British Rule and making his cushy job obsolete? Can he prevent the secret concerning the 3rd Foot and Mouth Regiment from becoming common knowledge among the natives?

I couldn't help wonder what Americans made of the Carry On films as I imagine they would have been regarded as a bit too 'blue' or smutty for US tastes.

40 years later the humour is actually quite tame with lots of double entrendres. In fact the humour is merely suggestive, not explicit. It appears from the dvds I have been watching that the prints have been digitally restored and it is wonderful to watch them without any fading or redness.

What do readers think of this and other Carry On Films? I notice that in 1992 they tried to ressurrect the series with Carry On Columbus but unfortunately failed.

Maybe it is time for a new carry on film with new faces and another try at producing a carry on film that is relevant to modern times. Carry on Terrorising maybe?

cheers
Peter

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2005 05:19 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Those "Carry On" series were the funniest set of fliks that came from "across the pond" in the 60's. Funniest one was "Carry On Nurse," then "Cleo","Camping","Sargent", et.al.

A great example of excellent British humour that existed until "Monty Python" entered into our midst. Then, we were introduced to another form of humour that took a while to sink in.

Monte

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2006 07:39 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned on the radio that "Carry On London" is to be made. The successful stage show with the same name ran for 18 months. Producer Peter Rogers recently celebrated his 92nd birthday with a party at Pinewood Studios.

I recieved this email today via the the BKSTS. Some input from cinema workers might also be welcome.

The “Carry On” Years - 1958 -1978

We Need Your Help !

This exciting documentary celebrates a comedy film series that has become the

‘Best of British’......& we need your help.

For the first time...... it is the production team that receives ‘Top Billing’.
We want talk to ‘behind the scenes’ crew on how these bawdy comedies were brought to the screen in record breaking time, remaining under an already low budget.

This weekly series will focus on one particular year & feature clips from ‘Carry On’ films released, or being produced during that specific year.
The programmes promise to feature personal memories from technicians who worked on the films & from the general public who went to see them in the cinemas.

Contributions in the programmes will be from ‘Carry On’ Producer, Peter Rogers alongside cast & crew from Pinewood studios

The programmes also aims to take a slice of every day Britain supplied by newsreel footage & build a picture of life during the ‘Carry On’ era.
Does ‘Carry On’ reflect life, or does life reflect in ‘Carry On’ ?

The programme will be hosted by a selection of ‘Carryoons’ - Cartoon ‘Carry On’ characters

We welcome anyone who has contributed towards one of the most successful film series in history

We look forward to hearing form you.

Ken Burns
Producer
Licence to Shoot

Tel: 01663 751527
Write to: Ken Burns, c/o Peter Rogers Productions, Pinewood Studios, Iver Heath SL0 0NH

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: