Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Playing Dolby 1.0 DVDs on a PC

Author Topic: Playing Dolby 1.0 DVDs on a PC
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-27-2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently ordered the Warner NTSC DVD rereleases of Clash by Night, Mildred Pierce and Out of the Past from the US Amazon site. The transfers are all great, and compared to some studios who seem willing to let dodgy independent publishers put out shitty transfers of equally shitty 16mm prints of their older titles, I'd give a big thumbs up to Warner - these discs look great and show that the studio is willing to put money into looking after its back catalogue and presenting it the best way possible.

The audio is Dolby 1.0 - track on centre channel only. I guess the decision to use Dolby 1.0 was to free up extra bandwidth for the picture: that makes technical sense, but it gives me a problem. When watching the discs on my PC the centre speaker on its own isn't loud enough to hear the soundtrack comfortably, even with the volume cranked right up. I've played around with the settings on Power DVD and can't find a way of telling it to send the audio to the L and R speakers as well (most of the other mono DVDs I have are 2.0, duplicating the same track on L & R, and they don't give me any problem).

Question - is there a way of doing this in Power DVD that I've missed, or if not, is there another DVD playback program out there which will send a 1.0 track to more than one speaker? Many thanks in advance...

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-27-2005 02:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plug headphones into the minijack out on your sound card. Don't let it go out and Pro Logic. My guess is that the audio was mastered at a very low level.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 11-27-2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or play it in WMP and use the internal graphic EQ to boost the level. I don't know how much boost is available (it just says "1...14" but I doubt those are dB steps), but it might be enough. My PC has AC97 onboard audio which came with an audio configuration tool which allows another 12dB boost. Maybe your system has a similar tool. One of the two is usually enough for low level sources, but you may of course run into distortion problems.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-28-2005 05:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
My guess is that the audio was mastered at a very low level.
Correct - it seems stupidly low.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try the Windows Media Player boost route in a couple of weeks time when I'm back from the US.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested in the UK "Mildred Pierce" is being screened on BBC 2 TV Wednesday 21st December at 1.10pm.

IMDb

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-21-2005 08:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't able to boost the level using the PC alone to anything comfortable. In the end, I stuck a standalone phono preamp in between the sound card and the speakers... it was a bit bass heavy because of the RIAA curve, but for the soundtrack of a 1940s film, it did the job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: