Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 1080P screens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 1080P screens
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2005 06:48 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last weekend the wife and I went to the local Magnolia HiFi, which is a very expensive store, but they have all the latest stuff so you can see it in person.
In one room they had several 1080P DLP rear projection screens by Mitsubishi and Samsung and a couple others. They all had 720P programming on them, upscaled to 1080P, until the salesman came in and we started talking about 1080P availability and "the future". He ran a demo off a hard drive that was true 1080P on a 1080P screen and it was really impressive. We were sitting maybe 6-7 feet from the screen (about a 70") and could see no pixels or artifacts. In fact I had to get up and put on my reading glasses and walk over to the screen before I could see the tiny little squares. This was at about 1'.
Too bad this store is about 25-35% over internet prices.

I've got to admit these DLP screens look pretty darn good, but I'm still questioning whether there's going to be stuck micro mirrors and such. That would be a real heart breaker. I'd like to see a plasma screen in this rez at about 50-56". I like the flat panel aspect. The only problem is that we are going to retire to NM at high altitude (7300') someday and I hear the plasma displays have an altitude limit or limitations.
If you get the chance and want some cheap entertainment, drop by your local high end video store and check out the new crop of screens. Pretty amazing

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-22-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing which will double a 1080P screen's value is the ability to run it both as a HDTV and a computer monitor.

There may not be any 1080P broadcasts right now. But computer monitors can do 1080P. Future video formats, video game systems and more will support 1080P and resolutions even higher than that.

Apple's 30" Studio Cinema Display monitor has a native resolutionn of 2560 X 1600 pixels. I think resolutions of that level and higher will be featured on future HDTVs to support multi-purpose use.

Already I've made computer monitor connections a must have item for when I buy a HDTV monitor. That and a minimum of 1920 X 1080 native resolution are mandatory to get me to part with my dollars.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-22-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like any form of upscaling. If I watch the Batman Begins trailer on my computer screen at its native 1280x544 pixels, it looks extremely sharp and downright awesome every single frame. If I watch if full screen on my monitor at 1680x714 it still looks pretty good, but it loses much of the "WOW" factor it had at its native resolution, and even though I can see all of the same details, it didn't look anywhere near as sharp.

They need to invent better technology to show everything at its native resolution all the way from the 240p and 480i of a typical analog TV set all the way up to 1080p and above. Or they need to pick one resolution and stick to it, and not bother with the 720p/1080i nonsense.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-24-2005 08:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually 1080P is the ultimate destination for DTV. But I've heard that its a couple of decades away from happening in everyday broadcasting......

Greg, Re: the DLP screens.. watch out for the single panel rear projection sets. Those produce some of the wierdest digital and color artifacts you will ever see!

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-24-2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Actually 1080P is the ultimate destination for DTV.
Bullshit. Try 7680 x 4320, or 4320p. Hell yeah. 1080p sucks ass.

quote: Source
Corporation (NHK) has demonstrated a live relay of a 4x x 8k resolution Super Hi-Vision program connecting a 260-km distance by a fiberoptic network.

NHK's next-generation broadcasting system can convey the sensation of reality to viewers. Super Hi-Vision is the provisional format for that purpose, achieving 7680 x 4320 pixels.

It already demonstrated the images of Super Hi-Vision at the 2005 World Exposition, Aichi, Japan, held from March to September in Aichi this year using a preliminary prepared video footage.

NHK developed a Super Hi-Vision camera equipped with 8 megapixel CCD image sensors that can take 4k x 8k images. In the field test, it sent the two cameras to a sea park and sent baseband signals without image compression using an fiberoptic network formed by multiple network companies.

The signal of the total 24 gigabits per second was divided into 161.5 Gbps HD-SDI signals to sent using the DWDM (dense wavelength division multiplex) method.

"Super Hi-Vision has huge information and was difficult to transmit. Using 16 waves on optic fiber, we succeeded a live relay over a long distance. This means that Super Hi-Vision proved the possibility of being a future TV broadcasting technology," said Mikio Maeda, senior research engineer of the laboratory.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-24-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an article in the current issue of The Perfect Vision about how many HDTVs actually display half their claimed resolution. Something to do with whether the TV's video processor uses "bob" or "weave" with the interlaced signal (I know, this thread is about 1080p). Anyhoo, "weave" means taking the 2 alternating frames from the interlaced image and making a single progressive frame out of them. Nothing is thrown away. That's the correct way to do it. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of HDTVs (including all of Samsung's 720P DLP models) use "bob". That means it takes a single interlaced frame (representing half the total image information) and upscales it, while throwing away the other half of the same frame.

The whole HDTV thing is a scam I tells ya! Seriously, I think consumers have been suckered into buying so-called HDTV sets that were never really HDTV to begin with and never met their claimed resolution specs. [thumbsdown] Not to mention the broadcasters are cheating on the bandwidth, bigtime.

The new Sony SXRD 1080p sets do the weave thing correctly though. I saw one (at Sears of all places, and on sale) and it was noticeably better than anything else in the store.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is using an interlaced signal, it is not 1080p. "P" stands for progressive. There is absolutely nothing interlaced about it. Not one damned thing. Otherwise it is simply "i". My TV does 1080i, and only one field is shown at any given moment in time, just like with 480i. It would simply be wrong to show two fields at the same time in a progressive fashion. There would be combing artifacts like you wouldn't believe. If I get close during a broadcast or other 1080i source being played through my TV, I can see it flickering back and forth as it interlaces. That's what interlacing does. Interlace. When my TV displays 480p, there is no flicker. It displays 480p as a true progressive signal. Progressive, no flicker beyond the normal 60Hz nonsense (and they have 100Hz TVs in Europe, those assholes, I want 120Hz TVs here NOW). If anyone is claiming 1080p and actually using 1080i to achieve their results, then they suck much ass. 720p also is not interlaced. The Perfect Vision must be a shitty magazine. They sound quite flawed and I highly recommend urinating on the magazine in a supermarket parking lot, preferably Albertson's.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 10:24 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I said "frames" when I should have said "fields". 2 fields = 1 frame. Their claim is that some HDTVs take 1 interlaced field and uprez it to make a frame out of it, rather than combining 2 complete fields to make a frame. They ran their findings by the TV makers whose sets supposedly do this and they confirmed it (all LG sets do it for example). Supposedly there's a definitive test and it's easy to demonstrate. I never heard of it before I read this article though. I'll see if I can dig up the magazine and quote it more accurately.

EDIT: OK, here's some of what they say. The Perfect Vision, December 2005, Issue #64, Page 14, "HDTV Insider News", author is Gary Merson. I'm paraphrasing, accurately, but condensing it.

HDTV's 1080i signals are sent out interlaced with 540 odd-numbered lines and 540 even-numbered lines needed to complete the full 1080-line frame. Many TV makers opt to upconvert one 540-line field to the TV's native resolution, 720, 768, or 1080. The other field is discarded. This is called "bobbing". Using both fields to make a full frame is called "weaving". "Bobbing" throws away half the 1080 lines in a 1080i HDTV broadcast.

Farouda/Genesis chipsets prior to the current version use "bobbing". None of the 2004 or earlier TVs using their chipsets use "weaving".

All Samsung LCD and plasma sets were found to "weave". All Samsung DLP sets were found to "bob".

Out of 53 sets tested, 23 "weaved" (passed) and 30 "bobbed" (failed).

Manufacturers were contacted and all concurred with the methodology and findings, even companies whose own sets failed.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, do they have an actual list of passers and failers. That would be a valuable list, if you were in the market

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 11-25-2005 12:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The same issue occurs with 480p DVD players. Some players use the flags imbedded within the data stream to tell whether to bob or weave when putting the progressive signal together. The problem is many authoring houses don't bother to set the flags correctly. What's worse, sometimes individual titles are digitized scene-by-scene or reel-by-reel, sometimes interlaced and sometimes progressive. Add that to incorrectly set flags and you get the occasional rough transistions between scenes and horizontal flagging and tearing of moving objects within scenes. This is something that currently plagues all of the cheaper 480p DVD players since it is cheaper to simply read the data flags when setting up for bob or weave. They are vulnerable to authoring house screw ups.

The more expensive players use scan cadence reading to make the bob vs. weave decision. This is a more expensive process since it reads every frame and decides on a frame-by-frame basis which technique to use.

I imagine similar issues will crop up as we transision to the new HD discs.

BTW, this month the senate voted to set the DTV transision date to 7 April 2009. The house voted to set the date to 31 December 2008. They will now hammer out the final date in conference committee. So, the date will soon become law, no longer merely a suggestion by the FCC. Broadcast of NTSC will cease on that date, freeing up the present VHF and UHF spectrum to be auctioned off and thus raise more money for federal use. Because of the amount of money involved I wouldn't count on seeing this date slip too many more times.

Also, just this week the FCC has set 1 April 2007, 16 months from now, for all new TV sets to have built-in ATSC tuners. This also applies to any other device that receives OTA signals. The only exemption is for monitors that don't have any tuning capability at all.

Of course there will be lots of old analog sets still out there, but hopefully the new set-top digital converter boxes won't be too expensive. Progress.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, the article includes a table listing the test results, but it doesn't specify the exact model numbers of the sets. For example, for Panasonic it says 5 plasma and LCD flat-panel sets passed and 3 LCD rear projector models failed. No specific model numbers.

All the tested JVC, Hitachi, Pioneer, and Toshiba branded sets passed. One Dell set was tested and it passed.

Sony, Panasonic and Samsung results were mixed (Sony's newest LCD flat panels and SXRD rear-projection sets pass though).

All sets made by Sharp and LG failed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well since I can tell the diffrence between 30 images a second and 60 images a second, I'm sure that my HDTV does whatever it is supposed to do correctly since I clearly see 60 images per second with my naked eye. I can totally tell when watching the news (which is in HDTV 1080i) or even a 480i source which is upscaled to 960i for no reason whatsoever by the TV.

PS - I always author my DVDs with the correct flags, and you NEVER see any combing artifacts on my 24p DVDs when viewed in progressive no matter the player. I kick ass. The studios are full of amateurs. Seriously. If they can't get the flags right, they have no business authoring DVDs and are not skilled enough and/or are using inferior tools for the job. What a bunch of losers. Their family deserves herpes in the mouth.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-25-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bob and weave issue described may be another factor that threatens traditional broadcast standards.

Some 1080P rated HDTV displays can double as computer monitors and show a native 1920 X 1080 computing desktop. If you have a computer powerful enough (and a display to match) you can already download true 1080P HD content today. Apple's movie trailer site is one such example. Computers have been able to display much higher resolution rates than TV for a long time now.

The superior resolution standards of computer displays matched with a wider broadband pipe, anything above 30Mb/s to 40Mb/s, will allow the Internet to drop kick standard broadcasting methods viciously in the chest.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Actually 1080P is the ultimate destination for DTV. But I've heard that its a couple of decades away from happening in everyday broadcasting......
I have strong doubts the powers that be will ever manage fitting a 1080P signal within a 6MHz range of broadcast spectrum. It's only going to take a few years before lots of people patch a 1080P video stream from the Internet into their HDTV monitors.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-25-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they're claiming the TVs don't display 60 images per second. They're saying that half the available image info is thrown away in the process of generating those 60 images.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-25-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry David, but if they're thowing away half of the frame (every other field) then they are throwing away half of the motion as well. I would most definitely notice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: