Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Oppo DVD player (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oppo DVD player
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at DVD players on the net and found a couple of articles on the Oppo 0PDV971H. Comes "Zone 0", and it's cheap at $200 (for what it does). The interesting part is that it can do higher than 480P resolution (540P 576P 720P 1080i) but only through it's DVI video out port. I have a Panasonic plasma screen that has a 15 pin "video in" for hooking to a computer.
Is there an adapter to hook that 15 pin to the DVI out? Or is that not possible.

A couple of reviews
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/dvdplayers/1105oppo/

http://www.dvdtalk.com/features/004343.html

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, what you need is a VGA to DVI adapter cable. Check into www.newegg.com for cable information (if this conversion is possible..)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-16-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can buy female HD15 to male DVI-A adapters. They're worth about $15.

Not sure what resolution impact you might see... I've only used them with computer monitors at 1280x1024x32.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-16-2005 11:03 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of things to understand here...a DVI-I to VGA "adapter" is only an adapter in the sense that it routes the analog pins on the DVI-I connector to the VGA pins (HD15). There is no signal conversion done in the adapter...just wiring. A DVI-I connector, as it looks like the OPPO has, will have both digital and analog versions of the signal available.

The adapters are relatively cheap and available from several sources. Your signal will be analog from the DVD player. I would verify that the analog signals are also scaled before investing in this solution, however. Since they only offer the upscaled output on the DVI connector, it may be logically inferred that the scaled versions are only available in digital form...thus the adapter may not have the scaled version of the signal.

There are actual DVI to RGB converters where they take the digital signal and convert it to an analog one. An example is the Extron DVI-RGB100 This unit, however, works with a DVI-D (digital only connector) and will convert it to analog (suitable for use with a VGA type connector with a BNC->VGA cable). It will only work with HDTV signals up to 720p though.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-16-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also keep in mind that your TV probably only accepts analog VGA and the $200 DVD player probably only outputs digital DVI. There are analog pins on a DVI-I connector (the 4 large ones off to the side) but many DVI connectors ignore the analog aspect. It is important to find out if the connector on the DVD player is DVI-I (the "I" stands for "Integrated") or just a DVI-D. Most likely you will need a TV with a true DVI input, or an HDMI input using a DVI to HDMI convertor (they are both the same thing, more or less). But looking at the picture of the connector in the review, it does look like a DVI-I. I used to have a ton of DVI-I to VGA convertors that came with my Macs.

Also, upscaling DVDs really doesn't do a whole lot for them. They certainly don't look tons better. 480p is DVD's native and highest resolution.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2005 04:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Also, upscaling DVDs really doesn't do a whole lot for them. They certainly don't look tons better. 480p is DVD's native and highest resolution.
(kind of a side topic here, but has the same parallel situation) - Remember the Sega 16 bit system then they had the brainy idea of that gadget that was placed on top of the system to make it a 32 bit machine called the "32X" attachment? Kids would immediately buy this thing, thinking that this "32X" device will make their games more lifelike, but unfortunately, with the 16bit limitation of the carts, the "32X" unit couldn't help the 16 bit software act like 32bit games, Unit was only designed with the "32X" software of cartridge or CD.

-monte

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the 32X did indeed improve the regular composite video of the Genesis. At least the original Genesis, I never bothered with the stepchild Genesis 2 or 3 systems. The regular Genesis had weird vertical chroma bars when viewed over a composite connection. Hook up a 32X and those bars are gone and the image is even a bit sharper. The reason for that was because the Genesis RGB video was routed into the 32X, and the 32X had a better RGB to composite decoder.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 08:39 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that going from DVI to RGB will give you the expected results. The issue is that DVI ports have a hardware copy protection in them, so that your DVD player will know that it is plugged into a monitor/tv rather than a recorder. If the DVD player does not get the proper response back from your tv, it will either lower the resolution down to 480p or not output anything, depending on your DVD player's programming.

Samsung also makes some cheap (under $200) players that do the up-conversion through the DVI output.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 09:12 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is that I've had this plasma screen pretty much since they came out and it's always been suggested that they have a limited life span. I haven't seen any problems yet, but all things die eventually. Right now the physical resolution of the screen is 480P, but planning ahead, I know I'll have to get another display someday and it will have a DVI input and higher rez. But given this is a relatively "cheap" DVD player, will it last? It sounds like a geat machine (for the price) but I bet the next model out will be even better (the setable zone thing is really attractive too)

Meanwhile, Samsung is bringing out some pretty interesting displays for pretty cheap, compared to what big flat screens used to go for. I like the 56” HLR5688W
http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESdisplays/SamsungHLR5688W1080pDLP.php

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-17-2005 10:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
The issue is that DVI ports have a hardware copy protection in them
No, that is HDMI. Also there is no conversion from DVI-i to VGA. It's just a different pin configuration.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 11:50 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
No, that is HDMI. Also there is no conversion from DVI-i to VGA. It's just a different pin configuration.
No, HDMI is just DVI with sound added, using a different and smaller connector. You can go between DVI and HDMI with no problem.

I think you are refering to HDCP, which is the hardware copy protection added to DVI sometime after it's introduction and on all HDMI. While it is true that mapping between DVI-I and RGB is just pin configuration, all current (non computer) DVD players contain HDCP, and if they do not get the proper HDCP response back from from the display device, they will not output HD in either digital or analog from their DVI/HDMI outputs.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any non-HDCP DVD players with upconversion?

Thanks,
Mike

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote to Oppo tech support and asked if they might have a way to get 480P out of the RGB output or if they might have a new player coming out soon that might. I got this response......

Greg,
We are working on a new product that will hopefully have better component support, but we are looking at a production run that will not start until early next year.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
453 Ravendale Dr, Suite D
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Guess I can wait just a bit longer to see what they come up with

Concerning the DVI to 15 pin question, their FAQ says this

Q: My display unit does not have a DVI or HDMI input. Can I use a DVI to VGA (RGB) adapter?
A: Unfortunately, no. VGA is an analog interface, whereas the OPDV971H is a purely digital DVI interface. Consequently, the OPDV971H will not transmit an analog signal. In order to use the OPDV971H on a VGA (RGB) device, you would need a separate digital to analog converter for VGA output. Please note some DVI-VGA adapters that come with computer video cards will not work, because those adapters only work for DVI-I output, which has both digital and analog signals. The OPDV971H has a DVI-D output, which is purely digital.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oppo makes a great DVD player. i also heard the Bravo D3 will be an excellent machine. it was supposed to come out over the summer, but not sure if it made it. It was supposed to not only upconvert, but also play the microsoft WMV-HD files (like on the T2-Extreme Edition) DVD, which are true 1080i or 720p, not upconverted.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank
On one of the BB I go to, they say that customer service for the Bravo is pretty poor. A lot of people there, seem to like the Panasonic S97

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: