Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » ALIEN in six-track Dolby Stereo no one can hear you scream!

Author Topic: ALIEN in six-track Dolby Stereo no one can hear you scream!
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 07:36 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
ALIEN in six-track Dolby Stereo no one can hear you scream!

At the present moment I’m running “ALIEN” 1979-2000 edition, now has anyone on the Film-Tech forums done an A&B test of the two, also it’s my belief that the 1979-2000 edition is close to the original theatrical realise.

The six-track Dolby Stereo mix on this film is indispensable. And not only is it a masterful Sci-Fi horror, with a chilling opening score by the late “Jerry Goldsmith” his new scores will be missed at the cinema, but will remain immortalised on film.

Ridley Scott has a masterful artists hand with drawing storyboards eye for details that he brushes carefully onto the canvas to be seen on the big screen.

So the six-track Dolby Stereo mix, have you guys done an A&B test of this Sci-Fi horror classic. And what do you think of the two versions the 70mm Dolby Stereo and Dolby SR-D 2003 directors cut edition.

If you listen to the Audio commentary on the 1979-2000 edition on chapter 2 to 3 Ridley Scott is raving about the six-track Dolby Stereo mix, but makes no comment about it in the 2003 edition?

http://www.spielbergfilms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31890#post31890

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
???

(ahem)

I will say the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD (1999 release) of "Alien" was the first DVD I purchased (along with "Blade" and "Aliens"). Still, the 5.1 mix on that DVD is fairly tame. It's certainly not as bombastic as more recent 5.1 soundtracks, such as reference quality mixes on "U-571," "Toy Story 2" or "Saving Private Ryan."

"Alien" is a good horror movie though. It has a strange, artsy operatic quality to it. You could show this movie in a theater or museum and it would be perfectly at home in either venue.

"Aliens" being an action movie, didn't need to repeat the same feeling. Just a great, balls to the wall, James Cameron action pic.

"Alien3" revived some of the first movie's original feel (likely due to David Fincher's direction). Still, "Alien3" sucked ass, all thanks to the slew of egomanical producers who massaged it into being what I consider one of the worst paced movies ever made.

"Alien Ressurection": total shit. I was deeply embarrased I stayed up to 2:00am on a Friday morning sacrificing sleep to watch a pre-release run through.

"AVP"? Saw it on HBO this past week. Better than "Ressurection," but still fairly stinky. There's some really bad writing afoot in this one. Why waste time having a character show digital camera photos of his kids near the beginning only to kill him off (and do it badly) in the movie? Hell, they tried to make the Predator dudes not look so much like "ugly motherf**kers" -and even make them a bit sympathetic in character. Oh, and holy shit, "AVP" is actually coming on HBO as I type this. Guess I'll need to change the channel to Comedy Central.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 08:41 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby’

Bugger me man, that poor dude “Brett” as just got THX’ed poor bugger.

So I agree with the other “Alien” films “Aliens” they should have stop right there.

So I take it you have not got the 2003 directors cut edition, at present Dallas is crawling though the vents, and the six-track Dolby Stereo mix is WOW, oh that doent look good that sticky stuff, the tension in Jerry score is nail biting oh Bugger me man, that screeching sound gets me every fucking time, Dallas is of the show, looks like it’s three humans and one psycho android called “Ash” and “Parker” doesn’t like him.

So at what db level do you play your films at Bobby’ 0db THX reference level, as does your AVR readout display in (db) most AVR’s do now these days.

As for “AVP” that’s more fit for clay pigeon shooting, than wasting away on the DVD shelf .

Looks like Ash as just gone psycho, and is flipping out, Jesus, it’s robot! Ash is a God damn robot, God! I thought there was something queer about him when I first saw this film 24 years ago, I couldn’t go and see it when it was realised in 1979 as was 12 and the film was rated (X) for the U.S. it’s rated (R) we no longer have (X) but then (X) is the equivalent to (18).

I remember one of my dads friends telling me about it, how the audience was freaked out about it, the first time I saw it was on Fox Video, 1982 just 15 years old, and still to this day I’m amazed with the way it looks and sounds, but it’s the sound that that eeriness of woo, don’t go down there alone…

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: