Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » “Kingdom of Heaven”: a biblical, sound mix of sand and blood. DVD

Author Topic: “Kingdom of Heaven”: a biblical, sound mix of sand and blood. DVD
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
“Kingdom of Heaven”: a biblical, sound mix of sand and blood.

Well last nights showing of “Ridley Scott’s” “Kingdom of Heaven” 2005 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320661/
was very biblical an issue talking about can lead to a war hear on the Film-tech forums, so I’ll just cut to the chase the settings of locations and performances by the leading cast and supporting cast members was holding up very well in my opinion, though I’m a Ridley Scott Fan is not to say I’ve seen all his works, there are millions films worldwide and only a few Ridley Scott films. The films impression on me was the Dolby six-track mix, through the 2hours and 28minutes listening to dialogue effects and music was focusing on what was happening, and to follow the story.

The style of this film was close to epic grandness, but it’s a long way from “Gladiator” status 2000 and it may take years for “Kingdom of Heaven” into becoming a classic, though it may not even become a cult classic like “Blade Runner” 1982 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/ it’s still a fine work of an artists time and sweat and time into producing a film with lots of effects that helped tell the story.

Loudness was a lot less than “Gladiator” with re-recoding mixers academy award winners for “Black Hawk Down” 2001 “Michael Minkler” and “Myron Nettinga” http://www.euphonix.com/news/news2002/032802_black_hawk_down.htm have yet again demonstrated there artistic talents, if my memory severs me correctly the sound level on “Black Hawk Down” was on the quite side of the mix, not sure if anyone else as noticed that approach in the films soundtrack mix.

The battle scenes where done with impacting sound with the directivity and pounding impacts hitting the walls with some watery textures like dumping the oil over the invading army attacking “Jerusalem” with a fiery sound as they went up in smoke.

With some of the post production work completed at Shepperton Korda Theatre, Shepperton, UK http://www.euphonix.com/post/s5_installs/shepperton.htm this is a state of the art dubbing theatre, where some classic films from “Aliens” 1986 academy award winner for best sound effects editing, the digital realm is getting more complex each and every year now and more channels may be implemented into getting it as acoustical real as possible, but hearing films from the past 10 years alone seems real enough to me, it’s impossible to do explosion sounds without the sound pressures bursting the audiences eras inwards, so the techniques of getting the approximation in acoustical terms is very good, and that was the result of the Dolby sound mix of “Kingdom of Heaven.”

With some low end usage mostly over the three-screen channels with little usage on the split-surrounds that was vibrating the room at times, with composer “Harry Gregson-Williams” http://www.soundtrack.net/soundtracks/database/?id=3943 doing the score for “Kingdom of Heaven” with additional score works by the late “Jerry Goldsmith” that pops up in the film, as is the case with scoring composers and mixers, if something is not working lets use this piece of score and with some miracle it fits into place.

My final conclusion to last nights viewing was, one of slight disappointment, but if I get the verge to revisit at a later date it will be based on its Dolby Stereo digital mix and nothing more.

The “THX” sound system helped to tame the high frequency and maintain smoothness though to the split-surrounds with the centre back surround engaged alone with “Sonic Whole Overhead Sound” all worked out fantastic results.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: