Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » What Are Used Laserdisks Worth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What Are Used Laserdisks Worth
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2005 09:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I've been moving all my stuff into the bigger house I was thinking to myself why on earth have I kept all these old Laser Disks.... So I am considering getting rid of them but am curious what they might be worth and what to ask for them.... I would think theya re worth more than your average used LP would be, but I really have no idea. I have a dozen or so boxed sets like 2001 and Alien, IMMMMW and so on and there are a number of disks there that are not yet on DVD. I have a total of 224 of them.
Thanks in advance for any input and info!!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2005 09:49 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roughly speaking, laserdiscs are:

• Worthless if the title is out on DVD.
  • Worth around $30-40 if the title is not on DVD, more for real rarities.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-09-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dumped my collection of LaserDiscs on eBay a few years ago. I just wanted to get rid of ALL of them and not deal with a lot of 1-disc sales. So I divided them up into 3 groups. One group was B-list routine titles of little interest to anyone and probably difficult to sell. The second group was A-list titles (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc). The last group was "collector" titles.

I sold the collector items individually, as true auctions, with a minimum bid and no reserve. There weren't that many of them. An example was Joe Kane's video calibration disk and a couple of Criterion titles. Also I had the 5-title boxed set of "Star Trek I thru V", letterboxed and with digital sound. I think it was numbered with a certificate or something. That boxed set was the biggest single sale.

I auctioned off the A and B titles in mixed batches of 15-20. Each batch had a Buy It Now price that I considered fair, considering that I just wanted to get rid of them all. I "seeded" each batch with a few A titles and the rest B titles, hoping the good ones would help me get rid of the lesser ones.

The strategy worked for me. I sold them all, got decent prices, didn't have to deal with shipping dozens of individual disks, and the buyers probably felt they got a gem or 2 in those bulk batches. I probably didn't extract every possible dollar out of them, but that wasn't my goal.

Be sure to research eBay on what your A-list and collector items are selling for when you set your prices.

Of course, if you don't do eBay, this info isn't much help. [Wink]

Note that many collectors are as interested in sleeve condition ("shelf wear") are as they are in whether the disks are scratched or have laser rot.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 12:22 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ACtually, if the title is on DVD, it might not totally be worthless. Lots of laserdiscs have extras that didn't or won't ever make it to DVD. Like the Frighteners boxset, the complete 4 hr documentary will probably be cut down for the new special edition, and the Criterion Bonds with the "recalled" commentary tracks, just to name a few, that are probably worth big bucks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 03:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started to collect Laserdisks when I found a Pioneer double tray player at a thrift store for 20 bucks in excellent condition - along with 20 Laserdisks to go along with it.

True, I've sold a few LD's on "eBone" from 4 bucks a pop to almost 30 for certain ones.

There are some collectors out there who still love this format. Just as the ones who crave the RCA's CED format since the needles for the CED are still available-just have to hunt on the internet for them.

..and the vinyl collectors and the reel tape collectors as well - almost anything analog or linear swings their way.

thx-Monte

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, Tao, David, Mike, and Monte

There is differences in the sound the framing of the image, but mostly the sound, STAR TREK the motion picture directors edition the mix sucks, and where’s captain Kirk’s tapping the table sound all gone to, defiantly a major foul up in the remixing those donkeys have deaf hearing all round, thank God I’ve kept my STAR TREK laserdiscs, and playing “STAR TREK TMP” with three-screen JBL and JBL pretty much all around the room with mighty JBL 4645 sub bass THX sound and feels like the CIC EMPIRE cinema October 8th 1989 STAR TREK all day, anyway staying on topic same thing applies to the SATR WARS films episode 4 A New Hope has gone through 6 different mixes, and where’s that dialogue pan with the princess and the EWOK gone to in Return of the Jedi, the original version laserdisc cat # 1478-85 retains this in the mix unlike the definitive collection where the film has gone through another remix and again with STAR WARS SE ED, laserdisc and now with the super mega hyperspace DVD, I’m not saying you guys don’t listen.

Do and A&B test of the DVD VS laserdisc and if you really think it’s worth giving up, then fine there are some that I have given up like “DIE HARD” THX laserdisc and the cool panned sound where Hans pulls on the trigger while pointing it at McClain, on the DVD version the sound as been mixed into the centre, of to the screen right channel is where it should be just like in the 1988 theatrical release, so yes I’m kick myself on that one, stupid, though it will cost me a lot less to buy it again and shipping costs as well, so there you have in a nut shell.

Hold on to those laserdisc like gold dust, did you know DVD’s will last for around 20 years and CD for around 50 years, so how many DVD’s have you got in your collection before they start showing sine’s of giving up the ghost, sound's more like laser rot, oh sorry I’ll wash my mouth out with soap and water……

LOL

Ashley

PS, and to make matters worse 2001: a space odyssey, where in out world as all the dialogue panning gone to, I tell you guys straight those donkeys those tosses of rerecording mixers have got no clue, and I don’t what to hear it come form one as to why, if it ate broken then don’t fix it, well I think they dropped acid and where tripping of there tits when they remixed it, without the power or excitement, to anyone else they wouldn’t know whither there buying a donkey remix version, well the cats out of the bag now, be aware of donkey remixes….thrust me there’s a whole lot out there including "Superman the movie" though I only have it on VHS in Dolby stereo, I would like the widescreen laserdisc version, ok so it’s just Dolby stereo, I’m sure its got lots of dialogue panning in it somewhere…..

Donkeys make me [puke]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy

Time to stop taking those conciousness expanding substances and come back to Planet Reality

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall buying a few Criterion laserdisc sets for $125 (Brazil, etc.). They're now selling on ebay for $25 each. Mark - send me a list of what you have and I might be interested in picking them up next time I'm in SLC (hopefully Nov or Dec).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-15-2005 11:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hold on to those laserdisc like gold dust, did you know DVD’s will last for around 20 years and CD for around 50 years, so how many DVD’s have you got in your collection before they start showing sine’s of giving up the ghost, sound's more like laser rot, oh sorry I’ll wash my mouth out with soap and water……

Hello there Andy,

Actually I have quite a few CD's that date back to the dawn of CD's in the early 80's and they all play just fine. I have yet to experinece any rot of any type in CD's, DVD,s or laser disks which by the way are made somewhat like CD's. May be due to the dry air out here as nothing out here ever seems to get moldy, not even bread left out for three years! My lasers are inconvenient, my DVD's anc cd's are not and the DVD's offer a far superior picture in terms of color and resolution ins pite of the compression over the noisy rf based video from the lasers! Remember that 224 disks take up quite a bit of space and also remember that no ones house is generally equipped these days to handle something resembling LP's. As for the LP's I did save all my direct to disk albums but sent the other 400+ to the dump some years back.

Joe, I will make up a list of the LD's this weekend.

Mark

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 03:20 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Davids answer is the most rational way of selling them. Some of the Box sets are still worth some decent coin (especially some of the animation sets) You think you've got problems? I've got over 3000 Discs!! [Eek!] Don't ask how much I've invested in LDs' since 1978. [Roll Eyes] I'm keeping about 300 Discs and am going to Dump the rest. It's a matter of finding the time. [Big Grin]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 05:27 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Quote from Mark'
May be due to the dry air out here as nothing out here ever seems to get moldy, not even bread left out for three years!

oh man that's going to put me off eating bread that’s just great though, I can get over it.

click on this and you can see some of my laserdisc collection and much more...

LINKS DELETED BECAUSE #1 THEY DID NOT WORK AND #2 ALL PICTURES SHOULD BE UPLOADED TO THE SITE FOR DISPLAY ON THESE THREADS.

[ 09-16-2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Fred Georges
I've got over 3000 Discs!! Don't ask how much I've invested in LDs' since 1978. I'm keeping about 300 Discs and am going to Dump the rest. It's a matter of finding the time.

Geez Fred.... You must have a warehouse for all those!! Even my 220 some take up alot of space.....

quote: Andy Summers
LINKS DELETED BECAUSE #1 THEY DID NOT WORK AND #2 ALL PICTURES SHOULD BE UPLOADED TO THE SITE FOR DISPLAY ON THESE THREADS.

Hello there Andy,

Well, there you have it!

Mark

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark'

Guys I have tried lord knows how many of times, to directly link an image of my home cinema, least of all some laserdiscs, so how, how the dickens do I load an image one the image device doesn’t recognise my pass word, secondly there my images and when I try what looks like an easy way I keep getting this disgruntled git popping up ever time telling me its not good enough for him so please a little friendly help to enable me to get some images up, I can do it on 4 other forums sites this is the only one that makes it a pigs ear, I like to share with you ……

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-16-2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really, really easy. All you have to do is READ the instructions and rules.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Send it to me and I'll post it for you. What do you get when you upload your image to F-T?

Mark

6660 POSTS AND I STILL DON'T KNOW ABOUT NOT POSTING MY EMAIL ADDRESS WITHIN A POST

[ 09-16-2005, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: