Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Screw HDTV, I want my UHDTV! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Screw HDTV, I want my UHDTV!
Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-08-2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
4K TV for the home. The hell with cinemas! HA!

Read all about it HERE !

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2005 08:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm cannot compare.

I think in theater lingo this would be "7k" since they seem to measure horizontally instead of vertically. 35mm REALLY can't compare!

[ 09-08-2005, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Adam Heath
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Adam Heath   Email Adam Heath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like every time there's a new video game system coming out...it's hard to imagine something better.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-08-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
This is thr real reason why Golden Colorado doesn't want that HDTV tower... they want to wait for the larger and more obstructive UHDTV tower.....

Mark

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film has "been there, done that", and the systems have been in theatres for decades. Can anyone say 70mm film?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's just me, but I'd take uncompressed 1080p over compressed-to-hell 4k.

I've seen a number of HDTV demos and I have yet to see an over-the-air broadcast that I thought was impressive. The image looks great coming directly off an HDCAM tape, but the broadcast stuff just isn't that good, at least judging by what I've seen. On the other hand, it's possible that the demo sets weren't ever set up properly and may have just been showing an up-rezed NTSC image.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
Can anyone say 70mm film?
Apparently not anymore.

quote: Scott Norwood
it's possible that the demo sets weren't ever set up properly and may have just been showing an up-rezed NTSC image.
That is VERY possible, depending on what you were looking at. And even if it was a true 1080i broadcast, it is possible that you were watching NBC, which allocates some of its bandwidth to an extremely lame 24-hour 480i weather channel. Who cares about the weather? Weather is stupid. Anyway it wrongfully and immorally steals about 3 megabits and the HDTV is left with only 16 or fewer megabits. Also I think in a lot of cases it is a matter of "poorly compressed" rather than "overly compressed". Remember, TV stations are not known for high quality components and will buy the cheapest encoders they can get. Plus the HDTV signal gets recompressed many times from the source. TV stations don't know what they're doing yet with HDTV. Fools. Also, keep in mind that MPEG2 is not exactly a professional-quality codec. Why they chose MPEG2 for broadcast is beyond my logical reasoning. It is not beyond my moron reasoning, however. MPEG2 is retarded. I think I will get angry about it, as that seems to help.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had an HD set from the very beginning of HD here in Salt Lake City. The few weekly early broadcasts were plagued with pixilation problems and other odd artifacts especially in fast motion sports and the like. In the last two years though things HD have gotten ALOT better than they were back then. No more pixilation on fades or dissolves and an artifact in fast motion stuff with 720p is an oddity. At the start 720P looked and behaved better and had the least amount of artifacts while 1080i was the worst. Now its getting to the point that you can barely tell the difference between the two formats....1080i still has a little trouble with fast moving objects. For the most part they have made great strides in picture quality in both standards. This means either encoder upgrades have been made at the transmitter sites or the early Zenith encoders themselves have been changed out.... it seems like these guys have been doing their homework non-stop.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
John, Joe is right! RIP 70mm. [Frown]

Even 1570 will go TV... [Razz] [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-09-2005 09:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Why they chose MPEG2 for broadcast is beyond my logical reasoning.
Joe,
Thats easy... MPEG 2 was the top dog 15 years ago when they started designing the HD coding scheme.

MArk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-09-2005 09:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe
Apparently not anymore.
quote: Coot
John, Joe is right! RIP 70mm. [Frown]
I'd better not tell that to our 70mm slitting and perforating department, who are busier than ever making 70mm print film! Mostly for 15-perf 70mm systems, of course. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-09-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You miss the point, John. 1570 is not in every auditorium or even every theater or even every town. UHDTV can be. IMAX was not meant for real movies, anyway.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2005 10:00 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Ok John... tell me about it in 3-5 years from now. I HOPE you're singing the same tune then.

Since I'm a film guy, I'm sad about it all too ya know!

Oh, and stop deflecting the posts to your company's prognosis and supposed plans for 1570 when it was clearly implied that we were ALL talking about 570 for a 35mm film and/or UHDTV replacement. JEEZE!

And yes... tell those dedicated Kodak 70mm (oh and 35mm) Film Workers their days are numbered... I'm SURE Kodak has a great early retirement package for them... [beer] [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-10-2005 07:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
1570 is not in every auditorium or even every theater or even every town. UHDTV can be. IMAX was not meant for real movies, anyway.
Not if IMAX succeeds in their plan with more and more DMR blow-up to 15-perf 70mm prints.

quote: Phil "Coot" Hill
And yes... tell those dedicated Kodak 70mm (oh and 35mm) Film Workers their days are numbered... I'm SURE Kodak has a great early retirement package for them...
You make hay while the sun shines , and plant different crops for tomorrow. Kodak has many irons in the digital fire too. [Cool]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-10-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DMR blowups = bleh. I'd rather have higher quality to begin with. Did I mention that the 15/70 aspect ratio is unacceptable? It needs to be 35/70 or 40/70 to be worthy.

quote: John Pytlak
Kodak has many irons in the digital fire
How will Kodak's 1's and 0's be better than anyone elses 1's and 0's?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: