Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » (That squeaky sound effect)

Author Topic: (That squeaky sound effect)
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
That squeaky sound effect in Titanic chapter 4, at 15m: 47s in, it appears when the line is spoken “It is me, dear” and continues to play softly to the left front channel and pans slightly to the right the sound is played very softly….

Now watching Species II on DVD tonight that dame squeaky sound effect, now this is getting queer, the sound is played a little bit louder but only around 10db, 1hr:10m:30s, this is where the line is spoken “I mean, you talk all that noise if you want to.”

The squeaky sound effect continues, while the actors are still performing, but it’s that dame squeaky sound effect.

So has anyone else noticed it?

|  IP: Logged

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 07:10 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I guess no one has noticed it, mind you, you really need a good ear?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when you hear that sound, it means that your sound system is on the blink. Replace your entire entertainment system immediately. Spare no expense.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
No the squeaky sound effect in Titanic and Species 2?

Well not totally squeaky, it’s got atmospherically ambiance as well, it’s a totally cool sound effect.

But have you got the right stuff in your hearing, to pick out the softest sound effect and if so have you noticed this sound effect, popping up in two films around the same time 1997.

Sound effects editors really like to try something new sometimes, but it’s not the only sound that has sprung up there are thousands.

“The Wilhelm Scream” is probably the most popular one?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-11-2005 12:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell would I watch Species 2?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 01:08 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear I've been meaning to check the movie (yes, I actually have this overrated movie on DVD) since this was posted, but just haven't had time. There's tons of "stock" sound effects that I've heard in different movies though.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesse

The squeaky sound effect is easy to spot with the chapter and the time count giving in the above, I don’t what to make this into a crusade its just I’ve got this memory for sound?

So if you have the two above mentioned films form 1997 Titanic and Species II, just flip though them to the parts that I have described, and maybe relax with afterwards with some Species II playing in fall six-track Dolby with the centre surround on it adds more mindless fun to the film.

And if you do some re-plugging of the front configuration the upper centre channel adds more of filling in the hole, by adding on a second Dolby Pro-logic processor to the left & right with the surround matrix used for the additional surround loudspeakers with the split-surrounds this works well when the opening credits on “A view to A Kill” starts playing the theme with just the left & right front playing, so if you can make heads & tails of all this, then if not I’ll try and explain later….

Happy listening…

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 06:00 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Make that, three films now believe it or not “Hollow Man” chapter 20 / 1hr 18min 24sec and the squeaky sound effect comes in with the spoken word “He knew that his career would be over and his only way out… is to make sure no one knows what he is or what he’s done.”

The squeaky sound effect is placed on the fronts same panning, has with the others.

And the squeaky sound effect continuous for a few more seconds, well this is now personal though I’m sure it’s a new effect from 1997 I’m going to check though the DVDs well near to 700 hundred titles makes it rather difficult, but sound is my pet love I’ll keep you guys posted on the squeaky sound effect?

[Razz] [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-11-2005 06:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you only watch crappy movies?

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you what know that, Joe it’s the sound mostly and as a former projectionist I’ve always had the ear for sound foremost for many years.

And what do you like about motion picture soundtracks, remember film is original and TV is not?

So has I sit hear typing to you as well as writing my script for a disaster film.

I wonder what you’re up too, is it night –time over where you are?

And have you heard the squeaky sound effect as well?

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in the hell is "The Wilhelm Scream?" Was that from Hogan's Heroes?

Seriously, though, is that the scream I always hear in every Lucas movie. I have heard that same scream in that old giant mutant movie "Them!" It must be old as the hills.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ziyue.com/movies/usa/2000/HollowMan/hol7.jpg

Robert

You bet it is as old as the hills, and I have no clue as to why sound effects editors continue to still use that sound effect?

By the way Joe, what’s you home cinema like, fully Dolby digital with centre back surround and the upper centre channel, that is a forth front channel that works effectively and the middle side surround that is derived from the front mix.

With EQ applied to these channels and yes the squeaky sound effect is still placed up front to the mains left and right.

Do you remember that Coca-Cola advertisement the one with the polo bear well I think that sound they used in the ad is also in “Hollow Man” with the gorilla called Isabelle Two?

Well at the moment I’m running “Hollow Man” for the second time tonight, as British TV sucks from the opening to the end credits, what end credits they butcher the film like nobody’s business….

Update-

Well at the moment I’m running “Hollow Man” for the second time tonight, as British TV sucks from the opening to the end credits, what end credits they butcher the film like nobody’s business….

Make that four times now while typing hear tonight and running “Hollow Man” for the second time that squeaky sound effect, has popped up again chapter 11 / 00Hr 39min 42sec from the spoken line “Everything’s normal.” The squeaky sound effect continues, what is the actual name for it as it would be a real bugger to find out.

Well I’ll just call it the squeaky sound effect?

So that’s three films now and four times I’ve heard it twice in “Hollow Man.”

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: