Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "Beat 'em to Death" Angel Dokuro-chan

Author Topic: "Beat 'em to Death" Angel Dokuro-chan
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-04-2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
(Little Skull - the "Beat 'em to Death" Angel)

Just received the first two discs of this 5-disc set from a friend in Japan. This short anime series ran on late-night satellite TV over there and is now coming out on R2 DVD. Wonder if anyone stateside would take a chance on releasing it here? How to describe this? Let's see...

[SPOILER ALERT!]

A bloody and perverted yet heart-warming junior high school cartoon romance comedy featuring:

A pair of cute angels named Dokuro ("Skull") and Sabbat.

A large spiked metal bat named Excalibolg.

Frequent gory deaths of the protagonist below via said bat featuring splattering blood, brains, and eyeballs, immediately followed by angelic resurrections.

A boy named Sakura (normally a girl's name)...

with a lolicon (Lolita complex)...

who will accidently discover the secret of immortality...

unless he is assassinated by one of these time-traveling angels...

who are on a mission from God.

But wait! There's more!

A perverted and cross-dressing school teacher.

Classroom bullying.

Fanservice (panty shots and breasteseseseseses).

Kafka quotes.

Cameos by George Bush, Kim Jong Il, Michael Jackson, Gregor Samsa, and Commodore Matthew Perry.

Kama Sutra pillow cases.

A super-powered electric cattle prod named Durandal.

Electrocution.

Angel halos as sharp as samurai swords.

Books in the middle school library like "Caligula", "Freud for Kids", and "Slave Dog of Flanders".

Schoolyard romance.

Suicide.

Torture.

A modern movie theater with curtains (now we know this is a fantasy).

Homelessness.

Explosive diarrhea.

WTF, over?!? I am not making this up. This has to be the sickest most whacked shit I've seen come out of Japan in a long time. It's like a half-hour of Itchy & Scratchy on crystal meth, bludgeoning to a bloody pulp every anime cliché, trope, and stereotype.

And I loved it.

Yes, I admit I am one sick duck. Pardon me while I go look for my jaw, and my ass. They both fell off around here somewhere.

[ 09-15-2005, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone for sending a copy to Pat Robertson?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-27-2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be fun to watch. [evil]

Another show that would be fun to watch his reaction to would be Neon Genesis Evangelion with its visions of bizarre apocalyptic angels and the notion of an artificially induced Rapture. But that's another review.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: