Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Was there a home VTR before Beta? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Was there a home VTR before Beta?
Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask this question because of the film "Auto-Focus," wherein the prototype VTRs depicted are largely cumbersome and always with a B&W picture. Later in the film, the arrival of Beta machines are heralded as the first CONSUMER VTRs. My memory isn't the best, so I would like to know if anyone out there can answer this question: did Sears sell a large console VTR prior to the release of Beta which could play and record in color? I believe it was a high-ticket item (i.e., not many sold due to the cost). Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-21-2005 09:47 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GE had a 1" B&W reel-to-reel helical tape format back in the late '60s. There was also the EIAJ 1/2" B&W reel-to-reel helical tape format that many manufacturers supported. Akai had a 1/4" color reel-to-reel helical format as well.

Don't know about your Sears unit. I suppose any of these could be used at home, though I don't think they were marketed that way. Most of these were pitched towards educational and industrial use.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
There was also the EIAJ 1/2" B&W reel-to-reel helical tape format that many manufacturers supported.
Like these . . .

The Sears console machine was based on the awful Cartrivision system that used a one-time-play-only cartridge for playback of rental movies. Unfortunatly, it seems all the movie cartridges had a strange tendency to rot. Another triumph of technology (but I'll bet next week's check that someone here has a complete working machine and a large collection of still-viewable tapes).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-21-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cartrivision used something called "Skip field" technology which, of course, was space-age. Does this mean it recorded and played back at 240p and disregarded every other field?

Also, if Cartrivision was one-time-play-only then there is no way that anyone could still have working tapes since they can only be played one time. Also the page you linked to says they could record.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2005 08:18 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cartrivision could record on blank tapes. But as I mentioned, rental movie tapes were playback only. They were also non-rewindable, they had an (eaisly defeatable) internal ratchet system similar to an NAB audio cartridge that prevented repeat viewing.

More on skip-field video and Cartrivision. (Click on the 'hardware/ software' link).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first "consumer" VTR was Cartrivision, a big and bulky home unit. Akia in the late 1960's introduced a small portable camera/recorder package, first in B&W and later color.

Of course, 3/4" U-matic VCR machines existed from the early 1970's, and while not specifically marketed toward consumers, they were not significantly more expensive then the first generation of Beta machines and where widely used by consumers.

As far as portability goes, all these early formats used a seperate camera/portable recorder. The first true camcorders did not appear until the Sony introduced 8mm and JVC responsed with VHS-C. Full size VHS camcorders soon followed.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've still got a working Sony VO-1600 3/4" consumer machine with a built-in tuner! Built in 1972. The camera is long-gone. It was large... weighed about 10 pounds.

Sometimes, I have to use this Sony. Some tapes that it recorded back in 1975 won't play on anything else.

In case you are wondering, I'm attempting to dupe everything that I have on 3/4" to VHS... for now.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-22-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the movie "Auto-Focus" they used a 3/4" U-matic VCR.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-22-2005 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Pixelvision? Did that se skip-field?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 2 Cartrivision machines now, but neither are up to the task of actually getting a picture on the screen. Not sure what the exact problem is, but hoping I can eventually salvage one working unit out of the two. I've got a few rental tapes that can only be rewound with a special machine the rental stores had, though the tapes seem to have been taken apart to defeat that mechanism, and I've got one home-recorded tape that is supposedly a live recording of President Nixon's resignation. We'll just have to see how well the tapes have actually held up. I've got a few Beta tapes going back to 1977 that look like they were recorded yesterday though. (It took me until 1985 to convince my parents to get a VCR, though at least it was one of the first Hi-Fi models that could record broadcast stereo. I've been buying up all the older tapes I can find at the flea markets and thrift stores though and have found some treasures.)
Another odd 70s video format was Quasar's Great Time Machine, which used tapes bigger than VHS, circa 1976. I have a machine but no tapes, so I don't know if it works. There was a format from Sanyo called V-Cord that used smaller tapes that were shaped like 8-tracks but had a supply and take-up reel inside next to each other. I found some unused blanks once so I bought one to open up and one to keep sealed, never seen a machine though- there was one on Ebay a couple months ago but it went for more than I could afford to pay.
BTW anyone here wanna trade DVDs of old (pre-1980) TV recordings with commercials? I've been transferring all the old stuff I've found with my Philips DVD recorder, then duplicating them on my computer. I've got one disc put together with TV station sign-offs, mostly from Sacramento in the mid-80s but I've got one for KABC in 1978 and a CBS station in Roswell, NM too. Although I despise what cable TV has become now, I've also put together a disc with older movie intros and previews from HBO, Showtime and a number of defunct pay channels such as MovieVision and The Z Channel, which you had to rent a microwave antenna and receiver to get.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago Ampex tried to market a 1" B&W VTR (model 6000) to consumers. I remember seeing them in several stores, but it was large and heavy, and hard to work, so it did not sell. Then Sony tried to sell a 1/2" B&W pre EIAJ that did skip field scanning (in this case it recorded every other field, and then played each recorded field back twice), it did not sell well either. When the EIAJ models came out, they sold the old skip field units out at half price. I talked my parents into getting me one for Christmas. I remember telling friends that I had a video recorder. They would look at me strangely, and ask "what can you do with that?" I would explane that I can time shift showes that are on when I am not going to be home, if there are two showes on at the same time that I want to watch, I can watch one, and tape the other to watch later, and I can tape my favorit showes, and movies, and watch them any time I wanted to. About this time they would be asking where they could get one of these things. I remember thinking that if someone could make an easy to use VTR, at a price people could afford, they could sell a lot of them.

Mark, I enjoyed to site with all the old VTRs on it. It's nice to know there is someone out there that has even more old strange VTRs laying around than I do.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 01:07 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.labguysworld.com/VideoFiles.htm

There's a video file of an instore demo tape for the Cartrivision system from 1972. Must have been done by the same people who did the "Mr. Realistic" quadraphonic demo tape for Radio Shack.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-28-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More weird, wonderful and obsolete VT formats...

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 09:45 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An interesting thread, I did some ressearch into this and discovered that not only was Tweety Bird colored PINK in 1942 cartoons but it was in 1956 The first practical videotape recorder (VTR) was developed by the AMPEX Corporation in 1951.

The first commercially-feasible ones (with 2 inch tape reels) were sold for $50,000 in 1956.

1963 Ampex began to offer its first consumer version of a videotape recorder, sold through the Neiman-Marcus Christmas catalogue for $30,000 - a non consumer-friendly price.

1964 Sony began marketing the first reel-to-reel VTR designed specifically for home use in 1964.

1967 Sony introduced a portable (but bulky), expensive, out-of-studio video camera system (or video tape recorder - VTR) called the Portapak -- it inaugurated the modern era of video.

1969 Sony introduced a new device -- the videocassette recorder (VCR).

1972 The AVCO Cartrivision system (for CARTRIdige teleVISION) was a combination receiver / recorder / playback unit. It was also the first videocassette recorder to have pre-recorded tapes of popular movies (from Columbia Pictures) for sale and rental -- three years before Sony's Betamax VCR system emerged into the market. However, the company went out of business a year later.

1972 Sony introduced the U-Matic line of video cassette recorders.

1975 The Sony Corporation introduced the 1/2 inch Betamax video format and videocassette recorder (VCR) for consumer home use, with the capability of recording up to one hour.

1976 JVC introduced the VHS (video home system) 1/2 inch video format to compete with Sony's Betamax system. In 1977, RCA began marketing the first VCRs in the United States based on JVC's system, capable of recording up to four hours. By now, Japanese manufacturers had taken over the VCR market.

and there we have it ............ i still can't believe tweety was pink!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one right before the VHS/Beta machines. It was called something like "The Great American Movie Machine" or something weird like that. It had proprietary tapes that I think I remember looking like an 8 track tape, and was about the size of the original VHS decks. It was not around long. I finally bought one of the first RCA VHS machines with mechanical push buttons (levers) Tapes were very hard to find and were $25 each. I still have it in the attic and I think it still works (as good as it ever did)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: