Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Is a HDMI signal from your dvd player better than component or RGB? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is a HDMI signal from your dvd player better than component or RGB?
Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2005 01:49 PM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently thinking of buying a video projector to my dvd player. The thing is that my dvd player (Sony DVP NS-900V) is a few years old. It does have component and RGB signal out, not a progressive signal though. The other day I tested a few projectors and in the $4000 dollar range. A found myself liking a new Sony LCD projector. The model Sony VPL-HS50.

The seller insisted that a HDMI signal was a must here to get the full performance of the projector.

Any of you guys or girls out there which have any experience with a HDMI signal in comparison to a component or RGB?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any experience with video projectors, but for a DVD player, component is just fine. Any DVD player that has an HDMI output will upscale the 480p signal o 1080i or 720p. Upscaling isn't true HD and really doesn't do much, if anything, to make the picture look better. Just get a good DVD player with component and progressive scan. Then go back and kick the salesman in the balls. He just wants to sell you and HDMI cable. I think an HDMI cable still costs several hundred dollars, even though it's JUST A CABLE and the signal that goes through it is digital, thus it does not matter if it has great shielding or whatnot. The signal is either there or it is not. They should be no more than $20, max.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-02-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at this DVD player.
It scales to various resolutions, the image quality is excellent, and what's best, it does not have the HDCP feature, a copy protection which requires a handshake between the player and the playback device. This prevents you from playing content on any playback device without HDCP. All other DVD players capable of outputting 720p and higher that I looked into had HDCP.
We use this player when we play alternatice content from DVD on our digital projectors. It is also used in many studio and postproduction facilities.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2005 05:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's DVI, not HDMI. He'd need a cable AND a converter.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2005 06:05 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like that Sony projector has DVI input as well as HDMI.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-02-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, but a DVI to HDMI adapter is inexpensive (less than $40), and the D2 player can do all the rest. The video signal stays in the digital domain. Also, other upscaling DVD players with DVI will not be useable with adapters because of HDCP.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-02-2005 07:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "high-end" reviews I've read have claimed that component video is inferior to DVI/HDMI. Seems like that would apply to a DVD player as well as other sources. Digital is always better. Analog is the devil's spawn.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2005 07:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes indeed. I hate the fact that I myself am analog. Oh well. Anyway for 480p video component is just fine. I don't know why upscaling DVD players don't send out the HD signal via the component outputs. Component could easily do HD (and I've seen it and it looks freakin' great). I guess somebody is MORE LIKELY to pirate HD video than 480p video which is easily distributable over the internet, far moreso than HD. I hope everyone at the MPAA catches on fire for no logical reason all at once.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-02-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only advantage I can see in using HDMI cables is they can carry both audio and video data. But the "5C" HDCP thing kinda sucks ass.

It's been awhile since I have checked out specifications on items like DVD players (particularly DVD-A/SACD capable units). Is it turning into a real trend to include HDMI output on DVD players? If so, are there any DVD-A/SACD players using HDMI to output high resolution surround audio?

That's been the deal breaker for me to buy any DVD-A/SACD type player. I want to be able to send a digital signal to a receiver to allow the receiver to decode the MLP or DSD bitstream. Firewire could handle the bandwidth, but only a few extremely expensive models incorporated IEEE-1394 outputs for such audio.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-02-2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it is turning into a trend, whether the quality really is better or only imaginary. The more devices that support the protocol, the cheaper those freakin' cables will become.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 02:47 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD player that is linked to in this thread (the Bravo D2) is a good player, but old. They are coming out with the D3 this summer and it will be a HDMI player instead of DVI and also is SUPPOSED to be able to play true HD. From what I'm told it will play the WMV-HD discs that came with movies like T2 Extreme edition. It would play at a true 1080i, not sure if HDMI is required for that or not. Most of the other upconverting DVD players are mostly gimmick. They show a very marginal improvement on fixed pixel displays. A high quality player using component output can blow away most of these cheap ass upconverting players. My 2 cents.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-03-2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info. That is going to be interesting. Since the manufacturer is not far from where we are, maybe I can borrow a unit for a field test. There is nothing more effective to check image quality than to blow it up all over the big screen. Which we did with a lot of alternative content. BTW, there was no visible difference whether we hooked up the units with component or DVI. But maybe the "high-end reviewers" can see a difference.

Do you have a link with info about the D3? I didn't see anything on the manufacturer website.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when your dealing with DVD (480p), component is fine and I doubt you will notice a difference with DVI or HDMI. When dealing with HD signals on larger TVs or Projector (say more than 43in.) you will notice a difference using DVI/HDMI. HDMI, in theory, is cool b/c it handles digital video/sound, but most TVs and Receivers don't handle the sound yet. I've also heard that Firewire may replace HDMI anyways because it can handle Digital Video/Sound in both directions at the same time.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-03-2005 07:36 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We showed true 720p content both via components and DVI on a 35 ft screen with our Barco DP50, and I blind-tested several sets of highly trained eyes, they couldn't tell the difference. Probably the same thing as with Dolby and DTS, an emormous gaping difference - except for in a blind test situation.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-03-2005 11:35 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DVI seems like an ill-conceived "standard" for home theater use from the get-go. Not having the video and sound carried over the same interface can be a major nuisance.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: