Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » OMG they showed Star Warz 2 in HD on TV 2nite LOL! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: OMG they showed Star Warz 2 in HD on TV 2nite LOL!
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I ever watch Fox is when MadTV comes on. During one of the commercials (which I mute) I saw that they were showing Episode 2 tonight. I figured they'd be broadcasting it in HDTV 720p. I decided to check out about 10 or 15 minutes worth, and it is indeed cropped 720p (sides are cut off, aspect is limited to 16:9). Amazingly, it really doesn't look much, if any better than the DVD. Since it is being broadcast, that means there are more noticeable artifacts since the broadcast industry is no longer "professional" in regards to their presentation standards. But the 5.1 Dolby Digital EX sounded the same as the DVD... I think. Actually I don't remember hearing any left surround.

At least they cut out Anakin's "I don't like sand" shlock.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-22-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture looks like it's barely DVD quality. The sound is great.

No FOX logo in the corner though. The power of George!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Jesse Skeen must have watched that!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-23-2005 12:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched about 45 mins or so of it last night. There is NO WAY that was HD. There were very obvious digital artifacts that usually aren't seen even in DVDs, including posterization. The best that can be said about the image is it was 16:9 (and didn't have the FOX bug), and that's not saying much because George likes to use the entire scope frame and it was very obvious that stuff was being cropped. [thumbsdown]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-23-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched a few minutes of it too, on good ol' SD 4:3 in stereo no less.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 51" HDTV and I tuned into the HD channel of Fox. The commercials were in 4:3 but the movie took up the entire screen. I agree though that it wasn't in HD. I commented to my wife several times that the quality wasn't that great. I figured with George being so adamant about picture quality that it would for sure be in HD.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 05:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that they just ran the DVD so the source material wasn't HD even though the channel was. I think they just up-res the source material and send it out.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-23-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They would have had to have a special DVD without letterbox bars yet still 16:9.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 06:06 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
They would have had to have a special DVD without letterbox bars yet still 16:9.

Why would they need a special DVD? My Mitsubishi TV can "expand" and letterboxed DVD I play to fill the screen and crop the sides. I never do it, but I've played around with it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I don't get about the 16:9 thing on dvds (for scope films that is), they're cropped when you watch them 16:9 on your widescreen tv right? How much of a difference quality wise is there watching a dvd in 16:9 vs watching it normally with the black bars?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2005 07:49 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the same screen width (not diagonal), it would be the exact same. I guess it looks a little better because it has smaller lines so you aren't "wasting" as much screen area.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-23-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
scope films are still letterboxed on 16:9 TVs, just less so.

There is still much more vertical resolution with an anamorphic DVD than there is when you watch it letterboxed on a 4:3 set.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 06:47 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a little disappointed when I got my widescreen tv and tried to watch a widescreen dvd and it still had black bars. Why do they do this?

By the way when are the HD-DVD's coming out?

John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 3 possibilities that come to mind offhand.

a) Your DVD player is set up improperly, refer to the instruction manual and make sure it's set properly for your widescreen TV.

b) You were watching a 'Scope movie, in which case it should still have black bars (they'll just be smaller black bars)

c) The transfer on your DVD is non-anamorphic (Either done for LaserDisc, or from one of those cheap-ass companies like MTI) in which case you can either set your TV so it displays the picture with black on all four sides, or zoom in, which will degrade the perceived image quality.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-24-2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Joshie, your TV ain't be as wide as a scope movie screen yo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: