Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Playstation 3 supports 1080p

Author Topic: Playstation 3 supports 1080p
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-17-2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The upcoming Playstation 3 game system will offer better visuals than any DLP system. Or at least comparable. It has dual 1080p output (via dual HDMI slots) to outdo any single DLP or Kodak projector! You movie people may think you are awesome with Star Wars 3 shot in 1080p, but that's only one screen. The PS3 can do 2 1080p screens simultaneous in real time at 60 frames per second. I bet you all feel like you're in the wrong industry now. I recommend suicide. But first give me your money.

Full specs as revealed at the E3:

CPU Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for
redundancy
total floating point
performance: 218 GFLOPS
GPU RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point
performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2
channels
Multi-way programmable parallel
floating point shader
pipelines
Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-
base processing)
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s
(read)
SB 2.5GB/s (write) +
2.5GB/s (read)
System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS
Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
Controller Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP )
Network (over IP)
AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p,
1080i, 1080p
HDMI HDMI out x 2
Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio DIGITAL OUT
(OPTICAL) x 1
Disc media CD PlayStation CD-ROM
*read only PlayStation 2 CD-ROM
CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD SACD Hybrid (CD
layer), SACD HD
DualDisc DualDisc (audio
side), DualDisc
(DVD side)
DVD PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PLAYSTATION 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R,
DVD-RW, DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION 3 BD-ROM
BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R,
BD-RE

What are your thoughts on this highly controversial subject?

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-17-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony is claiming its PS3, with its 9-core "cell" processor and 256MB nVidia GPU, will be capable of 2 trillion floating point operations per second. 2 "teraflops". I can remember back in the early 1990s when 1 teraflop was a holy grail of super computing and that it took a huge Thinking Machines sectional computer to do it.

I guess we'll see the actual results on that. XBox360 isn't claiming quite that level of teraflop performance. Its three custom IBM PowerPC 3.2GHz cores and 512MB GDDR3 ATI graphics system will be capable of at least 1 teraflop.

I'm hoping for a couple things to happen with these next gen consoles. The movie industry and computer industry both need a nightmarish reality check courtesy of these devices.

Like Joe, I hope this gives Hollywood a rude kick in the ass. The Hollywood suits need to worry about making some decent movies rather than find ways how to punish consumers via their "anti-piracy" crusades.
[fu]

Video games have the advantage of letting the customer be a part of the entertainment experience rather than just passively watching it. That's a GIANT advantage when you have some dumbassed shitball flick that is nothing but explosions and visual effects. Screw it. That just gets boring after awhile. Video games are becoming a lot more entertaining for experiencing that kind of mindless bombastic engery. You at least get to take part in causing the explosions and other mayhem.

With that being said, it would only seem logical for the movie studios to kind of get back to the basics, like um, y'know....making a decent movie with intelligent writing, good acting, etc. They need to get away from making all these sequels of shitty movies that should have never been made much less have a sequel. The TV adaptations into movies have been old hat for many years (yet the suits think they're going to spoon feed us a shit load of them this summer). Even the superhero film craze is getting long in the tooth. How about something original for once!?

Onto the computer industry.

Let's face it. The PC gaming industry is one giant scam. The games are expensive and don't work worth a shit unless you own a new, tricked out, way too expensive gaming box. I don't know about everyone else, but money has been kind of tight lately. If I'm going to drop $5000 on a computer system it needs to be something that makes me money. Y'know, "return on investment." I don't know anyone anywhere who gets paid to play video games. If I have to blow $5000 on a new computer system, I think I would be better off to buy a new dual CPU PowerMac system with Apple's Production Suite loaded (along with Adobe After Effects and the Adobe Creative Suite 2 package). I'll at least be making some money using that setup rather than wasting a whole shitload of time.

Still, video games are fun. But I just can't justify spending as much as $600 on a new graphics card (or $1200 for two in a SLI setup) when it looks like I'm going to get just as much performance from a PS3 or XBox360 for a much lower, far more reasonable price.

I hope the PS3 and XBox360 shake things up so bad on the personal computer market that it finally kicks Intel and others so hard in the ass that they have to abandon the foot-dragging speed of their product cycles. IMHO, personal computer technology is probably 10 years behind where it should be. Symmetric multiprocessing computers should have become ubiquitous a decade ago. With items like these next gen consoles, that issue may finally be forced into reality.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: