Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Exodus (1960)

Author Topic: Exodus (1960)
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just purchased this one. Had never seen the film at all, but have heard the theme music countless times done by the likes of Lawrence Welk, Mantovani, etc. The original version of the theme used in the movie is the best, imho.

The print quality is top-notch. Very few distractions except at a reel-change or two. The titles tell me that it was filmed on location in Panavision 70. If I am not mistaken, this film looks like 70mm. Can anybody tell me the history of this transfer?

The 5.1 stereo is awesome. The sound follows the action all around the room. There are only a couple of places, like when Paul Newman is addressing the people of the ship. The center channel all but disappears, and it is difficult to understand. I believe that this is all in one reel of the film.

Looking at the film, the only place that I notice any negative fade is in dark scenes toward the middle of the film. The black backgrounds shift slightly, but is not a big distraction.

We used to run this film in 16mm on TV back in the day. I'm glad I never tried to watch it that way.

I won't critique the action, or the acting. Its a handsome production, and is something to be proud of.

Only real DVD gripe: WHY the LOUD MGM logo? Its louder than any part of the film!!!

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Premminger's film SUCKS! He basically butchered Uris's book and totally ruined much of the meaning behind the origonal story! I would suggest that you read the book to see just what I mean.

In a histrical sense, Uris attempted to narrorate the birth of Isreal, from the 1880's through approximately the early/mid mid-1950's. And he also tried to explain the roots of the Arab-Israeli conflict, and England's role in aggravating the situation.

Le Affair Exodus 1947 DID NOT occur as Uris described in his book. Over the years, those Israelis who were actually involved with the actual affair have had no problem publically stating that they despse Uris's book for it's complete lack of historical accuracy regarding this event.

While I have always enjoyed Paul Newman and Eva Marie Saint, their acting, probably a result of Premminger's direction, seems to be a bit "sappy".

Tao Yue
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Tao Yue   Author's Homepage   Email Tao Yue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of information are you looking for about the transfer that isn't available from viewing the film? The fact that the distractions come "at a reel-change or two" seems to indicate a projection print of some sort. It's suboptimal but not surprising for a bare-bones bargain DVD. The changeover cues (oval or round) would indicate whether the transfer was made from a 35 reduction or a 70 element.

The slapped-on MGM logo is common to all their DVDs. Unfortunately it's optimized for today's drown-out-your-ears mixes, and will be overly loud when compared to an older mix that has some dynamic range.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD of EXODUS is from a 35mm source. The sound is only 2.0 stereo.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 07:02 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read the book. I will.

There are no cues on the print used for the transfer. Would I miss them?

The principal actors make me think of the word 'sappy.'

The stereo on this print often starts in the back speakers, comes around to the left or right, and action appears on the screen with it. The disc is marked Dolby surround 5.1.

Damn loud MGM logo.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My DVD copy of EXODUS is marked (on the back of the box) as only being "Stereo Surround." While mislabeling sometimes occurs, I confirmed it in my DVD player and amplifier. There is only one soundtrack, and my Pioneer DVD player identifies it as 2/1 and my Denon receiver is using Dolby Pro-Logic to decode it.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 06:29 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How embarassing!

I aquired some reading glasses last night. I've gotten away with wearing no glasses since 1982, and this is an event.

My DVD is also like Paul says. I honestly thought it was 5.1. My DVD player confirmed the 2.0 sound.

I still like the surround with this film.

Egg on my face. [Embarrassed]

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exodus was more typical garbage from M-G-M home video. The 1960 Oneg should be totally faded, which leaves them with 35mm dupes and print sources only.

IMHO, not a product of the quality one might expect from the talents involved. One of the most distressing points appears to be virtually every actor working in his or her own "style."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: