Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Real HD TV....finally

Author Topic: Real HD TV....finally
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the first true (native) HD display units for the home.
A Samsung LT-P468W 46" LCD that has a real 1920 x 1080P display

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/LCD/ltp468w.asp

I've heard there is another unit out there, but I haven't found it yet.

I've seen street prices at around $5000-5500 for the Samsung

|  IP: Logged

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend on mine presently in Eastern Japan has stated that he noticed three seperate models which are being offered in that market. Given their broadcast signals and also the difference in voltages it would be unlikely that they'd work here.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 07:24 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do LCD HD-TVs have the same dead pixel problems that plague LCD computer monitors, where a couple of stuck (white, black, or even pink) pixels are common even in new monitors? I'm assuming they do. Samsung recently announced a "no dead pixel" policy for their pc line-up... I wonder if the same applies to this monster?!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 07:39 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest issue of The Perfect Vision says there's a bunch of true 1920x1080 displays coming out starting this spring. Sony had one of the first, priced at a whopping $10K or something like that.

Yes, LCD TVs have the dead pixel issue. One of the first rear-projection LCD models I saw on display at Circuit City (which happened to be a Sony) had a pixel stuck on. Once I spotted it, I couldn't NOT look at it. Supposedly manufacturing techniques have improved to the point where dead pixels aren't the problem they used to be. Anyway there's NO WAY IN HELL that anyone should have to put up with ANY dead pixels after shelling out thousands of $$ for HDTV.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm wanting to see is a plasma display with the same rez. It's got to be on the heels of the LCDs. I don't think I'd want dead or stuck pixels either.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 02-28-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has also been recently reported that Texas Instruments' 1920x1080 DLP chip is ready for mass production.

It's expected that high-end 1080p DLP projectors will start appearing on the market next year.

I'm actually already watching HDTV broadcasts letterboxed on my old 27-inch Magnavox, thanks to a DirecTV HDTV tuner, largely for the benefit of the occasional 5.1 Dolby broadcast. That was pretty cool during Fox football broadcasts this past season.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-03-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

How does the HD look down converted to 525 NTSC? Do you notice many artifacts?

Mark

Sam Graham

- posted 03-04-2005 09:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not so much letterboxed, but definitely so if I switch to standard image size where the left and right side are cropped off. Otherwise, about all you notice at all compared to analog is an improvement in sharpness and color depth, but I attribute most of that to new equipment on the HD side and the raw transmitter feed vs. the DTV-compressed delivered counterparts.

The audio is the key improvement for me, even if it's not a 5.1 broadcast. Our CBS affiliate, which can't yet pass 5.1 (new board is on the way though), has some buzzing and such on their standard channel that is completely gone on the HD side. And our Fox affiliate, which broadcasts in mono via a compression limiter that makes their dead spots sound like a gasp for breath, is passing the Fox HD feed directly at the transmitter.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS has some decent 5.1, but they have yet to learn to do it as well as Fox does it. So far they seem to be the best. My NBC affiliate is not in 5.1. Does anyone get NBC in 5.1 or do they have yet to conform? I also hate NBC's stupid weather channel which takes bandwidth from the HD signal, making artifacting even worse!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-05-2005 10:00 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When The Tonight Show started taping in HD there was no way to record a 5.1 mix onto D5HD tape, so they continued to mix in good ol' Dolby Stereo. Don't know if they've since come up with a way to do 5.1 on that show. Also don't know if any other NBC video-originated shows are airing in 5.1. The sports guys seem to be leading the way on this.

CBS will switch The Late Show to HD production later this year.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the buzz about "1080p" resolution displays a couple months ago, during the Winter CES show in Las Vegas. All I can say is, "it's about damned time!"

Still, I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon. I'll wait for maybe another year or two before replacing my 32" RCA TV set. There's more important purchases in my way of buying an HD set, such as a notebook computer, an Adobe Studio CS2 upgrade, a new desktop PC (or perhaps even a Mac) and also some new tires for my truck. I also want to be sure that by the time I'm ready to purchase an HDTV most, if not all, of the product offered will feature native 1080 X 1920 pixel displays. Anything less is just stupid.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, why not get an Infocus or Christie DLP projector with a 600x800 fixed pixel resolution? It's just as good.. [Roll Eyes]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SONY has a new line (SXRD) soon to be out. Now word on the prices, but looks very promising.

http://www.qualia.sony.us/qualia_main.cgi

Sam Graham

- posted 03-06-2005 08:16 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
CBS has some decent 5.1, but they have yet to learn to do it as well as Fox does it. So far they seem to be the best. My NBC affiliate is not in 5.1. Does anyone get NBC in 5.1 or do they have yet to conform?
My NBC is broadcasting one of the Law & Order shows right now in 5.1. Non 5.1 NBC content (commercials and programs not broadcasting in 5.1) automatically kick to matrix surround. Local inserts kick to Dolby Digital 2.0.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of HD here in Salt Lake City, CBS, ABC, NBC, two PBS Channels, Warner Bros, Fox and just about all of it looks alot better than NTSC, even the stuff bumped up from NTCS looks better. The sound varies but all are passable. The Tonight show looks and sounds really good. By the time they get HD for Letterman he will have retired! All in all it can only get better as time goes on.....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: