Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Tivo and stuff (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tivo and stuff
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-15-2005 07:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Who here is in the know of the various Tivo-type products out there? Some basic questions.

I currently have DirecTV (not HD, just regular rez). I wouldn't be opposed to switching to Dish if they have better options.

*If I "record" a show on the PVR, will it be recorded using the same compression that DirecTV is encoding in, or will it have to re-encode thus losing quality?

*Is there a model PVR out there that if I say "record this show" will AUTOMATICALLY fire it up a minute or two early and record for a minute or two later? Or do I have to TELL it to do that every time?

*Can I drop a 120 or 200 gig drive in one of those things, or is there more to extending the capture time?

*Can the PVRs change the channel on the satellite receiver?

*Does anyone know what the codec being used by DirecTV and Dish actually is?

*What is the state of HD recording? Has Jack Valenti's gang royally fucked things up for everyone yet, or can I actually record an HD broadcast? I also have a D-VHS deck (JVC 30000)

*Any advice on HD equipment? (Not worried about projectors/monitors, just satellite/recording equipment.)

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-15-2005 08:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*You can only record HD with an HD-Tivo. From what I have read, it just stores the data it receives over the air straight onto the disc with no decode/re-encode (that would be incredibly retarded, and if any device does that, the designers should be shot dead along with their families). HD broadcast is about 19.5 megabits per second (a little over 2 megabytes). Some channels have digital SD subchannels which can eat up some of that bandwidth, and you'll be seeing more compression than usual when they do that. NBC is a HUGE offender in this area, as they have an SD weather channel that nobody cares about that eats up some of their HD bandwidth. Also things like cable and satellite will usually recompress from the 19.5 megabits to something less, so the picture uality with these devices are far worse than over the air HD, which can be pretty bad if anything moves. Just as long as nothing moves, it looks good.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 09:23 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I (when I lived in the UK) had a UK TiVo, and know some stuff about them. Things may have changed since then.

quote: Brad Miller
*If I "record" a show on the PVR, will it be recorded using the same compression that DirecTV is encoding in, or will it have to re-encode thus losing quality?
The latter. On TiVo you select how lousy the recording is (from three steps, IIRC) and the lousier the quality, the more time you get per disk.

*Is there a model PVR out there that if I say "record this show" will AUTOMATICALLY fire it up a minute or two early and record for a minute or two later? Or do I have to TELL it to do that every time?
TiVo. To record a show regularly you set a "season pass". You can configure that TiVo starts a few minutes early and ends a few minutes late, but there is a gotcha. If you have a show scheduled 7pm-7:30pm, and another 7:30 to 8pm, with no overlap, that works. if you specify start early and/or finish late, then the second show will not be recorded, even (get this) if they are on the same channel...

TiVo also learns what sort of programs you like, and if its got nothing better to do and disk space to spare it will speculatively record them for you. If it needs the space, the speculatively recorded programs get wiped, so there isnt a downside.

*Can I drop a 120 or 200 gig drive in one of those things, or is there more to extending the capture time?
Yep, you can replace the existing drive and/or add another drive, the instructions on how to do it are on the 'net. Basically, you need to "bless" the drive so TiVo recognises it. This involves taking the drive out and putting it temporarily in a PC.

Qualified yes. If TiVo knows about your box, then you can tell TiVo you have this box, and then the program guide includes tha channels it receives, and TiVo will control the box automatically. An IR blaster is supplied in the box.

Nope.

*What is the state of HD recording? Has Jack Valenti's gang royally fucked things up for everyone yet, or can I actually record an HD broadcast? I also have a D-VHS deck (JVC 30000)
If they haven't then they will continue to work till they do so.

In the UK, the TiVo is now only marketed as the Sky Plus satellite receiver, basically a twin tuner satellite box with integrated PVR. They have announced that HDTV playback will require a telly or projector that has a HDMI or DVI with HDCP interface. This basically extends digital rights management down to the telly, so you supposedly cant record the digital stream.

Somehat humorously, the Sky plasma telly doesnt have a compatible interface, so to use the Sky HDTV service you need to buy a non-Sky telly :-)

TiVo is a fabulous thing. You cant explain them to people, but once you have one it truly revoutionises yoiur TV viewing. Here in NZ there is no TiVo; that would be really bad except the telly is so crap it turns out that no TiVo isnt so bad after all.

The TiVo program guide is marketed as optional. It isnt. Without the PG TiVo is almost useless.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-15-2005 09:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some answers, but not all. I have a first-generation TiVo, have had the same unit since TiVo was introduced. TiVo rocks.

My understanding is HD-Tivo with DirecTV-HD can record the DirecTV HD signal without mucking with it at all. I'm not sure what it does with OTA (over-the-air) local HD broadcasts. In regular analog TiVo you can select Best-Medium-Low picture quality on a per-recorded-show basis.

If you create a "Season Pass" for a show (say, "Record every new (non-repeat) episode of this show"), you can tell TiVo to always start/end the recording of that show a little early/late. I don't think there's a global setting for that though, unless it's a feature on newer models. My TiVo didn't have the +/- feature when it was new -- It was added in a later software upgrade (which happens automagically). Of course you can always do that with a one-off recording too.

You could with the old TiVos like mine, although I'm not sure if there was an upper limit in drive size. There's tons of how-to info out there.

My TiVo could change the channels on my Sony sat receiver. But you should probably confirm the specific sat rcvr. There might be some really dumb ones that don't have the required interface.

Nope.

From what I've read, there is little or no copy-management going on right now. But isn't it just a matter of the content distributors toggling a bit in the data stream and wham, it's copy protected. Bastards! I also read an article that said Hollywood doesn't want to distribute anything in true HD over the air or via cable. They're prepared to start cheating on the resolution as soon as they think they're losing money or whatever goes on in their twisted logic.

Hope that helps at least some.

EDIT: Comcast (my cable provider) swears they don't compress the HD broadcasts at all. I can't tell any difference in video quality between what Comcast delivers and what I get from an antenna. This past weekend, FOX broadcast some NASCAR race in HD and I was surprised that I couldn't see any noticeable motion artifacts. That was from cable. Contrast that with the Olympics, where anything that moved turned into a mosaic -- It was truly awful to look at. So a LOT seems to depend on what the original broadcaster is doing. It's not just the downstream carriers that can mess things up, or cheat.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.weaknees.com/

You can get stuff from them to upgrade with. I replaced the 40gb that mine came with with a 120gb without buying enything but the drive. However, if you want to use multiple drives you will need a kit. Also, if you buy the drives from the above link, they are basically just a plug and play type thing, so you would not have to go through the trouble of reformatting the drive.

I dont know much about compression or anything like that but I know some models have options for the quality of the recording. Low, Medium, High I guess. Obviously the lower the quality the less space it takes. On my Mom's Tivo, even the high quality does not look as good as a normal on air show. My tivo, however, does not have any options for this and the recordings look just like a regular show.

An HD tivo is going to run over $1k. I thought that I saw one at frys for around $600 but I must have been mistaken because I cannot find it anywhere online.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-16-2005 12:24 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DirecTV is about to switch everything over to MPEG4 AVC as part of a big expansion plan. Presently their HD uplinks are SCPC (Single Channel Per Carrier) but by switching to MPEG4 they will be able to put four HD uplinks on a single transponder. Starting this year, and completing by 2007, DirecTV will be adding four new Boeing satellites to their constellation to handle the HD expansion. They are going to offer local HD channels in the 12 largest US markets, similar to what they've been doing on their SD service.

To use the new MPEG4 service, customers will need to buy new receivers capable of handling MPEG4.

PC Magazine: DirecTV's Future is MPEG4

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2005 11:33 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen a Lacie non-mirrored RAID one terabyte drive connected to a tivo; although I personally view this as massive overkill.

I really can't figure out why tivo is so popular. Why not use something such as XP media center and record to a hard drive that way?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-23-2005 06:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you why Tivo is so popular....it is VERY EASY and works just as claimed.

I can't remember the last time I opened a box...merely followed the 1, 2, 3 of the instructions (and that is about all the basic instructions there are) and done...everything set everything working.

What you are paying for with Tivo really is the customer service. Their box works as claimed. Just choose what you want to see and let Tivo do the rest.

Despite being nothing more than a VCR for non-keeper tapes with a TV Guide built in, it satisfies a need in today's society. Again, it just works.

Steve

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But of course, there's nothing left on TV that you'd actually want to WATCH with it...

Don Cross
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2005 02:36 PM      Profile for Don Cross   Email Don Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's correct, as its basically plug and play.

Jesse is also correct; in that broadcast television is about half infomercials now. The other half of broadcast television mostly being sports, talk-show, reality based, etc...

Can't wait to see what broadcast television turns into when the broadcasters end their "regular" format signals- to be completely coverted over to hdtv. Wonder how many years that is away??

[ 02-25-2005, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Don Cross ]

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 01:27 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a 40gig TiVo from work and I'm currently upgrading it. There is an AWESOME book you can buy, and it really explains everything (yes, you can hack the shit out of a series 2 as well) call "Hacking the TiVo: 2nd Edition".

In a month or so I'll post my step by step instructions on how to do it...also if anyone buys a TiVo and they want to put my e-mail addy as someone who referred them...I'd be ever grateful [Big Grin]

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 01:20 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Panasonic DMR-E95H. It came DOA with a bad (160 gig) H-drive. It got fixed by the local Panasonic repair place which took about 2 weeks.
If you use satellite TV you may wish to get a dedicated recorder from your respective satellite provider, here's why.

My Satellite tuner has one S-video out. My plasma screen has 1 S-video in. I used to hook it up from the output of the satellite box directly to the plasma screen. When I got the DVR I hooked it up between the satellite box and the plasma screen. The problem is that when the DVR is off it does not pass the S-video signal through, so you have to turn the DVR on for it to work. Why they did not allow for it to pass the signal through is beyond me, but they didn't.

My best solution at this point is to get a S-video "Y" cable and take the signal out of the satellite box and run one leg to the DVR "in" and the other leg to an S-video switch box and an S-video cable from the "output" of the DVR to the switch box. Then an S-video cable from the switch box to the plasma screen. So I'll be able to get signal from either the satellite box or the DVR. If I want to watch the satellite and record at the same time, I'll still have signal going to the DVR via the "Y" cable. My only concern is that there will be some insertion loss from the "Y" cable. I might have to get a amplified splitter instead of the "Y" cable if this is the case.
The point being that no doubt a DVR built into the satellite box would have the ability to pass the signal through without having to have the DVR part running. If I had it to do over I'd go for the satellite/DVR combo unit.
The upside is that I can burn DVDs with the Panasonic unit and I don't know if you can do that with the combo unit

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In November I bought a DISH 921 receiver, that is Dish Network HD PVR. The reason I bought it is because they finally dropped the price to $549 from $1000. I've really enjoyed it. I've never seen any quality problems with HD recording whether over the air or off of the satellite, I recommend it to anyone. The only problem is that Dish Network is lagging behind in HD programing. The only channels that Dish has is ESPNHD, HD-Net, HD-Net Movies, Discovery HD, TNT HD, and with a subsciption HBO East HD and Showtime East HD. The 921 was going to have fire-wire outputs to dump any recordings HD or not onto a D-VHS but have since dropped the fire-wire all together. Hope this helps.

Chase Taylor

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2005 03:29 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One reason I didn't go with the Dish Network 921 is that I didn't want to be handcuffed to Dish Network. I actually tried 3 times to buy the 921, but couldn't get them to answer my inquires.

Once I get this system working right, I can go to Direct TV and not lose my DVR/DVD burner capabilities or have to buy a Direct TV dedicated DVR.

I switched from Direct TV a few years back and might go back, given the HD programming (with new satellites) they say they are going to be moving to, in the next year or two.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-25-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, it's not insertion loss you'll be dealing with so much as an impedance mismatch when you split a 75 ohm baseband video output to two 75 ohm loads. At baseband you'd be better off going with a video distribution amp that has S-video connectors. Radio Shack sells some cheap ones but after having seen their (lack of) quality (rented some for a projection job) I wouldn't recommend them. Perhaps Mr. Guttag will be along with a recommendation for a decent and reasonably priced S-video DA.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: