Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » The Godfather - "The Complete Epic" and "Trilogy"

Author Topic: The Godfather - "The Complete Epic" and "Trilogy"
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-13-2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read a book about the making of The Godfather. It says in the book that there was a "Complete Epic" edited for TV in chronological order in 1977 (parts I and II only, obviously) which also contained several scenes cut from the original movies. Although the chronological editing wouldn't appear to me too be any improvement over the original form - the switching back and forth between the stories works so well in part II -, I would like to see these scenes and wonder if they are restored or included as bonus materials on the recent DVD edition. According to the book, the first video release of the complete trilogy also had the chronological editing and deleted scenes (probably simply the "Epic" cut plus the new movie), with a few small cuts made because of violence and nudity for the TV "Epic" also restored.
In other words, does the DVD edition contain all the material, whether in chronological form or in bonus scenes?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2005 09:45 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVD edition contains the 3 movies as theatrically released with a bonus disc of the deleted/TV movie scenes. I believe I read that not ALL scenes were included on this disc though, but I'm not positive.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-15-2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was, and I have, the Godfather Trilogy on Laserdisc and it was in chronological order. At first this seems like a desriable thing but the edits were clearly for how they were released....the chronological editing actually looks more disjointed than the theatrical editing.

Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-15-2005 01:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve. My parents still have the old VHS release of the trilogy shown in chronological order. You definitely lose something in the dramatics, particularly with Part II, when everything is rearranged in chronological order.

I definitely prefer the DVD box set. I've been meaning to sit down and watch Godfather's I and II again sometime (especially after paying around $50 for the set).

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 01:52 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chronological version aired on cable this week, I think it was either "Spike" or "TNT"

The chronological version has many excellent scenes that are true to the book, and help better explain various things.

Cheers

K.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-03-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 609 days since the last post.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2007 02:01 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chronological/tv version aired on cables BRAVO Channel this weekend. I never saw this version before. It includes the deleted scenes and is quite extensive, following the book.

K

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-03-2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for letting us know *after* it aired!

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bravo and AMC have both been FLOGGING all three picture for the past two months over and over and over...

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-30-2008 09:19 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.

Paramount officially announced The Godfather: the Coppola Restoration Collection for release on September 23, 2008. The box sets will be in the form of a 4-disc Blu-ray package and a 5-disc DVD package. The three movies will also be sold individually, but those individual discs may lack a lot of the newly produced extras. The BD version will feature those extras in high definition.

The first two Godfather films were subject of an intensive frame by frame restoration supervised by Robert A. Harris with input from Francis Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis. The project, using a 4K digital intermediate, took a year to complete. Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits website was treated to a screening of the finished product and says the results are "breathtaking." Apparently the restoration puts the previously released DVD box set to shame.

The MSRP of the BD and DVD box sets is $119.99 and $72.99.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
The Godfather Trilogy is beautiful on Blu-ray and it's on sale at Amazon for only $61.95. Highly recommended.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: