Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Carnivale

Author Topic: Carnivale
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if the production methods for DVDs are getting better or it's because Carnivale was "filmed" in HD, but the detail of the "Season One" (of Carnivale) collection is striking. Maybe it's because we're used to watching it on The Dish Network and are used to the compression and poor picture quality there.
I'm using a cheesey (but zoneless) CyberHome 500 player and plasma display and I swear you can count the threads in the costumes. If this is typical of HD, I'm in.

|  IP: Logged

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 10:07 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carnivale was filmed in Super35 on KODAK stock and framed for 16:9 HD. I agree and it looks fantastic on the ABC channel here in Australia.
Feels more like it's shot for Cinema than Television.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 01-18-2005 11:25 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
I don't know if the production methods for DVDs are getting better or it's because Carnivale was "filmed" in HD, but the detail of the "Season One" (of Carnivale) collection is striking.
Carnivale owes its unique "look" and quality to great cinematography using FILM!:

"Carnivale Cinematography"

quote:
Jur composes the show in Super 35, protecting for the 16:9 HD frame. Most exteriors are shot on Eastman EXR 100T 5248 film with occasional use of the 250-speed Kodak Vision 5246 daylight film. He shoots 320-speed Kodak Vision 5277 tungsten for most interior scenes. “We tested the 320 stock and pushed the contrast,” he says. “We wanted the highlights to blow out, to go to a beautiful warm white tone. It has a grainier, more photographic structure that works for this story. There’s so much detail that can come through in telecine. I usually end up just lighting by eye, making sure the balance is right.”

"Carnivale" Credits

quote:
Carnivale

• Producer: HBO

• Creator: Daniel Knauf

• DPs: Jeff Jur, Tami Reiker, and James M. Glennon

• Postproduction: Encore Hollywood

• Final Colorist: Pankaj Bajpai

ASC Awards

quote:
Tami Reiker, Jeff Jur, ASC and Pierre Gill, CSC claimed ASC Outstanding Achievement Awards in the television competitions. Reiker won the cable award for the Carnivale pilot, which aired on Home Box Office. Jur took top honors for "Pick a Number," an episode of Carnivale.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the show? I was looking at that set at Costco the other day and almost picked it up.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It takes place in '34. Basically a battle between the force of good and evil, in a religious sense, with a little bit of personal relations (sex) thrown in. There's a guy that can heal by touching, but he doesn't know how to use his powers and is semi ashamed at having them. Then there's this methodist minister that has some (or rather is becoming aware of them)interesting powers too, he's in California. Their paths are going to cross as they seem to be at odds with each other.... It's very intriguing and very atmospheric and basically takes place in the world of a flim-flam carnival.

Try "Deep Discount DVD" on line for a good deal and free shipping

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: