Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 24 Season 1: "Crew In The Shot" Goofs **SPOILER WARNING**

Author Topic: 24 Season 1: "Crew In The Shot" Goofs **SPOILER WARNING**
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-13-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: Added spoiler warning for folks who haven't seen the show yet and who want to.

While watching my season 1 DVD set of "24", I noticed in one episode where a camera guy walks into the right hand side of the picture, which I thought was pretty funny and distracting at the same time.

Later in the series (same season, about four episodes later - episode 13 to be exact, at 25 minutes 35 seconds) this happened...

You have in the foreground the three principal actors. The daughter in the red shirt just finishes saying "There's no one around" and stands up to walk away. And as we pan out, we see that on the left of the image for about two seconds or so, there is indeed someone around! Not sure who he is, but I'm pretty sure he isn't supposed to be there!

I'm a newcomer to this show, and I like it, but now I'm curious... Is this show notorious for these kind of gaffs? I mean they're both pretty blatant. Not like a microphone boom sneaking in on the top of the image. These are PEOPLE that are in frame and not supposed to be.

-

[ 01-14-2005, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Mark J. Marshall ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-17-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finished up the first season and started the second, and I have to say that so far it looks like their budget doubled, so I wonder how many more goofs I'll see with this series!

Great show, by the way.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2005 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this could be a framing issue, wasn't 24 aired full screen originally?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2005 06:13 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. The show while shot in widescreen, for the HD presentation (though I dont believe that Fox HD was ready in time), the actual broadcast was in full screen. However the DVDs are all in widescreen.

Great show BTW it is amazing that the writing is so good that they can hold the viewer's interest for almost the entire time (though there is always a storyline or two that drag on for a little two long). It is almost watching a 24 hour long movie.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 01-19-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
I wonder if this could be a framing issue, wasn't 24 aired full screen originally?

Although it was intended for widescreen HD broadcast, as was stated FOX was not yet airing HD broadcast, so only the full screen was ever aired. The production staff didn't take into account that DVD's would be released in widescreen so they didn't bother to make sure the entire frame was clear on every shot.

So the goof was just that there was no communication between fox video and fox television and the studio producing the series for fox. Much more attention is paid to that widescreen detail now.

ciao mon

dave

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-20-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm about halfway through the season 2 DVDs now, and I have to say that the quality of the disks has gone up exponentially.

What a great show! I think watching it the way I'm watching it (DVDs, no commercials, with the option of jumping right into the next episode) is the way to go. I dunno if I could stand watching it on TV with all of the interruptions. I'd probably go crazy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: