Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » "Gigi" (1958) DVD

Author Topic: "Gigi" (1958) DVD
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 06:56 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got a look at this one last night. For the most part, Gigi looked really good. There was some pre-print issues especially in the MGM logo at the beginning. Couldn't they have removed the white specks around the MGM lion?

The final reel of the film has fading issues. It's too bad that the last hurrah of the MGM musicals has to be the one that has problems.

The DVD is from Warner Home Video. The stereo sound is a bit hissy, but it sounded nice, especially the orchestra recordings. I'd buy a copy for the music.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-29-2004 06:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a great film and even the Laser Disk I have looks and sounds pretty good. I wonder if this is a new mastering or just a rehash of whats on my laser disk. This film suffers a tiny bit from the anamorphic mumps but its not real bad. Cetainly much more worthwhile than wasting time with "The Jazz Singer"!

Mark

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2004 07:30 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno Mark. I was happy with the vivid color, and the sharp image on my 27" TV.

The Jazz Singer is good for what it is. A creaky movie that happens to have sound. I like most films that I see for one reason or another... [thumbsup]

Seeing some films gets me [sex]

Others get me [sleep]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: