Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » 16mm/35mm collectors needed to help improve Fleischer Color Classics DVD collection!

Author Topic: 16mm/35mm collectors needed to help improve Fleischer Color Classics DVD collection!
Patrick J. McCart
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2004 08:52 PM      Profile for Patrick J. McCart   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick J. McCart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELP WANTED!

Two years ago I helped Kit Parker Films and VCI Entertainment put out
a dvd compilation of Max Fleischer Color Classics, under the title
SOMEWHERE IN DREAMLAND. It sold moderately well, in fact VCI is
completely sold out at the warehouse. Before they do another press
run, I'd like to "fix" the problems and upgrade the quality.

VCI is going to correct the authoring and technical imperfections
(sound pops, menu problems, etc.). I'm on the hunt for better print
elements. I'd had several collectors write in to tell me they have a
color print of TIME FOR LOVE. If that was you, I'd like to borrow it.
If you have better copies (16mm or 35mm film only) of COBWEB HOTEL,
FRESH VEGETABLE MYSTERY, PEEPING PENGUINS, or better copies of any of
the Color Classics than were on the disc, and are willing to loan them
to me, contact me at

I don't need any video copies - and yes, I know the original materials
are at UCLA Archives, but without permission of
Republic/Paramount/Viacom we can't touch 'em.
Thanks!

[ 10-26-2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-26-2004 03:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick J. McCart
I'd like to borrow it.
If you have better copies (16mm or 35mm film only) of COBWEB HOTEL,
FRESH VEGETABLE MYSTERY, PEEPING PENGUINS, or better copies of any of
the Color Classics than were on the disc, and are willing to loan them
to me

While I'm not pointing the finger at Pat, and even though I am not an active collector today I wouldn't reccomend that anyone loan, or ask anyone to loan any film to anyone unless it was directly to a studio... and even then I would be very hesitant unless perhaps it was under my own direct supervision. A friend of mine loaned a 70mm print of a famous chase movie years back to aid in the resotration of it for Laser Disk release. Not only did he not get his own print back but the one he did get back was vinegared and warped to heck....unrunnable. There obviously was someone dishonest in the chain of events on that occurance but he had no way to prove anything and lost his quite rare print as a result of being a nice guy. He suspected that another collector that was assisting in the transfers switched it but could never prove anything one way or the other.

Mark

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2004 08:31 AM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't second that warning strongly enough. I loaned some prints for transfer several years ago. They went to a "Highly respected, Archival friendly, state of the Art" transfer facility which managed to take 2 mint prints & turn them into low grade Dog meat. I'll still loan my material BUT, as a "Bonus" they get my ugly self parked on their doorstep at their expense. Plane, Hotel, Hooker money etc. And I don't let the print out of my sight. [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2004 11:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My problem with this is that the guy wants to make DVDs, but doesn't have permission to get the masters from the copyright holders. At least that seems to be what is going on.

By the way, that guy is NOT Patrick above. He just copied some help wanted ad from another website.

I am closing this thread and deleting references to the above. This does not belong here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: