Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Donnie Darko Dir. Cut DVD?

Author Topic: Donnie Darko Dir. Cut DVD?
Nate Lehrke
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 01:39 AM      Profile for Nate Lehrke   Email Nate Lehrke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw Donnie Darko & want to buy the DVD. Does anyone know if the current re-released Directors Cut will be, or is already on, DVD?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-07-2004 01:48 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what my freinds have told me, most of the scenes on the director's cut are in the deleted scenes of the standard edition dvd.

I wouldn't know for sure, I've only seen the Director's Cut currently in theatres. Great movie!

David Woodrow
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 06:13 AM      Profile for David Woodrow   Email David Woodrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Directors Cut will be released in the UK (region 2) will be released on 4th October details on amazon.co.uk

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-07-2004 09:56 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Director Richard Kelly talks about the Donnie Darko director's cut on DVD.

Original Link: http://movieweb.com/news/news.php?id=3548

quote:
Some of the new material was on the DVD release but you're adding footage that you originally held back. Did you always have a Director's Cut in mind?

When I made the DVD the first time around I knew that it was going to be a compromised DVD at best - in terms of the packaging. On the first Region 1 DVD I did finagle my way in with the programmers though and we worked with means well beyond our budget 'cause they were fans of the film. But in the back of my mind I did think that maybe one day I'd get to do a director's cut so I saved some stuff that would be a real surprise for people. In hindsight I'm glad that I did as this material is stuff that even people who've seen the DVD thirty times will still be surprised by.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 02:39 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what ever happened to the re-release in cinemas? I know the soundtrack on the DVD and Film are not the orginals (Tears for Fears instead of Pet Shop Boys, etc.) but I thought it was supposed to come out in september or something in theatres again.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 04:20 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Director's Cut was released in theatres here in the SF Bay Area on 09/03/04.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2004 06:21 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pet Shop Boys? Huh? That wasn't in the soundtrack. Two versions of "Mad World"...the original by Tears For Fears (new cd coming soon!), and a alternate version by Gary Jules (his solo cd is terrible). Donnie Darko soundtrack on cd is a score, with the Mad World tracks on it. Directors Cut rerelease film is currently playing in Milwaukee at 1 theatre. I've heard that the rerelease has the deleted dvd scenes in it, and a somewhat different score. I dunno, why mess with a good thing. What's next, a prequel to Donnie Darko????? Gosh, what a kickass film, I've seen it around 20+ times.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pet Shop Boys song East End Boys and West End Girls (not sure the actualy name) is supposed to be there in leau of Notorious by Duran Duran. The re-release is supposed to correct this

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2004 03:25 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it doesn't.

carl

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2004 09:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the current reissue still has Notorious as the song for "Sparkle Motion." Apparently, the "festival" version (which at least one theatre that I know of actually got [by mistake?] last spring) has the Pet Shop Boys song (and also a U2 song with the opening scene). I didn't see it myself, so I don't know the details.

I've seen (and shown) the original theatrical version and just saw the director's cut tonight. I really don't think that the added scenes add much at all to the film. On the other hand, they don't detract from it, either. The original prints looked much better than the director's cut prints, however.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2004 05:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened Donnie Darko: Directors Cut on Friday, September 10th. We had wanted to just open the film for our Midnight Film Series but the distributor wanted a full schedule. We played it at midnight anyway.

Here is the hourly attendence for Donnie Darko for Friday.

1:10 PM = 14
3:50 PM = 15
6:40 PM = 42
9:15 PM = 61

Total Day = 132
12:01 AM = 257 [Eek!]

Presales for Saturday midnight = 71 [Cool]

17 chose to view Garden State as an alternative.

And Saturday at midnight:

1:10 PM = 36
3:50 PM = 51
6:40 PM = 61
9:15 PM = 58

Total Day = 206
12:01 AM = 259

23 chose to view Garden State as an alternative.

I understand we will keep it at Midnight next weekend as well to play with Psycho.

Ain't that a kick in the pants! [thumbsup]

[ 09-12-2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: Ian Price ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: