Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Recommend to me an HDTV. A good one. One that I would want. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Recommend to me an HDTV. A good one. One that I would want.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-01-2004 07:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the market for an HDTV. Unfortunately I have high standards and cannot settle for LCD, Plasma, or DLP. That leaves me with CRT. Why? Because I want a set that NATIVELY displays 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i in their proper modes. Non of this up or downscaling crap. If a picture is 720p, I want to see it in 720p. I don't want to see it "uprezed" to 1080i. Screw that. That is retarded. Unfortunately most HDTV sets do just that. And LCD, Plasma, and DLP all have 1 fixed resolution, which is also retarded. Please suggest a non-retarded TV. I am looking for something between 33" and 40" or so. No projection. I want to be able to view the screen from more than 12 degrees.

I have been looking at the Sony KV34XBR910. Does that support 720p natively?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2004 08:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a 6000 lumen 3 chip DLP projector for each format you want to run and just stack them up all preset, then just turn on the one you need depending on the format you want. Assuming you choose a proper screen, you'll have just as wide of viewing range. Plus 6000 lumen projectors shrank down to 40 inches would be great provided you get a gain screen. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-01-2004 08:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not bright enough, especially with my 6 foot throw distance. Plus they don't make DLP projectors in exact HDTV resolutions. Instead they are made to act as computer monitors. They have square aspect ratios. Retarded.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-01-2004 08:55 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to an article in In Focus magazine, them new fangled 2k DLP projectors have a rectangular DMD array.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2004 06:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I demand more responses to this thread, and I also insist that they be constructive and help me in my situation.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-02-2004 06:46 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could offer some constructive suggestions. But I'm just not happy at all with the product offerings in the HDTV market right now. As you said, many of those monitors don't display true 1080i HD. That's a deal breaker for me at least.

I'll tell you what's retarded. Those overpriced, small-ish LCD TVs. They have shitty resolution yet carry price tags upwards of $4,000. The 30" Apple Studio Cinema Display has a native resolution of 2560 X 1600. Why is it that the computer monitor makers can kick ass on resolution but the TV makers can't get out of puny-rez territory?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've often wondered that myself. Monitors switch resolutions easily to match the input signal and refresh rate of the signal, but TVs have to up and downscale to fit. Retarded! Also, most TV's do 1080i natively, but not 720p.

I'd get a D-VHS machine as well, but Kill Bills aren't available!!!! That makes me angry.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2004 11:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess for Joe I can offer hima nice 1946 RCA set that I have here. Really, you guys are way too wrapped up in the wrong place! Resolution is adaquate on most new HD sets. Except for artifacts todays HD picture quality sure beats the pants off of NTSC. What you need to be alot more concerned about is all the artifacts in fast moving images, dissolves, effects and such that are inherent in HDTV. The artifacts are alot bigger problem and will become even more visable in higher resolution displays. They have a looooong way to go with data compression tweeks and other problems that are inherent in the system. I'd be willing to bet that for now and probably the long forseable future you'll probably have to be happy with things the way they are. HDTV is just another set of compromises anyway.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2004 11:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Compromises kick ass!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-03-2004 12:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Really, you guys are way too wrapped up in the wrong place! Resolution is adaquate on most new HD sets.
Then what is the point of even buying a High Definition Television in the first place? I could just as easily say NTSC/480p has "adequate resolution." It sure costs a hell of a lot less.

What point is there in having the broadcast and electronics industries develop these 720p and 1080i "formats" if none of the televisions on the market can show them natively in ALL of their picture detail?

I especially have to wonder about that one given the very expensive prices all those companies ask for those products.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not blowing thousands of dollars on a high end television until it can honestly address that 1920 X 1080 pixel specification. Computer monitors seem to have no problem doing that. This is one reason why it is very likely the first HDTV setup I'll have in my home will be via a computer system. There are add-in cards for PCs with HDTV tuners and other imputs for HD signals. And it doesn't cost the giant fortune commanded by those big, but low rez televisions.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-03-2004 01:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NTSC is 525i, not 480p!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2004 01:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say that Bobby must be using some of that I-30 stuff !
I just bought a 17" LCD set and it didn't cost 4000.00. It cost a tad over 700.00 for 1280 X 768 resolution and the picture quality is light years ahead of any NTSC TV set in its size class. There are 30" LCD sets you can buy for under 3000.00 that will do the same resolution which is a hell of alot better than the old standard of 525i. Since the off air HD receivers in reality do the up or down converting what difference does it really make what the TV does since its going to live on 1080i?

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-03-2004 05:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
NTSC is 525i, not 480p!
True; I threw the "480p" thing in there for all the DVD stuff. I wish folks were as nitpicky when it comes to the HD displays and how many pixels they can natively show.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Since the off air HD receivers in reality do the up or down converting what difference does it really make what the TV does since its going to live on 1080i?
The difference is most of the TVs have a fixed, native resolution unable to display all of the detail of a 1080i picture. The best you're able to do with most flat screen displays, LCD or plasma is in the neighborhood of 1280 X 720 or 1300 X 800. That's a long way off from 1920 X 1080.

I know broadcast HD and highly compressed satellite HD signals are compromised. BUT! Those are not the only HD signals you're going to be feeding such a monitor. D-VHS "D-Theater" tapes show a lot more detail and wider data bandwidths than typical satellite broadcast signals. Other playback formats will improve past what D-VHS can do.

I would much rather have the limitations in HD lay in the broadcast signal or the playback format rather than have terrible limitations right there in the hardware. The "software" can be improved. It's a lot more expensive for you to have to upgrade your hardware when the electronics companies decide they want to finally get it right after all these years. I'll get in line to buy when they provide some products I feel do the job well enough. Until then, my "big ticket item" money is going to be directed at purchasing new computer and video gear. HD can wait for my dollars.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-03-2004 06:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, most of us want to do much more than just "watch TV" with HDTV. That may be all you do, but that will be the LEAST of what I would do. Videogames use 100% uncompressed HDTV signals since they don't have to be "encoded" first. Just raw output. And I don't want that signal fucked with in the display.

I want a CRT TV and most of those can do the full 1080i. But even so, they don't truly support 720p. They "upscale" it to the slightly flickery 1080i. Who the hell wants interlaced, anyway? Interlacing should be illegal. I want 1080p, not wimpy retarded-ass 1080i. Since it is interlaced, the actual picture detail is LESS than 720p.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2004 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
Then its all settled... just go out and buy a CRT based projector or TV or what ever. But you will have to live with what ever up or downscaling has to be done in what ever you buy. Remember that CD's were not perfect when they were introduced either, actually they rather sucked as to the sound quality. Right now HDTV pretty much sucks overall but its still alot better than the old hat. I can certainly see that you have time to play games but I have zero time for games per say and barely have much time to watch TV as it is. The one thing to remember is that the CRT's in your new will begin to peter out after just a few hundred hours. Its more of a phosphor/heat issue then a gun issue. The phosphor in projection CRT's goes way before the gun and generally results in alot softer image. This was once pointed out by a friend that owns a large rental house outside of Chicago, and yes, I got to see the difference between two Barco sets. One that had 400 hours on it and one that had just been re-tubed....startling difference! So as your resolutuion peters out you will probably just become more frustrated with the whole thing, then you WILL begin to kick ass but it may be your own [Eek!] !

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: