Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » JVC VHS HDTV Recorders

Author Topic: JVC VHS HDTV Recorders
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2004 02:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone used either the JVC model 3000 or 4000 D-VHS recorders, or seen them work at all? How is the quality and how expensive are the tapes? This seems to be the only consumer way to record HDTV so far that I am aware of....

Thanks for any input!!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-18-2004 03:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents have a JVC D-VHS machine, but I couldn't tell you the model number. They have had the machine for nearly 2 years; it may be the first model JVC released.

I haven't seen how well the machine does on recording HD content, but the pre-recorded D-Theater tapes generally look great. The picture detail is far sharper than DVD. Depending on the movie you watch the audio quality can also be improved. Dolby Digital runs at a 576kb/s bitrate on D-VHS (versus the 384kb/s and 448kb/s standards of DVD). Some new D-VHS releases such as "True Lies," "Speed" and "Moulin Rouge" feature both Dolby Digital and DTS audio tracks. And the DTS tracks are encoded at the "full" 1509kb/s data rate, unlike the 754kb/s level we commonly see on DVD.

I've seen 32GB D-VHS tapes in stores selling for $19 to $25 per tape. They hold up to 300 minutes, depending on recording mode. 420 minute tapes are also available.

I think it is kind of wierd how D-VHS tapes look just like old VHS tapes. Same shell, just a much more advanced kind of video tape spooled inside of it.

One other nifty feature about D-VHS decks is they have one or two Firewire terminals for receiving digital input from camcorders.

I don't have an HDTV setup in my home yet, and may not for some time to come. If I buy a new video tape deck, I'm going to get that dual-deck MiniDV / S-VHS deck JVC sells. I can make a lot more use of that. Unlike the D-VHS decks, this dual-deck one will at least interface with a personal computer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2004 04:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bobby! I was wondering how costly the tape was for that format. I sort of see it as an interim format anyway, but I might actually get one for now. With the firewire ports on the back I guess I could transfer anything I taped in HD over to HD DVD when those recorders become available on the future.

On a good note DTV receiver prices are plumetting with the direct view 16X9 Samsung CRT model selling retail for just 699.00 at Target no less. I purchased a Samsung 17" 16X9 HD LCD set for the bedroom not too long ago for 829.00 retail at Best Buy. With DTV transmitter penetration now covering about 96% of all the U.S. Tv markets the DTV off air tuners have halved in retail price over the last two months, most are now in the 300.00 range. Many stations here are taking advantage of the multiple transmission channels afforded by DTV with most transmitting at least two channels of programming and some as many as four. JVC has also offered the first HDTV camcorder priced at 3495.00. All on all owning a DTV set is well worth it aside from the HD that you get on about 50% of the programming the extra channels are worth it alone and are free. Pretty amazing!

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2004 05:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a model 3000 D-VHS machine. Other than it having an annoying front panel that flaps open and so big it occupies half of the room, it works great! Tapes are around $14 and will record 5 hours in standard mode and 2.5 in HD mode. It also does a better job of recording S-VHS and standard VHS than normal decks.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-18-2004 05:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first wave of HD-capable PVRs is coming out. A guy at work bought one of new HD DirecTV/Tivo PVRs, with an integrated ATSC tuner, and he loves it.

HD DirecTV /Tivo PVR

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: