Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Flight of the Navigator DVD

Author Topic: Flight of the Navigator DVD
James B. Openshaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2004 11:51 PM      Profile for James B. Openshaw   Author's Homepage   Email James B. Openshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who remembers this classic Disney live-action film? One of very few (if not the only) Disney-branded films that had actors saying sh@% and many other explicatives.

This movie was released on DVD back in June. It's theatrical release was in 1986. The acting by many not-so-famous actors and actresses were not bad. It was directed by Randal Kleiser who also directed 'Grease' as well as episodes of 'Starsky and Hutch' (references to these were mentioned in the movie). The voice of Max was provided in both a serious and humorous tone by they very infamous Paul Reubens (credited as Paul Mall). A very good family-oriented Sci-fi/adventure film with very nice aerial shots.

The DVD itself was both impressive by means of video and audio transition but very poor in its additional features. The movie was presented in 2.0 Dolby Digital, which nicely accentuates Alan Silvestri's synthesized soundtrack. As for the additional features, I really have nothing to say, because that's all there is...nothing. No theatrical trailer, no cast or crew bios, and a cheaply done menu (accompanied by music from the movie), whoop-de-friggin-do. That's the wonderful Team Disney with crap menus but previews to other Disney DVD failures that come up before the Main Menu itself. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, I'm sure no one still knows what I'm talking about, but that's my review of this recent Disney classic (If one thinks of the 80's as classic yet.)

Movie: [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
DVD transition: A+
Additional Features: [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2004 11:47 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i remember that movie. i actually saw it in theatres. for a young kid, it was the greatest movie and seeing a young sarah jessica parker wasn't bad either. i remember the video being released and watching it over and over back in the 80's, eventually losing the video tape.

other than sarah jessica parker, paul ruben was the only other "big name" i guess, i think the "dad" was in a few other 80's movies, particularly disney movies. im glad you brought this movie up, im glad disney transfered it to dvd format, thanks James [Big Grin] .

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 07-18-2004 03:12 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a cool movie - I think I have it laying around here on VHS someplace... I thought the gas station scene was pretty cool.

Another one from that timeframe that I liked was "Explorers".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: