Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Shogun Assassin(1980) -Crazy Aspect Ratio

Author Topic: Shogun Assassin(1980) -Crazy Aspect Ratio
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2004 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought this DVD- the first thing I noticed was the crazy aspect ratio it has been mastered in. On my TV the image is only a few inches tall. It must be at least 3.00:1. I've seen Ben Hur letterboxed at 2.77:1 before and that image was taller that this!

I've only watched about 15mins of it so far. I'ts going to give me a headace trying to watch it on a portable TV.

EDIT: Yeah, measures up to be about 3:1
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-11-2004 06:35 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The correct AR for that film is 2.35:1

That looks a little squashed to me. They probably set up the DVD incorectly, making your dvd player think it is an animorphic transfer, when in fact, it is not. Tinker with your DVD setup menus and change the anamorphic seting to 16x9. (Yes, I know your tv isn't 16x9. Just do it anyway) That should unsquash it.

Make sure you return your setting back to normal before playing another DVD.

Patrick J. McCart
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2004 05:08 PM      Profile for Patrick J. McCart   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick J. McCart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like they took a 4x3 letterboxed transfer and 16x9 encoded it. That would cause a 2.35:1 image to appear to be 3.15:1.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: