Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » DVD files on CD/R

Author Topic: DVD files on CD/R
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-04-2004 07:25 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you burn DVD files onto a CD/R disk will an ordinary DVD player play it?

Granted the capacity would be very limited compared to a DVD but would it work? Certainly the typical DVD player can play audio CD's and many can play or display data CD's oaded with mp3's or jpgs so physically they are capable. But would they balk at DVD format being carried on a CD/R instead of a DVD disk?

What files does a standalone player look for?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-04-2004 08:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it can work, but it depends on the DVD player. Some will do it, others won't. The DVD player looks for the normal VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. I was able to record a short thingy to CD-R as a DVD file, but it wouldn't work in my player. However it DID work in Brad's DVD player. The best ting you can do is just to try it. CD-R's are about a penny for 10 of them, and landfills are in danger of becoming empty if we don't keep them full, so there is nothing to lose.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 01:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe said it all. I've heard these called MiniDVDs. They all should play in a PC however. Too bad my old Pioneer won't recognize them. Grrr....

AJG

Rob Butler
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2004 06:39 PM      Profile for Rob Butler   Email Rob Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'd probibly be able to fit more video on a VCD than a cd-r in DVD format, the quality goes down a little tho.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-05-2004 07:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big limitation is data transfer speed. DVD-V discs can have sustained transfer rates up to 10 million bits of data per second off of the disc. A standard CD-ROM disc drive is typically not able to do this for a variety of reasons. Some of it has to do with the physical size of the data spots on the disc and speed the drive spins off those chunks of data. And then you have the IDE/ATA interface the drive uses. That has lots of limitations on sustained data transfer capability. Some DVD players may be able to spin a CD fast enough to play some DVD quality files off of the disc. But I would bet that it would work only in certain cases, such as highly compressed DVD material running under 4Mb per second.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: