Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » The Afterlife   » Bose Humor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bose Humor
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2004 08:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this on another audio site today and had to share it with all of you....

-

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2004 09:00 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha.

Go to any Home Theater website and do a search on Bose. Some of the posts that people have made about their hatred of Bose is downright hilarious.

About a year ago, someone posted a situation they were in at a home show and visited the " Bose Room " for a demo. Most of the room is curtained off except the for the speakers and a display monitor.

After watching the demo, the guy peeked behind the curtains and saw what was powering the demo, and it wasn't their little convenient Lifestyles unit. The guy said he saw Krell amps running back there.

But Bose does have one fantastic marketing department. Offering stores and salespeople concessions for every Bose product they sell. Too bad Dr. Bose couldn't take that money and invest it into solid cabinets and better quality drivers.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-09-2004 09:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when I get into discussions with people about sound, and the conversation turns to Bose. People are always telling me about how great their systems sound. I don't get it. Have people actually listened to these systems, or do they just believe Bose sounds better because they've been taught to believe that by slick marketing and high prices?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2004 11:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Amar "I'll sue your ass if you don't like my speakers!" Bose

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bose sued JBL over some patent issues concerning the port design in their home speakers. This caused them to change their designs in the Northridge and Studio series.

I still haven't heard any Bose system play heavy metal or hard rock music, as most of the demos play classical music. The real test would be to hear how those little cubes can hold up to some AC/DC.

Doesn't anyone else find it funny how they don't post the specs on their speakers?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 11:22 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, products have to meet manufacturers' published specifications.

86 year old radio broadcaster Paul Harvey endorses Bose products:

http://dir.salon.com/people/bc/2001/09/25/harvey/index.html

quote:
...you'll keep on caring when he proclaims, "Now, Page 2," and seamlessly segues from current events to an impassioned pitch for Chevy's Impala or the dietary supplement Citracal (the "cit" is for "citrus," the "cal" is for "calcium" ... did you know that osteoporosis is pre-ven-ta-ble?), or the Bose Wave Radio. Lord, how he loves that radio....

...During another 1988 television appearance, CNN's Larry King asked him if being such an unabashed shill (though not in those words) had affected his reputation as a broadcaster. Defending himself adamantly, Harvey proclaimed in that impossibly cool and confident manner of his, "These people are putting their money where my mouth is. And if I were to turn my back on them and say someone else has to do that commercial, I wouldn't do it. This is a dreadful affront. Some days," he continued, expounding on his oft-stated belief, "the best news in the broadcast is the commercial...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 12:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bose sued Consumer Reports over negative comments CR made about Bose speakers.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 07:53 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Harvey was promoting Bose car audio in 1982-85, too. In fact, one of the reasons that I bought my 1985 Oldsmobile Toronado in 1986 was the Delco-Bose system that it uses.

Now, in 2004, I've replaced the Blaupunkt tape deck in the Delco radio, and re-coned all of the speakers in the Bose system, along with all of the capacitors in the individual amplifiers.

The thing will once again rattle my windows.

It can't hold a candle to one of these rolling boom boxes that I usually follow down the road...

I've never owned any other Bose system. I didn't like what I saw a few years ago at Circuit City, and bought Cerwin Vegas.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Harvey? Yeah! What a great endorsement! I'm SURE he **MUST** be a great judge of the superb sound that Bose has *ALWAYS* had. [puke]

I mean at 86, he must be deaf in one ear and can't hear in the other. Yeah! I love the 300-3000 Hz response of the "experts"!

ANOTHER "Golden Ear"!

I gunna go git me a Bose system and then go to Disneyland!

>>> Phil

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-10-2004 09:53 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly don't pretend to have the sense of hearing I had when I was twenty. Unfortunately, many ruin their hearing at an early age today, especially with personal headsets you can hear playing from across the street. [Frown]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-10-2004 10:08 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree John, many people have damaged their hearing over the years by listening to audio at a much too high level...headphones or not.

And it starts much earlier than in their 20's whether from "natural" causes or from the mechanical damage from loud music.

>>> Phil

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2004 10:19 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My hearing loss has been a gradual thing since birth. I usually use headphones alot to listen to music at a comfortable level, but I've heard things here and there how they say the bacteria levels on headphones may be bad. I noticed how some early broadcasters are deaf in one ear where they held the headphone to their ear. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2004 10:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I gunna go git me a Bose system and then go to Disneyland!"

And Phil, don't forget to take your Paul Harvey Occular Regeneration medecine so you know for sure that you're really at Disneyland and knott Knotts Berry Farm when you get there [eyes] Now you know the rest of the story .

Good Day!

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 03:44 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GM was installing Bose systems in all their higher end cars in the mid to late 80's. All the Corvettes from that era have Bose systems installed.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2004 06:59 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Ron, Once when my Delco-Bose (DB) was dead, I borrowed a DB radio out of a Corvette so I could make a drive to New Orleans and Mardi Gras. It worked, but it really sucked. GM claimed that all the different radios were EQ'd to the interior of the cars. I was sure glad when I got mine fixed and back in the car. Had to drive 10 hours with the dash board all ripped apart and ugly. Had my usual good time at Mardi Gras, and drove home.

The MAIN reason that I have never updated this system is: It would be a major pain to do in this car.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: